Cultivated Reef

Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef

4x5

Oh Dude, I'm so sorry to hear Shaun :(. Dealing with losses sucks, it never gets easier. I hope you hang around the forums though, we may be able to convince you on a new tank sooner rather than later ;).

Sorry for the losses. But I predict you will definitely do something new :). I know you are a stick man...but you could always do just the softie side...it's soooo easy!

Thanks Gena. My little mangrove tank that I just ignore and it always looks good will have to do for now, haha. :)

I'm sure it's going to be even better! :)

Haha. Thanks.

Sorry for the losses and to see the tank come down. I know the feeling, just lost all my sps as well.

Thanks Arce, sorry for your losses as well.

sorry to hear. what caused the meltdown??

Honestly I have no idea, parameters never looked off and things were happy one day and then it was just a total spiral and meltdown. I think when bigger colonies melt in a smallish tank it can go downhill fast.

That's horrible man so sorry to hear this your tank is what got me back into the hobby. Your first tank is actually my background pic on my computer. Good Luck man hope to see another tank up and running soon.

Thanks, glad you liked it. :) It's been a fun few years. :)

That sucks……...! Hope to see a new tank build in the new year! Visiting Canada for work or vacation?

Thanks. We're heading to Canada to visit my better half's family and our friends.

I has a sad.

Thanks Kat.

Oh no, I'm so sorry, Shaun :(

I'm already looking forward to the next one, though.

Thanks, it's OK, life goes on and we shall rebuild at some point. I might have to take a new route, having to travel a bit for work is a little too stressful when you have a tank full of sticks. :lol:

Oh Dude, I'm so sorry to hear Shaun :(. Dealing with losses sucks, it never gets easier. I hope you hang around the forums though, we may be able to convince you on a new tank sooner rather than later ;).

Thanks man, I'll be around. :)

• Like 3

Thanks Gena. My little mangrove tank that I just ignore and it always looks good will have to do for now, haha. :)

Oh, well that's sounds perfect actually :). I love mangrove tanks! I just love plants in general.

What a bummer!!! Hopefully you can rebound with an even better tank full of acro's(or whatever you plan to do). Your tank has inspired many people, including myself, so please stay in the hobby.....your pretty Damn good at it!

• 1 month later...

Sorry to see this one go down :(

Looking forward to the next one :)

Yep me too, I'm already wanting something new. :lol: Long trip coming up in December so it can wait till next year. :)

What a bummer!!! Hopefully you can rebound with an even better tank full of acro's(or whatever you plan to do). Your tank has inspired many people, including myself, so please stay in the hobby.....your pretty Damn good at it!

Thanks. There will be something new. :)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOŌ

Haha, things happen. :)

Post Crash Detective Work;

So the tank is not actually down yet, it's still running because well, I have fish and I need to re-home them and I wanted to see if I could get rid of the issues I was having (massive amounts of cyano and diatoms) with next to nothing in the tank.

About a month before the great meltdown I switched my sump to a "food grade" plastic container. I've seen people do this over and over so had no concerns since I believed the quality must be good enough. A few weeks after I added it I had crazy diatoms and cyano in the tank that I just couldn't kick, initially I thought it was just related to some die off and the re-scape, or it was potentially related to my RO water but my smaller tank is totally pristine and it uses the same water so it can't be that.

Fast forward a little - about a week ago I switched out the plastic sump for my old glass one to test my theory that it might be the sump, and face to the palm - things appear to be clearing up really fast, there are patches of white sand that I haven't seen in a long time and lone surviving cap is again green.

So I can't say for sure it was that container but I'm pretty sure it was.

• Like 6

That is very interesting Shaun. Many of us store our water in these so called 'food grade' tubs. While I'm sure the contaminants leached are safe for human consumption they may not be so safe for our aquariums. I'm glad things have made a turn for the better. This isn't going to sway your decision at all is it......;).

That is very interesting Shaun. Many of us store our water in these so called 'food grade' tubs. While I'm sure the contaminants leached are safe for human consumption they may not be so safe for our aquariums. I'm glad things have made a turn for the better. This isn't going to sway your decision at all is it...... ;).

I'll rebuild next year. For now I'm just interested in potentially having white sand and keep a snail alive. :lol:

• Like 4

I use food grade container to store RODI water for ATO...hmmm. Hopefully we will see the new build soon...2017 is right around the corner =P.

I use an old salt bucket to store RODI and I never had issues with it. It might not be the container but it's the main suspect right now. :lol:
  • Like 1

I use an old salt bucket to store RODI and I never had issues with it. It might not be the container but it's the main suspect right now. :lol:

That's very interesting, Shaun. You would think food grade plastic would be fine, but like you said, "food grade" really only has meaning for storing things for people to eat or drink. Fish and corals are a lot pickier than we are, after all. And of course there's no telling if there's something wrong or defective with the container even though it's marked as food grade.

Like Ninja, I use a watertight plastic container for my ATO water. Now I'm wondering...

I'll be watching this spot for the new tank next year :D

I've used a 5g bucket for water changes from a big-box home improvement store for over 8 years. Unless some chemical or ultraviolet light has been added to the container that might break down the molecular bonds in the plastic, they should be safe for a very long time.

My RO/DI water is stored in old 5g airtight plastic containers from the mid 1980s :)

• Like 3

Yah, I have no idea if it was the plastic bin - the time lines just line up and the improvement since I removed it has added to my suspicions. :lol: I also have a plastic top up bucket and have never had issues with it.

• Like 1

Yah, I have no idea if it was the plastic bin - the time lines just line up and the improvement since I removed it has added to my suspicions. :lol: I also have a plastic top up bucket and have never had issues with it.

only way to confirm is to put the plastic bin back =P

• Like 4