Cultivated Reef

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

The bright green one is a female so i named her Mystique and the dark green one is a male so i named him Hulk

:D

Nice, I like those names. I think at least for now I have 2 females but that's all I can tell from enlarged photos.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank is looking like mantis paradise :)

Hopefully they like it. I don't know if they do- they haven't told me yet. I don't have anything going on too interesting w/ the rocks in there though but they're small yet. As they get bigger I'll have to come up w/ some tunnels or maybe they'll break up some of the small tunnels and widen them. Do they do that?

And neither the fish nor the mantis are bothering each other so it's a good start. Thanks. You have the best peacock though- You said she grew from that Aug pic w/ the ruler where she was just about 2 inches. What's her length now?

Hopefully they like it. I don't know if they do- they haven't told me yet. I don't have anything going on too interesting w/ the rocks in there though but they're small yet. As they get bigger I'll have to come up w/ some tunnels or maybe they'll break up some of the small tunnels and widen them. Do they do that?

And neither the fish nor the mantis are bothering each other so it's a good start. Thanks. You have the best peacock though- You said she grew from that Aug pic w/ the ruler where she was just about 2 inches. What's her length now?

Mine haven't tunneled through any rock but they try. They both ended up making home made tunnels out of rubble. They freaking lovvvvvve rubble...

Aw thanks! I would say she is 3 to 3.5 inches. I tried to measure her but she wanted to murder the measuring tape lol I read somewhere they can live about 15-20 years in the wild.

Mine haven't tunneled through any rock but they try. They both ended up making home made tunnels out of rubble. They freaking lovvvvvve rubble...

Aw thanks! I would say she is 3 to 3.5 inches. I tried to measure her but she wanted to murder the measuring tape lol I read somewhere they can live about 15-20 years in the wild.

The hulk actually tunneled through two pieces of rock. The name fits him well :P

The hulk actually tunneled through two pieces of rock. T

Oh wow. That is a loooong time. That's incredible. I didn't know they could live that long at all. I assumed 4 yrs or something. That's fast growth to me but I don't know what's average among these different mantises.

The hulk actually tunneled through two pieces of rock. The name fits him well :P

Hm. Interesting. It would be cool if they widened the tunnels themselves.

I love these tanks (this tank) lol. You've made such great little homes for your new friends :)

Thank You. It was cute, the other day I used the big tweezers to hold some bit of food, they're so tiny they're whole body was on the food- I was letting little bits float off so the fish could eat too.

watch out for the fish you added just saw hulk go after the damsel i had in their with him so i put him in Mystiques tank who has problems with coordination, so i doubt she could get him

Luckily they're all small, the fish are greatly bigger than the shrimp at the current moment so I'm hoping that raised as puppies together they'll cohabitate. If not someone might end up going in the 34 but I have all peaceful fish in there at the moment.

Oh wow. That is a loooong time. That's incredible. I didn't know they could live that long at all. I assumed 4 yrs or something. That's fast growth to me but I don't know what's average among these different mantises.

Hm. Interesting. It would be cool if they widened the tunnels themselves.

The smaller they are the more often they are going to molt and grow. They slow down once they get bigger. I would assume your guys will molt fairly often since they are so tiny. They also seem to molt more if fed a lot.

I think the smaller mantis have a shorter lifespan but I'm not really sure. Info on them is limited and I can't remember what I read where. Unfortunately lifespans are much shorter in captivity but most people (the kind on you tube lol) also don't take care of them very well.

watch out for the fish you added just saw hulk go after the damsel i had in their with him so i put him in Mystiques tank who has problems with coordination, so i doubt she could get him

Naughty mantis!

The smaller they are the more often they are going to molt and grow. They slow down once they get bigger. I would assume your guys will molt fairly often since they are so tiny. They also seem to molt more if fed a lot.

Naughty mantis!

Bad mantis BAAAAD!!! go lay in your bed.

I haven't even found the molts, they're so tiny.

Bad mantis BAAAAD!!! go lay in your bed.

I haven't even found the molts, they're so tiny.

Ive never found any molts either but some will eat the molt or bury it.

So, since I have 3 small pencil urchins that came w/ my live rock and they are not reef safe, think they'd be fine in the mantis tank ? which means I'd have to move some mushrooms out.

So, since I have 3 small pencil urchins that came w/ my live rock and they are not reef safe, think they'd be fine in the mantis tank ? which means I'd have to move some mushrooms out.

Hard to say with mantis and urchins. I have a tuxedo urchin in with my G. Ternatensis, but he's proven himself to be completely safe with fish, hermits, snails and anything else I put in with him. I'm not so sure my O. Scyllarus would be safe with urchins.

Hard to say with mantis and urchins. I have a tuxedo urchin in with my G. Ternatensis, but he's proven himself to be completely safe with fish, hermits, snails and anything else I put in with him. I'm not so sure my O. Scyllarus would be safe with urchins.

They're all babies right now, sizes from less than a dime, dime and a nickel. I just know they're really slow right now and I haven't see any damage to corals in the 34 yet. As it is I don't see them til they come out at night because they can still fit in holes in the rock.

Mushrooms on the left.

012_zps122791b1.jpg

and on the right.

013_zps3d8e63c1.jpg

A hideout for Precious.

022_zpsda41d25d.jpg

Beautiful he is.

029_zpse8c218c1.jpg

I AM ON ONE SIDE,...YOU'RE ON THE OTHER, WHY'RE WE DIVIDED??? Erasure throw back in time.

035_zps765647b8.jpg

034_zpseaf3f2f3.jpg

From left side

067_zps94dfbb91.jpg

From right

065_zps1a4a41a4.jpg

Macro is growing, mushrooms I think actually need more light but we'll see how they do.

So. Freaking. AWESOME!!!

Thank you- it's been fun so far, shocking at first to find them. Glad I could quickly put together a home for them. Love my green babies. I have praying mantises outside in the late Spring thru Fall and marine ones inside.

So are the mantises (mantii?) going to eat those fish?

Most likely not. Both of my smashers live very peacefully with fish. My peacock, is UNBELIEVABLY tolerant of her damsel tank mate. He tail slapped her and bit her in the butt and she didn't retaliate. She's got more patience than me. The mantis with fish thing is entirely dependent on the individual mantis though. Some are murderous killing machines. Some won't even kill the things they're supposed to eat (like my G. Ternatensis). If you feed them regularly, they won't waste their energy trying to kill anything.

Archived