Innovative Marine Aquariums

Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef

4x5

lts_march_14_2016_1280.jpg

FTS - March 14;

A quick image from today, I've decided to go BB for no other reason than to have a change and to simplify this tank further. The look works pretty well for me with the Tonga so I'm not too disappointed with the decision. Oh and that is our spare bed in the background if anyone is in town. :lol:

zoas_011.jpg

In other news; I cleaned my MP10s today, flow is pumping and the Zoas are looking nice. :)

• Like 18

FTS - March 16;

A quick image from today, I've decided to go BB for no other reason than to have a change and to simplify this tank further. The look works pretty well for me with the Tonga so I'm not too disappointed with the decision. Oh and that is our spare bed in the background if anyone is in town. :lol:

In other news; I cleaned my MP10s today, flow is pumping and the Zoas are looking nice. :)

March 16? :huh: Time traveler!

Looking great. I'm far too lazy to clean my MP10s. Going on 8 months now haha

• Like 2

March 16? :huh: Time traveler!

Looking great. I'm far too lazy to clean my MP10s. Going on 8 months now haha

Thanks and :lol: fixed thanks, kept thinking the 16th today for some reason. I hadn't cleaned mine in months, they really needed it based on the increase in flow. Haha.

• Like 1

Shshshhhh.... so clean. perhaps my next tank will be BB.... :P

Thanks Tron. I think it can look good, takes a little more effort to keep it neat though, or maybe I need 5 more pumps to just blast it clean. :lol:
  • Like 3
jedimasterben

Thanks Tron. I think it can look good, takes a little more effort to keep it neat though, or maybe I need 5 more pumps to just blast it clean. :lol:

Your rockwork is actually really conducive to a flat bottom since it doesn't have a lot of surface area touching. Even without sand, my rocks had a lot that was touching the bottom and the rocks were really flat, close to it, and had TONS of detritus build up everywhere. I literally had a full measuring cup of dried detritus under my big 'octopus' rock that I took out a little bit ago, and what I replaced it with only touches the bottom in three spots, the rest is all raised, and I raised the other flat rock using a couple of frag disks and man, detritus only catches in one small spot now.

Just beautiful

Thanks Kat.

Your rockwork is actually really conducive to a flat bottom since it doesn't have a lot of surface area touching. Even without sand, my rocks had a lot that was touching the bottom and the rocks were really flat, close to it, and had TONS of detritus build up everywhere. I literally had a full measuring cup of dried detritus under my big 'octopus' rock that I took out a little bit ago, and what I replaced it with only touches the bottom in three spots, the rest is all raised, and I raised the other flat rock using a couple of frag disks and man, detritus only catches in one small spot now.

Yah, you're right - the Tonga is great for keeping everything off the floor, which is great for getting good flow and minimising the detritus traps. Getting rocks up off the ground is a great idea for any tank I think if at all possible. It's pretty amazing how much waste there every day, it's only been a couple but I've siphoned out quite a lot of crap. :lol:

• Like 3

hey you don't have a lid, how do your fish stay in?

No lid. I had one and lost my favourite fish through a tiny gap, so now fish get the chat when entering the tank.
  • Like 1

this tank looks soooo good. makes me miss having a shallow tank. going BB is a great decision!

Thanks man. Your tank is looking sleek as well. :) I do love shallow though.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Promised you some updates bro, so here we are. It lost alot of the pink during transition, but now its coming in strong again. Pretty good growth for 3-4 weeks on a SUPER fresh cut. Has grown a little more since this pic also. Should have a branch that I can frag soon. Already popping side nubs everywhere.

25547614564_890ea58714_k.jpgIMG_4902 by alex barreto, on Flickr

• Like 6