Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Unusual surfaces/layouts for GSP?

Nocturnal

I have a ton of extra GSP laying around now as mine grows like the borg. Fortunately I have it coralled pretty well by a frogspawn and a torch coral.

I will be setting up the extra 10g I have laying around as a testing tank / frag tank and I've been trying to think of unusual surfaces and shapes to stick the GSP on. I keep picturing some kind of vertical or horizontal bar setup, so basically a column of GSP suspended in the tank or rigging up someway to have a horizontal bar (maybe 1" pvc) to spin slowly so GSP will grow on all sides.

Any ideas?

I like the maoai heads people grow gsp "hair" on.. pretty cool imo.. it would look cool on an anchor too.. as far as more DIY type ideas, IDK, do you want it to look natural or neat? you could make a circus-style "ring of fire" with some pvc bent to a circle with a post at the bottom.. it'd be cool to see some fish swim through it.. you could make a whole circus themed tank.. lol.. have you ever seen the mario tank?

I don't recall the Mario tank, will search for it.

I'll be aiming for neat/different. The natural options seem somewhat limited. Although I will probably google and find some terrestrial plant/forest images for some inspiration.

I wonder if I could build a gryoscope...

• 2 weeks later...

The best place for it is in the garbage next to xenia and kenya tree.

By suspending it like your talking about your likely going to have it either start dropping chunks which will go anywhere the flow takes it (which could make it very difficult to remove/ fight off) or spawn and make it REALLY difficult to remove/ fight off.

Mine started taking over a photosynthetic gorg a few weeks back. I fragged off most of the gorg but left a few branches to see what happens.

image_zpsa5967b02.jpeg

bad pic but you get the idea...

I can already tell you what will happen... it will continue to grow and kill the gorg. GSP is an invasive pest IMO.

The best place for it is in the garbage next to xenia and kenya tree.

By suspending it like your talking about your likely going to have it either start dropping chunks which will go anywhere the flow takes it (which could make it very difficult to remove/ fight off) or spawn and make it REALLY difficult to remove/ fight off.

Hmm, didn't realize that it would drop off chunks but considering how it grows that makes sense.

GSP is funny. Very cool looking I think, but it definitely acts like an invasive. Maybe I'll turn my spare 10 gallon into an all GSP tank.

Hmm, didn't realize that it would drop off chunks but considering how it grows that makes sense.

GSP is funny. Very cool looking I think, but it definitely acts like an invasive. Maybe I'll turn my spare 10 gallon into an all GSP tank.

You could just run a hair dryer over some grass in your lawn, about the same thing.... well not quite, I like a nice trimmed and taken care of lawn.... gsp not so much lol

I say lucky you if it grows like that. I've had the same plug for 6-8 months and hasn't grown period.

I think it would be cool to get it to grow over a skull. :)

I can already tell you what will happen... it will continue to grow and kill the gorg. GSP is an invasive pest IMO.

Maybe they will make it illegal in California.

Archived