daletu

DT's ADA 60F Shallow Reef

daletu

Only change that I made was the new salt mix - Red Sea. It was changed last Tuesday. Could it be new salt mix? Red Sea Coral Pro is a good brand though. And I made sure ALK and CA level was the same before water change. Could it be sudden change of Magnesium that cause the problem? I have never tested Magnesium before, so I don't know about the level of magnesium before and after.

VABumpkin

Any other changes? I mean anything.

You may want to contact Christine (NanoTopia). She is very knowledgeable when it comes to SPS.

• Like 1

daletu

Any other changes? I mean anything.

Hmmm. Feed less? Trying to reduce Phosphate now, it was 0.06 before water change last week.

Lighting... raise green led to about 45%. Might be this? Sudden change of lighting?

Rehype

Salt changes can mean disaster to established systems. Ive seen many reefers lose SPS and other corals when switching to a new salt. IME its best to switch salts in incremental stages such as adding small amounts to your current saltmix when doing water changes.

• Like 5

VABumpkin

Red Sea salt is higher in heavy metals than other brands. Could have shocked the corals if they're not used to it. What was your mix before?

• Like 1

daletu

Salt changes can mean disaster to established systems. Ive seen many reefers lose SPS and other corals when switching to a new salt. IME its best to switch salts in incremental stages such as adding small amounts to your current saltmix when doing water changes.

If salt mix is the reason, what should I do now? There is no way to revert it back to my old salt mix. Should I leave them in the tank and hope for the best or any other way to save them? The Red Planet seems to be in worth condition, should I cut the white part and frag the healthy part?

Red Sea salt is higher in heavy metals than other brands. Could have shocked the corals if they're not used to it. What was your mix before?

Marine Enterprises Crystal Sea Marinemix Salt Mix

Rehype

If salt mix is the reason, what should I do now? There is no way to revert it back to my old salt mix. Should I leave them in the tank and hope for the best or any other way to save them? The Red Planet seems to be in worth condition, should I cut the white part and frag the healthy part?

At this point you could try cutting them and remounting them...cant guarantee that this will stop the RTN but its your best shot.

• Like 2

VABumpkin

If those are the only corals affected it is likely that they are just more sensitive to the trace element changes in the salt. Fragging shouldn't hurt the corals enough to cause more damage than has already happened but as Rehype said it's worth a shot.

• Like 1

daletu

At this point you could try cutting them and remounting them...cant guarantee that this will stop the RTN but its your best shot.

If those are the only corals affected it is likely that they are just more sensitive to the trace element changes in the salt. Fragging shouldn't hurt the corals enough to cause more damage than has already happened but as Rehype said it's worth a shot.

OK! Thanks guys! I will frag them now.

Another lesson learned! Need to gradually change to a new salt mix.

urbaneks

From my experience, S/RTN events like this happen from 1) Alk swings 2) Flat Worms or 3) overdose of GFO. You said your alk was stable so that is most likely not the cause. I don't see any signs of Flatworms from your photos but that does not mean they are not present. They typically hide on the underside of branches. May be something to look for. Not sure if you are using GFO or now but I had an incident in the past that I believe was caused by adding too much GFO.

With all of that said, these events do happen and sometimes you can't explain it. It happens to the best of reefers.

• Like 2

daletu

From my experience, S/RTN events like this happen from 1) Alk swings 2) Flat Worms or 3) overdose of GFO. You said your alk was stable so that is most likely not the cause. I don't see any signs of Flatworms from your photos but that does not mean they are not present. They typically hide on the underside of branches. May be something to look for. Not sure if you are using GFO or now but I had an incident in the past that I believe was caused by adding too much GFO.

With all of that said, these events do happen and sometimes you can't explain it. It happens to the best of reefers.

Thank you! I am going to look to see if there is any flat worm. I had some flat worms before but they are those common ones which should not eat SPS and they have disappeared since I got a spotted mandarin. What is GFO?

VABumpkin

It's Granular Ferric Oxide. A form of rust that absorbs phosphates. It comes in little granules and you can use it in a reactor or media bag.

• Like 1

daletu

It's Granular Ferric Oxide. A form of rust that absorbs phosphates. It comes in little granules and you can use it in a reactor or media bag.

I see. I have never used that.

Just fragged the red planet acro but decided to leave evergreen acro alone to see how it goes. I have not found any flatworm.

buddythelion

If it's AEFW (acro eating flat worms) you'll see bite marks along the base of your acro. It usually doesn't lead to the fast receding that you're seeing so I don't think it's AEFW. I've had my fair share of experience with them and they're no fun. Grab a turkey baster and squirt around the base to find out if you have any!

