Top Shelf Aquatics

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

When I use the epoxy I don't so much rely on it for all the structure support. I drill holes, fill the holes with epoxy, then the acrylic/plastic rod so it's not visible in my rockwork.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the scape!! They say epoxy gets covered with coraline Or other algae, but ne never has. Hoping to grow some zoas over it. I had my heater in my ac70 in my 5.5 and 10 gallon. Works like a charm... keep an eye out for stuck impellers though...

Thanks! The room it's in a just a bit chilly and I have the heater set to 80-82ish (It's hard to tell exactly what the setting is the way the thermostat is on the heater) and the tank is like 78-79 degrees at best. I may give it a try, though.

When I use the epoxy I don't so much rely on it for all the structure support. I drill holes, fill the holes with epoxy, then the acrylic/plastic rod so it's not visible in my rockwork.

I was going to try your suggestion, but the rock bits are too small around the edges to drill and put hanger rods in - I was afraid that the structure would give way and I would just have a bunch of small LR chunks.

I think for my next pico in the future I may make my own rocks. I like the way IPSF has done it and I saw something on some thread recently about buying a DIY kit from magna rocks or something like that. Then you can shape them however you want, which is pretty cool, imo.

lnglostsurfer

Hey man, good choice with the 5.5! (and I really like the black silicone on that deep blue tank, definitely jealous there).

Didn't read every single post in the thread, but what light did you end up going with? For the sand issue, that's why I tried to put my filter across the short end to try to disperse it a bit better but I don't know that you could with the AC70, probably quite a bit too long. I've been debating on running one of the small koralia's with my HOB but I don't want to clutter it up, would just be nice to have a little more flow for a few of my corals.

Good luck, you're off to a great start!

Hey man, good choice with the 5.5! (and I really like the black silicone on that deep blue tank, definitely jealous there).

Didn't read every single post in the thread, but what light did you end up going with? For the sand issue, that's why I tried to put my filter across the short end to try to disperse it a bit better but I don't know that you could with the AC70, probably quite a bit too long. I've been debating on running one of the small koralia's with my HOB but I don't want to clutter it up, would just be nice to have a little more flow for a few of my corals.

Good luck, you're off to a great start!

Thanks! I love the deep blue tank so far.

The AC70 is too big to go on the short side of the tank by about 4-5 inches, I think.

As for my light, I am getting the 14w 18K coral compulsion Par30. Gena has one and it looks amazing. So does Sandeep. I'd love to have the nanobox tide at some point, but for now the CC light will work. I'm going to order one next month, I think.

Regardless, I'm going to try and get as much of my equipment for this tank from NR sponsors as I can. With all the options on here, I don't see why I can't.

I love the new scape!

How much does the Nanobox Tide sell for?

Thanks! I'm going to have to glue it some.

250 for the light, 50 for the storm controller

Thanks! I'm going to have to glue it some.

250 for the light, 50 for the storm controller

Wow, pricey! Good lighting is definitely not the cheap part of the hobby.

I'm pretty happy with the light I got (and you're getting), and the price was just right for what I needed out of the light.

Wow, pricey! Good lighting is definitely not the cheap part of the hobby.

I'm pretty happy with the light I got (and you're getting), and the price was just right for what I needed out of the light.

That's why i am going with the coral compulsion bulb for now. Nano box is my dream light

That's why i am going with the coral compulsion bulb for now. Nano box is my dream light

They are really sweet! They even make a $10 rimmed petco brand 10g look good!

1167268_10101784238104589_1928241124_o_z

Looks good!

Anyone know how long saltwater can sit for? Technically if it's sealed, it shouldn't go bad other than bacterial/fungal growth. I only ask because I am not sure how much water I should make at a time. I think I'll probably stick with 1/2 gallon batches.

jedimasterben

Mix as much as you want. I mix it in 20-30 gallon batches, depends on which of my mixing cans is available. I have only been using 1-2 gallons each time.

Mix as much as you want. I mix it in 20-30 gallon batches, depends on which of my mixing cans is available. I have only been using 1-2 gallons each time.

I mix 5 gallons at a time in a bucket. I get about 3 water changes out of that, so it lasts me about a month.

Thanks guys! I'll do 5 gallon batches, I think. It'll be easier that way. Then I can just change out a half gallon at a time.

How's your cycle coming along? :)

I haven't even checked it, in all honesty. I knew that I wouldn't be stocking the tank until January in all likelihood, and that I wouldn't even order a light until December or January, so I haven't even bothered with it. I've done a couple of water changes, but I'm having issues with my temperature, so I doubt the cycle is moving along much. My water, according to my thermometer and my fingers, is 76 degrees at best. I have the 25W cobalt set to 84 right now. The light comes on and goes off pretty regularly, which says to me that the heater thinks the water is at the appropriate temp, but it is not. I wonder if I'd have better luck putting it in the AC70 where water flows by it constantly, so it would have to keep heating the water until it's always the right temp? I may give that a try.

Thermometer still reads 76 degrees, and the water feels the same to me. Heater is set a 84 degrees. Light comes on and stays on then goes off every once in a while. I think I'm going to have to put the other heater from Veng (no control of temp, just supposedly at 78) in to see if I can spike the temp. The room is kind of chilly, but we have the heat on so... Maybe our place is too cold?

Also - I was looking at arduino-based controllers for this tank. I don't know much about controllers and such, but upon searching, it seems that a number of people with more automated systems have had major problems with overflowing and flooded rooms. I think I'm going to keep my tank hobby manual, minus setting up a gravity-fed ATO when I go out of town occasionally. Maybe it's paranoid, but I'd rather have control over my system than relying entirely on a controller.

Except for the lighting (and live rock), everything I used in my pico was what I already had on hand. Oh wait.. I did buy the pump too :lol:. I have mine running with a reefkeeper lite controller that I already had. It is a great comfort to have the heater hooked up to the controller. If you can swing one, I'd definitely get one. Nothing fancy about the controller but definitely peace of mind in that department. It also controls my lights. I totally get you wanting to have a simple manual control of the hobby though. Running a pico is a little nerve wracking since things can go wrong fast with such a small volume of water.

The nice thing is you have no worries experimenting with heaters since you don't have any livestock yet. My tank is running 78-79 degrees.

Yeah I'm more concerned about the heater thing. I need to get my temps up. How would a controller help with that, though? The heater already has an internal thermostat, right? Does the controller just have a better temp probe and turns on/off the heater accordingly?

Though, I will say, if my stand design works, I won't have to worry about flooding and then I can add a controller and all the bells and whistles I want.

Have you checked that maybe your thermometer is wrong? Sadly I used one of those Coralife digital thermometers and found that it was 3 degrees off what the tank's actual temperature was.

Have you checked that maybe your thermometer is wrong? Sadly I used one of those Coralife digital thermometers and found that it was 3 degrees off what the tank's actual temperature was.

I don't have a digital thermometer hooked up - I bought a glass one. It could be off, but I don't really have a way to check it, except maybe with some freezing water to see if the temp is ~32.

Something fishy has the Apex jr no display for 149 shipped

Thanks, but too much money for that right now when there are other things needed for the tank. Besides, why get a controller if there isn't a display?

I don't have a digital thermometer hooked up - I bought a glass one. It could be off, but I don't really have a way to check it, except maybe with some freezing water to see if the temp is ~32.

Just a thought. mixing ice water is a good way to see if the thermometer is close at least. Those non adjustable heaters always kind of scare me.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived