Pod Your Reef

How do you frag zoas off a rock

Cameron6796

I have been wondering how everyone gets zoas off of a peice of rock or frag plug,

i see people just razor blade them off of it the how do you attach it if its not attached to rock

Can I just use bone cutters on a frag disk to break off different section

Mr. Microscope

Many people use a razor blade and cut them off. I've done this before, but I've found the zoas fare much better if you use a bone cutters as you suggested. Use a razor blade if you get any hanging on after cutting the rock, but just between polyps.

Use glue on the rock instead of the zoa.

I cut the rock instead of cutting the actual polyp off the rock... it causes more damage than I'd like. BUT if you're gonna go that route I would use a surgical grade scalpel, cuts like butter.

Clip the disk and glue it down, it'll grow over the disk

BeardedReeferLLC

1- Cut Matting w/ clean utility knife/scalpel .

2- Use tooth pick or tweezers to get polyps/mat off rock.

3- Glue to whatever you want with super glue gel.

*Note* Try not to damage or bruise matting**

Reminder: Always wear gloves and googles/glasses when fragging zoas.

If cutting from the rock, buy a wood chisel and cut just around the polyp you're trying to frag, using the wood chisel will get enough of the rock to lift up and you'll be able to cut the polyp underneath without causing damage.

If cutting from the rock, buy a wood chisel and cut just around the polyp you're trying to frag, using the wood chisel will get enough of the rock to lift up and you'll be able to cut the polyp underneath without causing damage.

Wood chisel ftw!

I learned from this zoa master, a great video on how to frag a colony on a rock:

I ended up making my own video on how to frag them off a frag disk since I never found a decent one on youtube that didn't involve a bandsaw or dremel.

Archived