• Like 2

daletu

If it's AEFW (acro eating flat worms) you'll see bite marks along the base of your acro. It usually doesn't lead to the fast receding that you're seeing so I don't think it's AEFW. I've had my fair share of experience with them and they're no fun. Grab a turkey baster and squirt around the base to find out if you have any!

Just took an even closer look but can't find AEFW. The problem might really be caused by the sudden change of salt mix especially I changed 4 gallons of water each time, which is more than 60% of tank volume. I will see how they are doing tomorrow. Thanks Darwin! :)

SgtBhaji

I have a 60f and have some small sps frags that have recently suffered from slow tissue necrosis. I have cut them back and glued them to frag plates to try save them. During this period, I suffered some spikes in nitrates that I'm attempting to combat with water changes and reduced feeding.

What's odd, is that during this, I have one small Acro that's thriving (knock on wood).

• Like 1

daletu

I have a 60f and have some small sps frags that have recently suffered from slow tissue necrosis. I have cut them back and glued them to frag plates to try save them. During this period, I suffered some spikes in nitrates that I'm attempting to combat with water changes and reduced feeding.

What's odd, is that during this, I have one small Acro that's thriving (knock on wood).

Both of my acros suffering from RTN are small frags, the bigger ones seem to do fine. Maybe those small ones can't withstand the change as much as those bigger ones.

SgtBhaji

Not sure... The one frag that's doing great was a tiny piece that I glued to the rock and never exepected to make it. While I have suffered issues with other frags, this one continues to grow and encrust.

The other frags were doing great for most of last year, then I brought home a small frag from a lfs that went quickly (others came from a fellow reefer), then the others followed suit. I don't know if I brought a pest home or not, but still working the prob.

As I say though.. I did hit a good sized nitrate spike during that initial down-turn... so I have been asuming that was my issue.

daletu

Not sure... The one frag that's doing great was a tiny piece that I glued to the rock and never exepected to make it. While I have suffered issues with other frags, this one continues to grow and encrust.

The other frags were doing great for most of last year, then I brought home a small frag from a lfs that went quickly (others came from a fellow reefer), then the others followed suit. I don't know if I brought a pest home or not, but still working the prob.

As I say though.. I did hit a good sized nitrate spike during that initial down-turn... so I have been asuming that was my issue.

I see. :) As of right now, I am still not sure what cause my RTN problem either. I can only assume it's the sudden change of salt mix. I hope they recover once they get used to it. The only thing I can do is to observe I guess. :huh:

SgtBhaji

My tank really isn't set up for SPS in all honesty, but I have been dabbling with them in there, so I can only relay my very limited experience. I wish I could offer something more solid.

By all accounts though, it can take them a while to show signs of deterioration, so while it seems you're on top of them, they can be but a few days away from going tits-up... which seems to add a whole other level of "wtf am I doing wrong?" to the equation.

Hope you get a handle on it soon.

• Like 1

Reefkid88

Man this sucks seeing this happen to people.. Hopefully everything had a speedy recovery !! Have you tried dipping anything to possibly kill anything you can't find ?

Are you dosing any blue bottles ?! If the RTN proceedes to claim sps,maybe call on help from Tron or some of the other sps guru's for advice. Hopefully it's just the drastic change in salts...

• Like 1

daletu

My tank really isn't set up for SPS in all honesty, but I have been dabbling with them in there, so I can only relay my very limited experience. I wish I could offer something more solid.

By all accounts though, it can take them a while to show signs of deterioration, so while it seems you're on top of them, they can be but a few days away from going tits-up... which seems to add a whole other level of "wtf am I doing wrong?" to the equation.

Hope you get a handle on it soon.

Man this sucks seeing this happen to people.. Hopefully everything had a speedy recovery !! Have you tried dipping anything to possibly kill anything you can't find ?

Are you dosing any blue bottles ?! If the RTN proceedes to claim sps,maybe call on help from Tron or some of the other sps guru's for advice. Hopefully it's just the drastic change in salts...

Thanks guys! I will keep my eye on them, hopefully they will recover or at least stop peeling. No. I did not dose "blue bottle". What is that?

brad908

Zeo=blue bottles

• Like 1

daletu

Zeo=blue bottles

Haha. Thanks Brad! I still have a lot of things to learn! :)

SgtBhaji

Are you seeing any improvement? The two that I had to cut back seem to be doing okay for now, though small. *knocks on wood*

• Like 1