SaltCritters.com

DT's ADA 60F Shallow Reef

daletu

I was just looking at live aquaria website that they have yasha for sale for only $29.99 but looks like I will have to get a wrasse to control pods and flatworms. :(

What other choices do I have other than six-line and pink streaked wrasse. Six-line will be too big for my tank and pink streaked looks like freshwater fish! Haha.

you can get a spotted mandarin.. I got one for my Nuvo and it took care of ALL my flatworms and pods.. only thing is I have to keep a fugue with cheato for the pods.

• Like 1

you can get a spotted mandarin.. I got one for my Nuvo and it took care of ALL my flatworms and pods.. only thing is I have to keep a fugue with cheato for the pods.

Wait, mandarin eats flatworms?? I've never heard of that! :)

• Like 1

Wait, mandarin eats flatworms?? I've never heard of that! :)

Yes they do, I had a bad flatworm out break (brown/copper ones) I got a spotted mandarin and like two days they were all gone and they were everywhere...

• Like 2

My friend has a pair of spotted mandarins in her tank (same ADA 60F tank as mine) but she grows her own pods to feed them, I can probably get some pods from her if I get spotted mandarin. Are all other mandarins eat flatworms or just the spotted?

• Like 1

Yes they do, I had a bad flatworm out break (brown/copper ones) I got a spotted mandarin and like two days they were all gone and they were everywhere...

although I kinda wish I got a six line because they have more color and now I have to maintain a fuge

• Like 2

Wow, I'm surprised they actually eat flatworms, 1st time I've ever heard of that since in the hobby from 2008 lol.

• Like 1

My friend has a pair of spotted mandarins in her tank but she grows her own pods to feed them, I can probably get some pods from her if I get spotted mandarin. Are all other mandarins eat flatworms or just the spotted?

that I can't speak too the LFS told me that the other one had more of a picky diet and would not eat my flatworms. I can only speak that for the spotted one.

• Like 2

that I can't speak too the LFS told me that the other one had more of a picky diet and would not eat my flatworms. I can only speak that for the spotted one.

Fair enough, I will ask my friend to get her opinion as well. Thanks so much! :)

• Like 2

Waiting for the video to load up, but anyways, that's great news man!! How about the orchid dottyback? Is that fish coming out now?

Edit: Just finished the video, dude that basslet looks smexy. Does it come out of the cave most the time?

• Like 1
Waiting for the video to load up, but anyways, that's great news man!! How about the orchid dottyback? Is that fish coming out now?

Edit: Just finished the video, dude that basslet looks smexy. Does it come out of the cave most the time?

I saw dottyback peek his head out while I was feeding today. He probably got some mysis too but I have never seem him come out of cave swimming around.

Basslet hung out around that cave most of time. Only saw him venture to the right side rock once in a while. If I get close to the tank, he will swim away and back to his cave.

• Like 1

I have flatworms too, the white and red kinds. Get it under control now or the population will explode. I just got a Springer's Damsel for $5.00. They are suppose to eat flatworms and look pretty cool. I saw mine pecking at the rocks but he was hovering over some flatworms and didn't eat them. Hopefully he will once he settles into the tank.

• Like 2

I saw dottyback peek his head out while I was feeding today. He probably got some mysis too but I have never seem him come out of cave swimming around. Basslet hung out around that cave most of time. Only saw him venture to the right side rock once in a while. If I get close to the tank, he will swim away and back to his cave.

Lol it takes time. No worries. ;)

• Like 1
I have flatworms too, the white and red kinds. Get it under control now or the population will explode. I just got a Springer's Damsel for $5.00. They are suppose to eat flatworms and look pretty cool. I saw mine pecking at the rocks but he was hovering over some flatworms and didn't eat them. Hopefully he will once he settles into the tank.
I have few options now... Spotted mandarin, pink streaked wrasse, six line wrasse and springer's damsel now! I'll do some more research about these fish and pick one ASAP for my tank. :)

dont u have 2 clowns already? i dont think it's a good idea to add another fish....
No. I gave away two clowns for the dottyback and basslet. :)
  • Like 2

I vote six line if you are ok with people giving you crap about 3 fish in your tank and one being a six-line. It looks the coolest and easiest to maintain and it swims around everywhere. I also considered a six-line but my wife said it's ugly =P.

• Like 2

I'm fine with any of them actually cuz what I really want is a Dracula or yasha haze goby but I can't have one in my tank due to my tank been shallow tank and they jump out easily. Haha

• Like 1

I'm fine with any of them actually cuz what I really want is a Dracula or yasha haze goby but I can't have one in my tank due to my tank been shallow tank and they jump out easily. Haha

Dracula goby is the black with yellow right? Ehh, yasha looks so much better lol.

• Like 1

Dracula goby is the black with yellow right? Ehh, yasha looks so much better lol.

Red white yellow and black stripes, and it has half circle top fin looks like dracula vampire's collar, so cool. I like it!
  • Like 1

Red white yellow and black stripes, and it has half circle top fin looks like dracula vampire's collar, so cool. I like it!

Yeah, same thing, can barely see the red...lol. Yasha looks more like a saltwater fish* ;)

• Like 1

I would vote for a mandarin....but I still can't believe it eating flatworms....1st time I've ever heard such a thing and I've talked to many experts before lol.

I swear it ate all mine lol

• Like 2

Treatment

The best way of controlling flatworms is by prevention. Maintaining low nutrient levels in the aquarium with the use of carbon and aggressive protein skimming, along with increased water flow will help to reduce the populations of these pests. Proper quarantine of new specimens, and all aquatic life before they are placed in the display aquarium will keep the initial introduction of flatworms to a minimum.a_et_parasites_nudi.jpg

• Natural means of control include: Wrasse of the genus Pseudocheilinus, such as theSix Line Wrasse (P. hexataenia), Halichoeres Wrasse, such as Yellow Wrasse (H. chrysus), Macropharyngodon Wrasse such as the numerous Leopard Wrasse(Macropharyngodon sp.), and Dragonets such as the Spotted Mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus). The Blue Velvet Nudibranch (Chelidonura varians) is very effective at consuming flatworms in the aquarium, but is very sensitive to changes in water chemistry and has a short life expectancy in the home aquarium.
  • Although the species mentioned above will consume flatworms, they may not feed on all of the different species that inhabit the aquarium, nor will they typically rid the aquarium completely. Also be sure that your aquarium is appropriate for the fish, as some of the species do have special requirements and increased care levels in the home aquarium.
  • Another method of removing flatworms from an infected colony is by performing a brief freshwater bath or dip. Flatworms are very sensitive to salinity changes; by dipping the colony in dechlorinated freshwater for 5 to 10 seconds and then shaking the colony while submerged in the bath of freshwater, will cause the worms to lose their grip and fall to the bottom of the container. Be sure the freshwater has the same temperature and pH as the aquarium's water in order to reduce the amount of stress on the colony.
  • The last method involves manual removal. Siphoning seems to work the best, as the flatworms do not keep a very strong grip on the colony. A small diameter airline tubing works very well for soft leather coral colonies and some species of mushrooms. Be careful not to damage the coral with too strong of a siphon. For the more delicate mushrooms and LPS corals, small syringes work very well. It is possible to get the syringe very close to the flatworm and gently draw the worm into the syringe without harming the coral.

With severe infestations, you may have to employ a combination of all methods mentioned above in order to eliminate or even control the populations of these pests.

• Like 3

I swear it ate all mine lol

Yupp guess you were right according to Kuai's quote. Amazing, I mean never had one told me that as a good recommendation for controlling flatworm pests...lol.

• Like 2