ReefCleaners.org

Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef

4x5

loving the tank man one day when I have more time on me I would like to do acro dominated tank.

Thanks, Acropora rule. :)

I forget or I missed it, you have a kid now?

Hah! I've been a dad for 14 years but I have a new one that's one now. :)

I have been spending some time following this thread and even saw it when it was from the beginning and I just want to say what a setup! You're attention to detail on the scaping and coral placement is stellar along with your mad photography skills! Pretty jelly my man, pretty jelly.

Thanks Matteo. :)

Happy first birthday to the frag!

Thanks Kat, sorry for the delayed response. Life got crazy. :lol:

Hi Shaun, any updates? I'm getting withdrawal symptoms :D

+1

I'll get some pictures and an update done this weekend, sorry for the delay, work got mad and I just got home from a trip to Japan. Tank is looking like I was away but everything is alive which is good. :lol:

• Like 6
Orangutran

Hah! I've been a dad for 14 years but I have a new one that's one now. :)

What! I thought you're like 25!!

13 yr difference eh… Now I don't feel so bad, cus I'm expecting a second one in a few weeks and the age gap will be 4, and some say that's too much!

Good to see you back, and I hope you're enjoying life outside of this forum! lol

Well, if anyone ever makes it down to Cape Town, I have beer. ;)

Thanks. I'm looking forward to getting it filled - my sand and salt arrives on Monday and then the real fun can begin. As for the equipment, I think once the last cables are neatened, fish are added and the corals begin to grow, the rest will start to become less and less visible.

I will be in cape town this summer for a couple of days! My gf is from Durban so we will be making our way over to Cape Town before heading to Lady Smith for a couple days!

What! I thought you're like 25!!

I mean, he could be around that. There was a teacher that got pregnant by her 13 year old student recently.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

sts_june_25_2016_002.jpg

sts_june_25_2016.jpg

FTS - June 25, 2016;

I decided to refresh the rockscape one day on an impulse, nothing other than that is too new in the tank, corals have grown quite a lot, fish are fat and happy. I just need to get some sand added to the tank. This BB experiment is too much effort. :lol:

chalice_004.jpg

• Like 22
Nano sapiens

FTS - June 25, 2016;

I decided to refresh the rockscape one day on an impulse, nothing other than that is too new in the tank, corals have grown quite a lot, fish are fat and happy. I just need to get some sand added to the tank. This BB experiment is too much effort. :lol:

Nice. I definitely prefer sand as I consider it a useful and decorative part of the environment as a whole.

• Like 2

Nice. I definitely prefer sand as I consider it a useful and decorative part of the environment as a whole.

Thanks. :) I prefer sand most of the time as well but BB can look good if it's cleaned often. :lol:

• Like 2

Looking good Shaun, if I may how many fishes you have now?

Thanks. I have 13 fish now, just added in 5 more small Chromis to increase my bioload a bit.

I like BB and sand as well. I think after removing my sand im finding the same thing as you..... kind of want to put it back in.

It's a constant struggle in my mind, I want both. :lol:

• Like 2

Thanks. :) I prefer sand most of the time as well but BB can look good if it's cleaned often. :lol:

BB all the way. Makes life so much easier lol.

• Like 1

Looking good The tank looks good both ways - I've never been able to bring myself to a BB tank

Thanks man, we need pictures of the Possum. :)

I cant put it back into my current tank,but the next one being built will have sand.

Your June fts is awesome!

Thanks!

your tank looks so simple yet so elegant. :wub:

Thanks. :)

Need some acro pics! :) FTS look fantastic, as always.

Acro pics are on the list. Thanks Mark. :)

BB all the way. Makes life so much easier lol.

Haha! It's great till you get lazy for a week. :lol:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
SoCal_Reefer

Hello from Japan. Your tank looks great. I've really enjoyed reading about your tank.

I'm sorry if you've already answered this question before but, where did you purchase your pressure sensor?

I have a mame overflow too and would like to get one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, I'm new to the forums, and just found this today. Been sitting here for an hour going through the pages upon pages lol. I'm totally mesmerized by this!

Forst of all, this tank is absolutely incredible. You can see that it's clearly a labor of love!

