Coral Vue Hydros

DT's ADA 60F Shallow Reef

daletu

This is a random question, but what height BESTA unit is that? The 50'' or the 25''? Can you take a pic of yourself next to it? Just trying to get a feel for how low it is if it's the 25'' version.

• Like 2

So the whole tank is only roughly 33'' off the ground? My 40 breeder stand is about that tall, is it wierd with it being that short? I'm asking because many of the BESTA shots of the inside of the stand look huge.

• Like 1

So the whole tank is only roughly 33'' off the ground? My 40 breeder stand is about that tall, is it wierd with it being that short? I'm asking because many of the BESTA shots of the inside of the stand look huge.

I remember him saying his is two besta stands. Not just one. Something like that.

• Like 1

Just saw your pics on the photostream on the front page and just had to stop by and say I think you have done a fantastic job so far. The scape looks great and I think you have done a good job selecting corals and live stock so far. Your planted fresh water tank is also quite stunning. It looks like you are getting good light from the AI Hydra as well. I have an AI Sol Blue myself and am wanting to purchase the Hydra upgrade kit as soon as I can.

One question, what is that thing hanging off the left hand side of the tank with the pellets in it? A food holder? I have never seen one before.

• Like 3

Thanks again glennr1978!

I was reading all these additives information on BRS website. I think I have decided to do the 2 part dosing instead of Kalkwasser. Like you said, in my case, seems like only the alk is low, so it might be better to separate cal and alk to give me more control on each value.

My ATO water pumps directly to my MP10 high flow area. Will that work for dosing alk in ATO reservoir? Or I shouldn't pump fresh water to MP10 after all?

I think you would have a very hard time regulating your dosages if you added alk to you ATO reservoir. You're only going to need a few ml per day at first and I'd be willing to bet that in a wide and shallow tank such as yours water evaporates relatively quickly. So your ATO probably kicks on quite a bit.

It seems you've already got a good understanding of how to dose accordingly. Don't even worry about dosing Ca until you can't maintain proper levels with wc's. However, as your corals grow you won't be able to rely on wc's alone for very long.

• Like 1

Seeing your tank makes me want to go start another tank tomorrow!!! You are an artist. One of my favorite nano's I have seen.

Thank you!

This is a random question, but what height BESTA unit is that? The 50'' or the 25''? Can you take a pic of yourself next to it? Just trying to get a feel for how low it is if it's the 25'' version.

It's not that tall, I have the same stand lol.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S09887556/

I remember him saying his is two besta stands. Not just one. Something like that.

I use two BESTA... here are the links...

One 25 1/4" tall shelf

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50102157/#/00134052

One 15" tall shelf

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20134051/

And two glossy doors that match the shelves.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20227272/#/50178468

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20227272/#/70178467

Total is about 40 inches height.

25" is too short, that's why I combined two units. The shelf unit already comes with kit that can assembled two units together.

I did not use legs, you can buy a set of legs that can raise about 5" taller but I found 40" is just about right so I did not get legs.

• Like 1

Just saw your pics on the photostream on the front page and just had to stop by and say I think you have done a fantastic job so far. The scape looks great and I think you have done a good job selecting corals and live stock so far. Your planted fresh water tank is also quite stunning. It looks like you are getting good light from the AI Hydra as well. I have an AI Sol Blue myself and am wanting to purchase the Hydra upgrade kit as soon as I can.

One question, what is that thing hanging off the left hand side of the tank with the pellets in it? A food holder? I have never seen one before.

Thank you for the kind words. The thing that hanging on the left side is glass food holder made by ADA.

http://www.adana.co.jp/en/products/na_food/ap_glass/

• Like 2

I think you would have a very hard time regulating your dosages if you added alk to you ATO reservoir. You're only going to need a few ml per day at first and I'd be willing to bet that in a wide and shallow tank such as yours water evaporates relatively quickly. So your ATO probably kicks on quite a bit.

