ReefCleaners.org

Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef

4x5

No offence taken, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :) I don't really see what's so mystical about Zeovit though, I mean all you're doing is using stones, a skimmer and a carbon source to control nutrients and then using aminos and coral foods to feed a tank - of which I probably use a lot less than many people not running Zeo. It's not all that different from any other carbon dosing methods IMO.

Okay but that's an oversimplification though. What is in sponge power, Pohls, Coral Vitalizer, B-Balance, zeo pak, etc etc. That is where I was coming from.

Cant stand that stuff. Hate when people rage over their limited super rare ultra booger of a frag that will undoubtedly change color in their tank and then spend hundreds and hundreds on it.

• Like 3

Cant stand that stuff. Hate when people rage over their limited super rare ultra booger of a frag that will undoubtedly change color in their tank and then spend hundreds and hundreds on it.

Indeed, I just don't get it. The most I've spent on a coral is like 50 bucks - I can understand some frags go for 100 because coral prices are just higher in the US but a grand for an unhealed booger? Haha. Insane.
  • Like 3

Indeed, I just don't get it. The most I've spent on a coral is like 50 bucks - I can understand some frags go for 100 because coral prices are just higher in the US but a grand for an unhealed booger? Haha. Insane.

Ive spent maybe $70 most but those were for colonies, the ones from my 29g, the millies i had were i think 50-70. I think proportionally to size and cost the most expensive frags i probably ever got was my PC rainbow and kat frag, but they were still cheap in comparison.

Yea especially that not being healed, crazy. Some people just dont get it or have the money to blow. Good for them i guess.

• Like 1

Please can someone explain to me why people pay $1k US for corals that are the size of a large booger? http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/jf-homewrecker-pick-from-mosi.235014/ :lol:

Well I can tell you this, she mentions that Top Shelf bought it. Top shelf is a local store to me and the guy that does all theyre online sales is a very good friend of mine. They will probably put it in theyre 400+ display tank that grows acros better and faster than any system I have ever seen. They will frag it regularly and sell frags on facebook like hotcakes and make theyre money back and then a LOT more. As for why the regular hobbiest would pay that kind of money for shit like that, I cant give you a good answer, but there are a lot of people out there thst just have that kind of money to burn.

I see our coral made it all the way to Nano-Reef. While I can understand how to a hobbyist that's a stupid amount of money to pay, the truth is it's a once in a lifetime piece. I see 1000's of Acros, and hundreds run through our store. Ask me the last time I saw one like that....never. Remember guys, to me it's a investment. In 2 months I will have made my money back and then some. I also get to say we have one of the prettiest acro's in the world at our store :)

• Like 2

I see our coral made it all the way to Nano-Reef. While I can understand how to a hobbyist that's a stupid amount of money to pay, the truth is it's a once in a lifetime piece. I see 1000's of Acros, and hundreds run through our store. Ask me the last time I saw one like that....never. Remember guys, to me it's a investment. In 2 months I will have made my money back and then some. I also get to say we have one of the prettiest acro's in the world at our store :)

Please post some updates on the coral. I'd love to see how many frags you can make off that in 2 months. :)
  • Like 2

Going to have to see that in person next time I'm at the store. The colors are incredibly intense.

With how well this system is running, I'm sure I will be able to pull a frag or 2 in a couple months. We are very lucky to have hit a sweet spot in the tank. The growth is unreal. Couple ugly shots of the tank.

24765876439_e9ae279803_k.jpg883640_248375692160446_2013072616154356454_o by alex barreto, on Flickr

24837928800_f27efc05d5_k.jpg12716350_248375858827096_394822274440262519_o by alex barreto, on Flickr

24502883934_d5aa9ff1bb_k.jpg12719408_248376002160415_7353113511569656477_o by alex barreto, on Flickr

24765876299_c68d6bb969_k.jpg11754689_248376012160414_7099424857291517894_o by alex barreto, on Flickr

• Like 7

With how well this system is running, I'm sure I will be able to pull a frag or 2 in a couple months. We are very lucky to have hit a sweet spot in the tank. The growth is unreal. Couple ugly shots of the tank.

24765876439_e9ae279803_k.jpg883640_248375692160446_2013072616154356454_o by alex barreto, on Flickr

24837928800_f27efc05d5_k.jpg12716350_248375858827096_394822274440262519_o by alex barreto, on Flickr

24502883934_d5aa9ff1bb_k.jpg12719408_248376002160415_7353113511569656477_o by alex barreto, on Flickr

24765876299_c68d6bb969_k.jpg11754689_248376012160414_7099424857291517894_o by alex barreto, on Flickr

Amazing growth Alex! Wow. How are you guys able to achieve such amazing growth?!

