Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Temperate New Zealand Pico

brookie

Hey all, just thought I would share my local New Zealand "Rock Pool". It is a 2.5 gallon that has been up and running for coming up 2 years now. It was set up for my now 5 year old daughter to enjoy our local wildlife. Any questions, just ask. Enjoy!

post-42241-0-70495300-1384033648_thumb.jpg

post-42241-0-54756800-1384033674_thumb.jpg

post-42241-0-69875500-1384033708_thumb.jpg

post-42241-0-78438500-1384033723_thumb.jpg

post-42241-0-28482200-1384033748_thumb.jpg

So when you say "temperate" what temps are you keeping it at? I don't see a heater there although it may be concealed in the filter on the right. Or you just keep it at room temperature, whatever that may be.

Spacey :)

Thanks Kiwi and hopefully many more years to come. Spacey - no heater, sits at room temperature and gets cooled with a 10cm desk fan (pink for my daughter :-D). So the temperature sits at between 58F and 62F (hopefully I got my conversions right, 14-16C) usually. Hope that helps :-)

Haha the part of the house where my tanks are stays pretty cool in summer, where we live isn't that warm most of the time either :). Mikeguerrero - I was looking at those iceprobe, they are pretty sweet. How easily would I be able to ship one to New Zealand (and would my wife kill me for the price? Conversion rates can be a killer)?

AquaticEngineer

I would die to be able to get some of the animals down there in NZ. Do you ever find any of the Triplefins in the rockpools? They are seriously one of my favorite fish down there :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Haha the part of the house where my tanks are stays pretty cool in summer, where we live isn't that warm most of the time either :). Mikeguerrero - I was looking at those iceprobe, they are pretty sweet. How easily would I be able to ship one to New Zealand (and would my wife kill me for the price? Conversion rates can be a killer)?

The efficacy of the probe is based on ambient temps and what you have reported place our unit at it's best working capacity! From past orders to Austria Germany and New Zealand I have seen shipping run $38 to $58 higher for larger items than the probe.

Regarding conversion not too sure but I have been asked that question before to interested reefers in South Africa.

I wonder if I can order your probe with the correct voltage since I know the owner of the probe I can ask.

Mikeguerrero - that would be fantastic if you would look into that for me! Our mains supply is 240V 50Hz. Keep me posted!

AquaticEngineer - Yep, we had a wee Variable Triplefin. She was in the tank for 6 months from setup, when she refused to eat anything and unfortunately passed away. Cool wee fish, full of personality

I will see if I can fish out a picture of the Triplefin (pun intended :D) and also some of the critters feeding if people would be interested

Here's some more pictures :). The triplefin is no longer with us but she was awesome. The Sea star loves to eat Little Neck Clams (known as Cockles locally) and Horn Snails. The Glass shrimp is a great wee tank cleaner especially with such a messy sea star!

post-42241-0-08246500-1384199409_thumb.jpg

post-42241-0-07905400-1384199707_thumb.jpg

post-42241-0-28952600-1384199731_thumb.jpg

post-42241-0-39582800-1384199875_thumb.jpg

Kiwi - Thank you :) Yep I've just convinced my daughter that "seaweed"is cool. So there is a small bit of Ulva sp and some other green macro (I will get a picture later) and in the first post the porcelain crab is on some sort of bladder kelp :). Hard to see but we like collecting small things as it keeps the tank a little more stable and we can watch them grow :D

AquaticEngineer

Nice! I think all I have for anemones in my 8 gallon are Anthopleura species now :) I have Anthopleura xanthogrammica, Anthopleura eligantissima, and Anthopleura artimisia.

Kiwi - yep i will try get an updated FTS. They are never impressive in the day most of the critters are little and others hide haha. Lights come on in four hours time :)

Archived