Cultivated Reef

Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef

4x5

Oh Dude! sorry to hear about the overflow, again. I'm sure you will be much happier with an actual overflow box, you should be able to push much more flow through it. Did you have to modify much of the in tank plumbing to make it all fit?

Pictures are stunning as always Shaun :). Looks like the SPS are all doing really well.

Oh Dude! sorry to hear about the overflow, again. I'm sure you will be much happier with an actual overflow box, you should be able to push much more flow through it. Did you have to modify much of the in tank plumbing to make it all fit?

Pictures are stunning as always Shaun :). Looks like the SPS are all doing really well.

Thanks man. So much happier with the overflow, kicking myself for not just doing it sooner but such is life. :) I just drilled one hole for the overflow, I had to Amazon a hole saw, it came with a 60mm connector, thing is huge and couldn't find out locally. :lol:

And you know what they say about flow. :lol:

30424d1467221299-they-re-here-fz-10-real

• Like 3

Thanks man. So much happier with the overflow, kicking myself for not just doing it sooner but such is life. :) I just drilled one hole for the overflow, I had to Amazon a hole saw, it came with a 60mm connector, thing is huge and couldn't find out locally. :lol:

And you know what they say about flow. :lol:

30424d1467221299-they-re-here-fz-10-real

I'm glad it all went fairly smoothly for you then Shaun. After taking a closer look at the FTS I can see the return coming up through one of the existing holes you had in the base of the tank. More flow (or power ;)) is always a good thing :D.

New Overflow;

A couple of months ago I had my Mame and pressure sensor fail on me (again), I've never been able to get it to work properly for some reason. And coming downstairs to water all over the floor, all over a now destroyed Kore 5th doser and MP10 control before the morning coffee tends to wreck the day. :lol: So I ordered a Modular Marine overflow from their website had it shipped - I stripped the tank down once again this weekend to drill and re-plumb it. Honestly, I really wish I had done this sooner, the headaches every other overflow I used were really not worth it. Lesson learnt. :) Quality is really fantastic on the overflow.

modular_marine_001.jpg

new_return_001.jpg

Tank Shots - August 30, 2016;

Everything is settled back in, growth over the last few months has been decent but not where it could be, probably due to hand dosing and redoing it every few weeks with all the issues. But we're getting there. :)

lts_angle_august_30_2016.jpg

lts_august_30_2016.jpg

lts_zoom_august_30_2016.jpg

millepora_colony_001.jpg

mr_pacman_august_30.jpg

unknown_blue_001_august_30_002_2106.jpg

unknown_blue_001_august_30_2106.jpg

_15A4256.jpg

chromis_august_30_2016.jpg

And a page quote for you good sir because I was so unkind as to clock the thread over to a new page mere minutes after you posted lol.

• Like 5

I'm glad it all went fairly smoothly for you then Shaun. After taking a closer look at the FTS I can see the return coming up through one of the existing holes you had in the base of the tank. More flow (or power ;)) is always a good thing :D.

And a page quote for you good sir because I was so unkind as to clock the thread over to a new page mere minutes after you posted lol.

Haha yah. I reused some holes. :) No need for the quote but thanks. :lol:

Beautiful. That FTS is so crisp. The chromis picture is great too.

Thanks Sir. Hope you're well. :)

Geez this is amazing. I'm awful at fish pictures. Any tips?

Thanks Roger - boost your ISO a bit, use a faster shutter speed 1/500ish works and sometimes it requires a ton of photos, haha. Some of my fish tend to come to beg for food when I'm near the tank so it's easier.

• Like 2

Most of my problems come from the glass distortion. I have trouble waiting for the fish to come to the camera instead of tracking the fish with the camera.

Ahhh yes. I tend to sit and wait so my camera is always dead on with the glass to minimize that. That distortion sucks.

• Like 2

Hey Ark, long time. Things are good thanks, corals are growing - fish are fat. :) How are things on your side? New tank yet? :lol:

Hey, yeah I haven't been on as much now that I don't have a tank. I'm in Peru right now conducting dissertation research (finally :D ) and have a lot of down time in the evenings so I've been lurking a lot. No tank right now, but I am going to try and convince the wife to let me get a nano when I get back. Otherwise, I will be tankless for the next 2-3 years. I have a couple of ideas for tanks though, so you all haven't seen the last of me. I just need life to settle down a little before I get back into the game. Until then, I will be following other builds.

I'm glad that you finally got that overflow in btw. These new low-profile overflows are amazing compared to the big column of acrylic.

• Like 2

Nice nice ! Now put the rest of the sand in as well. :lol:

Starting a new trend. :lol:

Shaun I know you've probably said before but what do you use to clean your glass.

I use a Tunze Care Magnet for the inside and for the outside I use RO water and some paper towel.

• Like 1
cherokee2871

Starting a new trend. :lol:

I use a Tunze Care Magnet for the inside and for the outside I use RO water and some paper towel.

Thanks Brother it always looks great.

• 3 weeks later...

Tank Shutdown;

In other news this tank is coming down. My plan was to run it till November and then shut it down before a month long trip to Canada but over the space of a week it had a total meltdown and I lost every Acro but my "Chocolate" Stag which is barely alive. Losing corals I'd had for nearly two years overnight was ####ing horrible, so I'm a little over it right now. :) But every time I see a nice tank I want to start over, so perhaps I'll do something new in the new year. Haha.

• Like 3

Tank Shutdown;

In other news this tank is coming down. My plan was to run it till November and then shut it down before a month long trip to Canada but over the space of a week it had a total meltdown and I lost every Acro but my "Chocolate" Stag which is barely alive. Losing corals I'd had for nearly two years overnight was ####### horrible, so I'm a little over it right now. :) But every time I see a nice tank I want to start over, so perhaps I'll do something new in the new year. Haha.

sorry to hear. what caused the meltdown??

That's horrible man so sorry to hear this your tank is what got me back into the hobby. Your first tank is actually my background pic on my computer. Good Luck man hope to see another tank up and running soon.