It seems you've already got a good understanding of how to dose accordingly. Don't even worry about dosing Ca until you can't maintain proper levels with wc's. However, as your corals grow you won't be able to rely on wc's alone for very long.

Thanks again.

Here is what I found out today... about my Alkalinity and Calcium level... I use Hanna Checkers

Yesterday's values:

Alkalinity 6.6 dKH

Calcium 442 ppm

Today's values:

Alkalinity 5.9 dKH

Calcium 390 ppm

My freshly mixed saltwater

Alkalinity 9.5 dKH

Calcium 456 ppm

Is it possible Alk and Calcium can drop this much in one day?

Next water change is due on Thursday, it will be one week.

Fuxxx!! Together adds to over $100!! ahah, damn, it's very nice though. But won't work for frozen brine shrimp eh?

LOL! I know. Very pricy, but it works really well and I like it. Quality is great too. You know ADA, everything is high quality... you won't be able to find any single tiny little bubble in their glass product. I think it's worth it. :)

Customer service is great too. I actually have a 60F sitting on a side for free. :P What happened was that my first order of 60F had bubble in the sealant and water gets in there, not leak, just water in there. They sent me a new one and let me keep the bubble one. I just bought tank sealant and sealed it. Now I have 2nd 60F that I may be using it as my crystal shrimp breeding tank. Haha.

• Like 2

Ohh man, you lucky asss!! :)

Hmm I should watch out for that bubble sealant, maybe I might be able to get 2nd ada free like you did. ahah

But don't use it as a breeding freshwater tank...

I have a feeling you're going to leave the freshwater hobby. Give it a yr. ;) That's how long it took me.

• Like 1

New Montis...

131104-13s.jpg

131104-14s.jpg

Can anyone help me to identify these two montipora? I know the other two that I got from raffle tickets drawing but still having hard time to identify these two.

The first one has light purple body with neon green small polyps.

The second one has green body with light purple edge and blue/purple polyps.

• Like 1

Ohh man, you lucky asss!! :)

Hmm I should watch out for that bubble sealant, maybe I might be able to get 2nd ada free like you did. ahah

But don't use it as a breeding freshwater tank...

I have a feeling you're going to leave the freshwater hobby. Give it a yr. ;) That's how long it took me.

Hahaha... I have had reef tank back in college time, it was hassle to deal with all the DIY dosing stuff, lighting, sump, and culturing the food for brine shrimp... etc... it wasn't very pleasant and it was a mess! Haha. That is why I switched to planted tank. And now I forgot all of those reef tank knowledges. :P

If this tank can bring back my confident, I may do another one, but I am still leaning toward building another planted tank for breeding my crystal shrimps. LOL. We will see.

• Like 1

Lol. I thought this was your 1st reef tank....ahh guess it ain't going to happen for you then lol.

Who knows?! Maybe this one works out well, then I will do another one. My fiancé actually likes my reef tank more than my planted tank which she thinks it's boring. LOL. It's actually her who talked me into building this reef tank.

• Like 1
Thanks again. Here is what I found out today... about my Alkalinity and Calcium level... I use Hanna Checkers Yesterday's values:Alkalinity 6.6 dKHCalcium 442 ppm Today's values:Alkalinity 5.9 dKHCalcium 390 ppm My freshly mixed saltwaterAlkalinity 9.5 dKHCalcium 456 ppm Is it possible Alk and Calcium can drop this much in one day? Next water change is due on Thursday, it will be one week.
Yes, it is absolutely possible. If I were you I would do a wc asap. If your alk drops any lower you may (probably will) start losing your sps.

They will start to receed from the base of the coral up.

• Like 2

Who knows?! Maybe this one works out well, then I will do another one. My fiancé actually likes my reef tank more than my planted tank which she thinks it's boring. LOL. It's actually her who talked me into building this reef tank.

She's a keeper. Good thing you proposed already. Congrats =P.

• Like 3