Pod Your Reef

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ThePaontedFrogfish said:

Sounds like a hell of a ride, they're pretty hardy but still hope she'll be ok, I had a harlequin do the same thing... :unsure:

I seriously felt like she was glaring at me.  I'm thinking oh my god, can she breathe this way?  But I have to remember when I found her she and other mantis were in my live rock from KP Aquatics and she was like in a coma kinda, as she hadn't been in full water for 2 days anyway, there was water at the bottom, a couple inches, but not enough that each newspaper covered rock could be submerged.  And....she made it.  She also made it when i moved and accidentally turned off the heat in that bucket.  I had another bucket and a bin of corals that was fine.  I see my royal gramma floating atop the leather and I'm moving the macro out of the way and I see her scamper at the bottom of the  66 degree bucket.  I was freaked out and then I just threw her in the tank without further acclimation.  It didn't shock her so I'm very glad but my thought was, don't kill her now when she goes in the tank!    So...she is a very strong girl.   And one of these days when she passes, ya'll will see how weak I am.  

9 minutes ago, ThePaontedFrogfish said:

Sounds like a hell of a ride, they're pretty hardy but still hope she'll be ok, I had a harlequin do the same thing so I can relate in some ways... :unsure:

Did you ever get a mantiis???

Tank is looking much more clear today.  And Gertie is fine! :wub:

20170227_180434_zps3ucqrb3b.jpg

Short video but sometimes she will not give me an opportunity to do better.

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oh that's awesome, HOOORAAAAAY!!!!

I gotta give this gal credit.  She is one strong cookie!!!  And oh yeah, the time she lost part of her eye in a molt.  That I think beats this for the scariest moment.

Nature put it back together,  a couple molts is all it took.  That is the craziest right there.

Thank You.  

8 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Wow what a crazy way to end a Sunday! I don't know what I would have done. Glad she's doing well!

That's an awesome feeding video! More Gertie clips :wub: 

She's definitely given me better videos before.  Her rock and the one with the curlique anemone are the last I need to brush off.   I'll see if I can get a better video of her actually.  I've thought about putting my large harlequin star in Gertie's tank but I remember her beating up one before but this is so much bigger.  The issue I have is right now while trying to feed the nem babies in the 40, it slinks around and grabs it out of baby mouths.  And it kills my snails.  I need nassarius to stay around to turn the sand.  I really think they'd be a benefit here.

2 hours ago, FlowerMama said:

Tank is looking much more clear today.  And Gertie is fine! :wub:

20170227_180434_zps3ucqrb3b.jpg

Short video but sometimes she will not give me an opportunity to do better.

That toadstool is awesome!

What an ordeal! Now we know why she's murderous..... you keep trying to kill her. ?

BTW------Love the updated hair pic!

18 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

That toadstool is awesome!

What an ordeal! Now we know why she's murderous..... you keep trying to kill her. ?

BTW------Love the updated hair pic!

Yeah, remember this pic?  One of them got in to the other's tank and the other was no more, very quickly.  I was proud of her though as she was the smaller one and she just went to town on her mantis sister.  She pounded on her incessantly.  It was fascinating!!! 

007_zpsc9c2cfbb.jpg

016_zps8221fd7b.jpg

017_zps272c81cf.jpg

And here she goes dragging her into the hole.

018_zps82ab15be.jpg

3 minutes ago, Astinus said:

So....That's how she truly got her name.

3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Whoa I never knew about that! Gertie is undefeated!

For shame, you didn't read about that part of the adventure earlier on????  It was a mess.  It started with me moving a rock from Gert's tank to the fuge of my 34g tank and I didn't know Gert was hiding in the rock.  Then I see her in between the thin baffles.  I manage to get her using a long straw or something.  I don't remember the whole thing, but then as I went to put her in her side of her home by putting the rock back in, she jumped..into the wrong tank.  And that's what happened.  It was so quick.  And it meant sudden death for her sister.

StinkyBunny

And if you think mantis on mantis is violent, throw a pistol shrimp in there, it's sudden death for the mantis. I've seen small Tiger pistols take down much larger mantids.

3 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

And if you think mantis on mantis is violent, throw a pistol shrimp in there, it's sudden death for the mantis. I've seen small Tiger pistols take down much larger mantids.

I didn't know who had the upper hand in that.  I've always wondered about that contest.

StinkyBunny

Yea, they are MORTAL enemies. There are videos on YouTube of the little Atlantic reds that live with the Curleycue anemones taking down the green Atlantic mantis shrimp, it's brutal.

Christopher Marks
10 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Yea, they are MORTAL enemies. There are videos on YouTube of the little Atlantic reds that live with the Curleycue anemones taking down the green Atlantic mantis shrimp, it's brutal.

Show us! :D 

12 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Yeah, I also have a curlique anemone which I love.  Video please!!!!

StinkyBunny
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Show us! :D 

For someone that just migrated a website, your Google Fu is weak bro, just sayin'... :D

1 hour ago, FlowerMama said:

Yeah, I also have a curlique anemone which I love.  Video please!!!!

ZOMGWTFBBQ!

I have to get to my work machine, I don't have them here and YouTube's search sucks a BIG one.

I have dismal news.  It's really hard for me to type.  Gertie is gone.  I found her just now laying on the bottom of the tank.  I'm such a mess, crying, breathing heavy, not able to catch my breath.  She was 2.25" long.  I'm really having a hard time.    She would have been 4 on Halloween.  Oh my girl!!!!  

Gertie30517.jpg

Archived