Coral Vue Hydros

DT's ADA 60F Shallow Reef

daletu

Are you seeing any improvement? The two that I had to cut back seem to be doing okay for now, though small. *knocks on wood*

Yea. They are doing fine now. No more peeling. :)

• Like 2
Polarcollision

05.jpg

13.jpg

I'm in awe of your planted tank. You have a nice eye for design and clearly a green thumb as well. A year ago I saw a gorgeous bonsai tank with baby tears and a school of cardinal tetras. I thought I could pull it off since the reef thing worked out pretty well, but all I grew was algae. Granted, it was impressive in it's algae-ness. Makes me appreciate the skill and effort these take even more.

• Like 3
Polarcollision

Only change that I made was the new salt mix - Red Sea. It was changed last Tuesday. Could it be new salt mix? Red Sea Coral Pro is a good brand though. And I made sure ALK and CA level was the same before water change. Could it be sudden change of Magnesium that cause the problem? I have never tested Magnesium before, so I don't know about the level of magnesium before and after.

I'm still learning about SPS care, so my head is full of info and this is more just tossing out ideas that may be part of the answer:

Sometimes salt striates in shipping so the percentages of elements can be different at the bottom and top of the bucket/bag. Did you mix up the salt in the bucket before using it?

If you matched alk and Ca before switching, maybe the pH was different? I'd put this at the bottom of things to consider. When I switched from reef crystals to red sea, nothing seemed to mind it, but large and rapid swings in pH are difficult for proteins to adjust to. Maybe oxygenation or the time between mixing and water change was off?

I also read a great article recently about keeping nitrate levels consistent since zooxanthelle numbers are regulated in part by the amount of nitrate in the water. If there's sudden;y a big swing in nitrates from a 60% water change, it could be enough that they can't feed the zooxanthelle, which then can't feed the coral, which leads to death.

Ammonia? Even if nothing larger in the tank died off, sometimes a chemistry change can affect the micro-level of life.

• Like 2

Just got caught up in this thread. I had a chinchilla when I was young too. I looked into getting a baby white one last year from a rescue group. But my wife didn't like that they poop every 3-5s. Haha.

Sorry about the RTN. Good thing you spotted it and fragged them early. I had STN on my pink birdnest and it recovered after I cut off the STN part.

Hope everything else is going great. More pictures?

• Like 1

Ahh... I've been extremely busy at work recently! Sorry for the late response!

How's that Marine Magic dosing pump working out for you?

It works great! I have had no issue with it so far.

daletu - Where in the state are you? You going to the frag swap on the 15th?

I missed the frag swap! :(

Any updates on this beast ?

Tank is still working fine. I will try to have some photo update these couple days.

this makes me miss my planted tank I have my mini M just sitting in the back yard... amazing tank sir.

Thank you sir! :)

I'm still learning about SPS care, so my head is full of info and this is more just tossing out ideas that may be part of the answer:

Sometimes salt striates in shipping so the percentages of elements can be different at the bottom and top of the bucket/bag. Did you mix up the salt in the bucket before using it?

If you matched alk and Ca before switching, maybe the pH was different? I'd put this at the bottom of things to consider. When I switched from reef crystals to red sea, nothing seemed to mind it, but large and rapid swings in pH are difficult for proteins to adjust to. Maybe oxygenation or the time between mixing and water change was off?

I also read a great article recently about keeping nitrate levels consistent since zooxanthelle numbers are regulated in part by the amount of nitrate in the water. If there's sudden;y a big swing in nitrates from a 60% water change, it could be enough that they can't feed the zooxanthelle, which then can't feed the coral, which leads to death.

Ammonia? Even if nothing larger in the tank died off, sometimes a chemistry change can affect the micro-level of life.

Looks like everything is in check, and corals are doing fine now. What cause the RTN is still a mystery.

• Like 1

It works great! I have had no issue with it so far.