Secondly, it fits so perfectly into this home. These last few pictures where you can see the furniture, exposed brick, colors, etc... it just compliments everything so perfectly.

I am now convinced that when I upgrade eventually... THIS is what I want to go for. Absolutely.

• Like 1

So, I'm new to the forums, and just found this today. Been sitting here for an hour going through the pages upon pages lol. I'm totally mesmerized by this!

Forst of all, this tank is absolutely incredible. You can see that it's clearly a labor of love!

Secondly, it fits so perfectly into this home. These last few pictures where you can see the furniture, exposed brick, colors, etc... it just compliments everything so perfectly.

I am now convinced that when I upgrade eventually... THIS is what I want to go for. Absolutely.

You're going to be doing that a lot as you explore the forum. You should look for Rehypes build threads. Hours worth of drooling and feelings of inadequacy await you my friend! My faves of his are "Hypes Edgeless Ridge Islet-Complete" "Hypes Shallow ADA Lagoon" "Hypes Archipelago". Have fun!

• Like 2

I agree, 4x5's tanks have been a big inspiration for me too, and Rehype's are fantastic. Also check Urbanek's 250 thread. It's not a nano, but the tank and the pictures are totally drool-worthy.

In addition to the Tank of the Month articles, take a read through the tank of the month nomination thread. I find pointers to lots of great tanks there that I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

I know Shaun's been busy with family but hopefully we'll see some more awesome pictures soon. :)

Right, Shaun? :D

Please? :flower:

• Like 1

Hello from Japan. Your tank looks great. I've really enjoyed reading about your tank.

I'm sorry if you've already answered this question before but, where did you purchase your pressure sensor?

I have a mame overflow too and would like to get one.

Hello! Japan is awesome, where are you from? I used an Avaste Marine sensor from an ATO. You can get a shut off unit from Mame themselves as they sell it.

Update ! Update ! Update !

Coming. :)

How are things going in your tank?

Hey Ark, long time. Things are good thanks, corals are growing - fish are fat. :) How are things on your side? New tank yet? :lol:

Thanks for the kind words. :) I think we're all a little obsessed over here so it makes it easier. :D

You're going to be doing that a lot as you explore the forum. You should look for Rehypes build threads. Hours worth of drooling and feelings of inadequacy await you my friend! My faves of his are "Hypes Edgeless Ridge Islet-Complete" "Hypes Shallow ADA Lagoon" "Hypes Archipelago". Have fun!

You're right, there's a lot to look at. :)

I agree, 4x5's tanks have been a big inspiration for me too, and Rehype's are fantastic. Also check Urbanek's 250 thread. It's not a nano, but the tank and the pictures are totally drool-worthy.

In addition to the Tank of the Month articles, take a read through the tank of the month nomination thread. I find pointers to lots of great tanks there that I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

I know Shaun's been busy with family but hopefully we'll see some more awesome pictures soon. :)

Right, Shaun? :D

Please? :flower:

I really do suck, jeez. I had the best of intentions to post an update and then I just sucked. :lol: Busy resizing some snaps and will post an update in 5.

• Like 2

New Overflow;
A couple of months ago I had my Mame and pressure sensor fail on me (again), I've never been able to get it to work properly for some reason. And coming downstairs to water all over the floor, all over a now destroyed Kore 5th doser and MP10 control before the morning coffee tends to wreck the day. :lol: So I ordered a Modular Marine overflow from their website had it shipped - I stripped the tank down once again this weekend to drill and re-plumb it. Honestly, I really wish I had done this sooner, the headaches every other overflow I used were really not worth it. Lesson learnt. :) Quality is really fantastic on the overflow.

modular_marine_001.jpg

new_return_001.jpg

Tank Shots - August 30, 2016;

Everything is settled back in, growth over the last few months has been decent but not where it could be, probably due to hand dosing and redoing it every few weeks with all the issues. But we're getting there. :)

lts_angle_august_30_2016.jpg

lts_august_30_2016.jpg

lts_zoom_august_30_2016.jpg

millepora_colony_001.jpg

mr_pacman_august_30.jpg

unknown_blue_001_august_30_002_2106.jpg

unknown_blue_001_august_30_2106.jpg

_15A4256.jpg

chromis_august_30_2016.jpg

• Like 12