Amazing growth Alex! Wow. How are you guys able to achieve such amazing growth?!

PM me, or stop by my thread. Don't want to hijack 4x5's thread. Your tank is looking great btw bro.

All your tanks look great Alex, I've followed your tanks builds here as you know and always look forward to your updates. But honestly, I'd really be interested to see how much growth you can get in 2 months, so if there's somewhere I can follow that please let me know, or pop back in a couple of months and show me as an interested fellow hobbyist. Based on my own personal experience and the size of that frag coupled with the fact that it's pretty fresh and going into a new system I'd not expect more than the plug to be encrusted but I could be wrong of course. Anyway, good luck with the frag, I'm not wanting to argue, I'm genuinely interested to see how much growth it gives off. :)

PS. I still think the price is over the top, for 2 reasons; It's a ton of money for something so tiny and because the guys in Indo have the internet and it affects corals prices. :lol:

• Like 5

Indo guys have internets? That's why the stuff I get doesn't resemble the WD eh? hmmm

That's why we don't get certain corals here anymore. Because they know what people in the US will pay. ;) My LFS's friend owns a coral farm there. As for not getting exactly what you want, that's a normal shipment.
  • Like 2

Im a South African living in the USA. The hobby is much bigger here than back home, making it much easier.

Will definitely like to pay your fish store a visit next time we are in Cape Town again. What is it called, website?

All your tanks look great Alex, I've followed your tanks builds here as you know and always look forward to your updates. But honestly, I'd really be interested to see how much growth you can get in 2 months, so if there's somewhere I can follow that please let me know, or pop back in a couple of months and show me as an interested fellow hobbyist. Based on my own personal experience and the size of that frag coupled with the fact that it's pretty fresh and going into a new system I'd not expect more than the plug to be encrusted but I could be wrong of course. Anyway, good luck with the frag, I'm not wanting to argue, I'm genuinely interested to see how much growth it gives off. :)PS. I still think the price is over the top, for 2 reasons; It's a ton of money for something so tiny and because the guys in Indo have the internet and it affects corals prices. :lol:

I will def update you in a couple months. Nothing to argue about brotha. Price on something like this is subjective. Example...

95% of people in this hobby will say the price is outrageous right? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I fully understand where you guys are coming from. On the other hand...Out of the 4 people who prob own this coral, 3 are vendors, farmers, or stores like ourselves. I pay $15 for mariculture colonies to my door, sometimes cheaper. Aussie is obviously a little more expensive. The fact that I'm willing to drop that amount of money on a piece should tell you guys how amazing it is. If someone with access to a unlimited supply of coral, tons of wholesalers and dealers buys something like that, it should be a indicator that it's pretty special. :)

I honestly thought the coral was photoshopped till I saw it. It is so intense and vibrant. Now we just have to get it to grow and stay colored! Lol

• Like 2

I will def update you in a couple months. Nothing to argue about brotha. Price on something like this is subjective. Example...

95% of people in this hobby will say the price is outrageous right? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I fully understand where you guys are coming from. On the other hand...Out of the 4 people who prob own this coral, 3 are vendors, farmers, or stores like ourselves. I pay $15 for mariculture colonies to my door, sometimes cheaper. Aussie is obviously a little more expensive. The fact that I'm willing to drop that amount of money on a piece should tell you guys how amazing it is. If someone with access to a unlimited supply of coral, tons of wholesalers and dealers buys something like that, it should be a indicator that it's pretty special. :)

I honestly thought the coral was photoshopped till I saw it. It is so intense and vibrant. Now we just have to get it to grow and stay colored! Lol

Where is your thread? Where can we read about how you maintain your tank, products used, etc?

Im a South African living in the USA. The hobby is much bigger here than back home, making it much easier.

Will definitely like to pay your fish store a visit next time we are in Cape Town again. What is it called, website?

There are no online livestock stores. :lol: I believe this is a list of them - http://lfs.dottedline.co.za/

I look forward to it. Thanks.

Tank is looking fantastic Shaun, everything has really bounced back.

Thanks man and welcome back. :) Still working on getting rid of that algae but all in good time. How was the trip?
  • Like 2

Thanks man and welcome back. :) Still working on getting rid of that algae but all in good time. How was the trip?

Trip was great! I didn't end up doing any diving while I was over there but did manage to visit their local aquarium (which was really cool, I'll post an update). I came back to a sandbed covered with cyano and browning to most SPS pieces but that's not something I can't fix. I think I need to bite the bullet and order my new skimmer haha.

• Like 1