SaltCritters.com

Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef

4x5

Tank Shutdown;

In other news this tank is coming down. My plan was to run it till November and then shut it down before a month long trip to Canada but over the space of a week it had a total meltdown and I lost every Acro but my "Chocolate" Stag which is barely alive. Losing corals I'd had for nearly two years overnight was ####### horrible, so I'm a little over it right now. :) But every time I see a nice tank I want to start over, so perhaps I'll do something new in the new year. Haha.

Dude im so sorry to hear about the losses.... Having said that, if you make it to Ottawa while youre here ill buy you dinner.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Man, sorry to hear....I have been creeping your thread for a while and love your build :(

All good thanks. Looking forward to something new this year. :)

Dude im so sorry to hear about the losses.... Having said that, if you make it to Ottawa while youre here ill buy you dinner.

Thanks. Sorry for the late reply. We never made it out that way, but let's just say when we left home it was 32C and when we landed in Calgary it was -35C. Such cold has never been felt before. :lol:

Tank Update;

Preparing to go away this time involved filling a 100L RO container and turning on the auto feeder, no tank sitters, no dosing, no nothing. I came home and the tank had totally stabilized, no diatoms, no cyano, no algae - just nice looking rocks, happy corals and coralline for the first time in forever. Maybe I've been overthinking it for the last year or two. I think I'll pick up a new skimmer pump and do some test corals some time. :)

• Like 10

All good thanks. Looking forward to something new this year. :)

Thanks. Sorry for the late reply. We never made it out that way, but let's just say when we left home it was 32C and when we landed in Calgary it was -35C. Such cold has never been felt before. :lol:

Tank Update;

Preparing to go away this time involved filling a 100L RO container and turning on the auto feeder, no tank sitters, no dosing, no nothing. I came home and the tank had totally stabilized, no diatoms, no cyano, no algae - just nice looking rocks, happy corals and coralline for the first time in forever. Maybe I've been overthinking it for the last year or two. I think I'll pick up a new skimmer pump and do some test corals some time. :)

Your trip looked amazing (on instagram)!! I'm sure the kids had tons of fun too! If it makes you feel better, some times the dry crisp cold of -35 isn't as bad as a damp bone chilling -2. :P

Great news about your tank stabilizing! I am using a plastic container as my sump too, and been seeing diatoms/cyan for the last few months, but it didn't happen right away. If I don't beat it in the next couple of years, I'll switch out the sump. :)

Glad your tank is still alive!!!!

• Like 1

Your trip looked amazing (on instagram)!! I'm sure the kids had tons of fun too! If it makes you feel better, some times the dry crisp cold of -35 isn't as bad as a damp bone chilling -2. :P

Great news about your tank stabilizing! I am using a plastic container as my sump too, and been seeing diatoms/cyan for the last few months, but it didn't happen right away. If I don't beat it in the next couple of years, I'll switch out the sump. :)

Glad your tank is still alive!!!!

It was really great thanks, the little guy (and myself :lol:) really loved the sledding and playing in the snow. That said, we want to get into a summer rotation going over to Canada, it's beautiful when it's all white but I'd rather have endless summer and escape our wet winters. :)

Sometimes I think it's best to just ride the uglies out, it's funny how sometimes they go quickly and other times they just never seem to want to go away, I guess that keeps us on our toes. Haha.

That sucks! So sorry to hear.

It's OK, thanks. The tank never really made it's way back to the glory of the initial rock scape IMO, that said it sucks to have lost some really old corals but we will rebuild.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Upgrade 'O Clock;

Well, it's been a long time coming (in my mind) but the decision has been made, I'll be upgrading my tank. The new tank will be 1400 x 700 x 300mm, still shallow - because shallow rules. :naughtydance: I'll have more details and will likely start a new thread when the tank is ready. omgomgomg

• Like 13

So I can't say for sure it was that container but I'm pretty sure it was.

Shaun,

I completely missed the crash, so sorry. :( I was going to suggest loss of biofilter (and not the part we measure) but putting it back online after dry seems to kill that theory.

Tell me about over thinking things. Guy on RC has a happy healthy acro tank that had a KH drop to 4 for extended periods and things still survived.

Be sure to post link to new thread that you will be starting soon! :)

Neato!

Looking forward to the new build

Thanks both. :)

Shaun,

I completely missed the crash, so sorry. :( I was going to suggest loss of biofilter (and not the part we measure) but putting it back online after dry seems to kill that theory.

Tell me about over thinking things. Guy on RC has a happy healthy acro tank that had a KH drop to 4 for extended periods and things still survived.

Be sure to post link to new thread that you will be starting soon! :)

Hey Mark, thanks for dropping in, yah - it was a strange one but such is this hobby sometimes. Sad to have lost some of my favourite colonies but we will rebuild. I'll make the thread pretty soon here. :) Your tank is doing so well lately, super happy to see that.
  • Like 1

Upgrade 'O Clock;

Well, it's been a long time coming (in my mind) but the decision has been made, I'll be upgrading my tank. The new tank will be 1400 x 700 x 300mm, still shallow - because shallow rules. :naughtydance: I'll have more details and will likely start a new thread when the tank is ready. omgomgomg

Woo hoo!!!! omgomgomg

This going to be awesome :)

• Like 1

Following along for the new build!

Thanks Harold. Your tank is looking great btw. :)

Woo hoo!!!! omgomgomg

This going to be awesome :)

Wooohoooo. :lol: Hopefully it can be decent. :D

• Like 1

Upgrade 'O Clock;

Sometimes, things in this hobby go awry for seemingly unfathomable reasons, but great to see that you are carrying on!

'ontsagwekkende'...awesome (practising a bit of afrikaans) :)

Sometimes, things in this hobby go awry for seemingly unfathomable reasons, but great to see that you are caring on!

Thanks! It can be rough sometimes but it only takes about 5 minutes of looking at corals or nice tanks to re-inspire me to try again, haha. :lol:

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...