Awesome, thanks man. I might pick one up - my tank is starting to get thirsty and with work being as crazy as it is lately - manual dosing is not a reasonable long term plan. :lol:

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks man. I might pick one up - my tank is starting to get thirsty and with work being as crazy as it is lately - manual dosing is not a reasonable long term plan. :lol:

Definitely worth it! It's probably the best investment along with ATO. Save me a lot of time as well.

• Like 1

2/19/2014 UPDATE

I've been too busy at work so was kind of neglecting the tank for a while. I fed the fish, but did not change water for almost 2 weeks, surprisingly the tank was still doing fine. One coral that's not doing too well is the pink stylo which is a bit bleached due to increasing the light intensity a month ago.

FTS

140219-01.jpg

It's been two months since I got Spotted Mandarin to control flatworms and pods issue. Now, flatworms and pods are in control so I feed him ova at least 3-4 times a week. He seems doing just fine in my tank and not bothering anything at all.

140219-02.jpg

Swissguard Basslet has been very active. He swam around corals and rocks but sometimes got chased away by Orchid Dottyback if got too close to dottyback's cave. They got along just fine, have not seem them fight.

140219-03.jpg

140219-04.jpg

Orchid Dottyback spent most of its time in the cave, only came out when feeding. One way to trick him to come out of cave is to turn off the pump, so he will think its feeding time. I got lucky that I was able to snap a few shots of him.

140219-05.jpg

140219-06.jpg

140219-07.jpg

Will do coral update tomorrow.

• Like 6

Dude, looking sick! One of my favorite tanks on here. Definitely TOTM worthy.

Thanks man! Just saw your new tank photos, looks awesome! And the sump looks neat too! Congrats on solving the algae issue, all your hard works pays off! :D

• Like 2

Thanks man! Just saw your new tank photos, looks awesome! And the sump looks neat too! Congrats on solving the algae issue, all your hard works pays off! :D

Thanks mate :D, really enjoying the tank right now and everything is looking great. I'm hoping the sump will be able to help with stability plus it will allow me to get the qquipment out of the tank, mor eroom for corals haha.

• Like 1

2/19/2014 UPDATE

I've been too busy at work so was kind of neglecting the tank for a while. I fed the fish, but did not change water for almost 2 weeks, surprisingly the tank was still doing fine. One coral that's not doing too well is the pink stylo which is a bit bleached due to increasing the light intensity a month ago.

FTS

140219-01.jpg

It's been two months since I got Spotted Mandarin to control flatworms and pods issue. Now, flatworms and pods are in control so I feed him ova at least 3-4 times a week. He seems doing just fine in my tank and not bothering anything at all.

140219-02.jpg

Swissguard Basslet has been very active. He swam around corals and rocks but sometimes got chased away by Orchid Dottyback if got too close to dottyback's cave. They got along just fine, have not seem them fight.

140219-03.jpg

140219-04.jpg

Orchid Dottyback spent most of its time in the cave, only came out when feeding. One way to trick him to come out of cave is to turn off the pump, so he will think its feeding time. I got lucky that I was able to snap a few shots of him.

140219-05.jpg

140219-06.jpg

140219-07.jpg

Will do coral update tomorrow.

New photos from this thread always brings me happiness.

• Like 1

2/20/2014 LPS and Soft Corals Update

This is one of the half acan that was broken in half last month. It's now fully recovered.

140219-08.jpg

The yellow splatter hammer grows very fast. I am starting to worry it will get too big.

140219-09.jpg

The green ricordea has now completed separated into two. Orange rhodactis is much bigger than before and starting to show green color.

140219-10.jpg

140219-11.jpg

140219-12.jpg

140219-13.jpg

Zoanthids from "buddythelion" are doing great too, lots of new heads pop out!

140219-14.jpg

140219-15.jpg

140219-16.jpg

140219-17.jpg

140219-18.jpg

SPS update tomorrow...

• Like 9