Pod Your Reef

DT's ADA 60F Shallow Reef

daletu

In a prior tank, I had a abundance of pods which I believed were eating my zoa's. After doing some research, I read that it was possible that the zoa's was already dying and the pods were just cleaning house. From my experience, I believe that with an overpopulation of pods, food becomes scarce and they move onto other things i.e. zoa's. Once I introduced a wrasse into the system, the pod population was controlled and my zoa's were doing fine.

I cannot say you will experience the same, but I just wanted to inform you in case the phenomenon does happen you will be prepared.

• Like 2

In a prior tank, I had a abundance of pods which I believed were eating my zoa's. After doing some research, I read that it was possible that the zoa's was already dying and the pods were just cleaning house. From my experience, I believe that with an overpopulation of pods, food becomes scarce and they move onto other things i.e. zoa's. Once I introduced a wrasse into the system, the pod population was controlled and my zoa's were doing fine.

I cannot say you will experience the same, but I just wanted to inform you in case the phenomenon does happen you will be prepared.

Thank you Geppetto! I will keep my eyes on the situation but do you think the pods population in my tank is ok or it's already too much?

• Like 1

I had a similar experience.

When you think you have too much, that's usually a sign that you have too much.

• Like 2

I had a similar experience.

When you think you have too much, that's usually a sign that you have too much.

Hmm... most wrasses are too big for my tank. Any other fish or invert will eat them?

• Like 1

Maybe invest in a mandarin ?! Gorgeous and don't they LOVE pods ?!

My tank may be too small for them? Probably not enough food in a long run?

Beautiful pictures!

Thank you! :)

very nice 60F-make want a ada again but my wife would kill me if i started yet another one lol

Hehe... small tank is not that hard to maintain and can be beautiful like your mangrove forest. You should. Haha... such a bad influence! :)

You need to make a video like this.

I first need to figure out how to solve the rolling shutter problem. From what I know now, I either have to change the light or get a new camera, and both are out of my league at this moment. :D Haha...

• Like 1

Very true. They do need to e kept in 30+ gallons from what Live Aquaria says.

When I first got into saltwater tanks I had a 10 gallon and I talked to my lfs ( whom at the time had a huge disease problem and it killed over 100 fish ) and they actually let me use a scooter blenny to keep the pod population in check. They pods were actually messing with my Zoa's so bad they wouldn't open then the ended up grown algae on them and they melted away.

• Like 1

Yeah a mandarin would not be the best idea. As for a wrasse, I currently have a 18g tank, I'm looking for a Cryptic wrasse. A Possum wrasse is another wrasse that comes to mind for a nano tank.

• Like 1
Very true. They do need to e kept in 30+ gallons from what Live Aquaria says.

When I first got into saltwater tanks I had a 10 gallon and I talked to my lfs ( whom at the time had a huge disease problem and it killed over 100 fish ) and they actually let me use a scooter blenny to keep the pod population in check. They pods were actually messing with my Zoa's so bad they wouldn't open then the ended up grown algae on them and they melted away.

That sounds scary. I don't notice my zoas close often due to overpopulated pods at least not yet. I'll start paying attention on that, hopefully my fish will eat them after they start feeling comfortable in my tank.

Yeah a mandarin would not be the best idea. As for a wrasse, I currently have a 18g tank, I'm looking for a Cryptic wrasse. A Possum wrasse is another wrasse that comes to mind for a nano tank.

I have a dottyback and basslet, they both are cave dwelling fish. After looking at possum wrasse info, I feel it may not fit in my tank with two of more bossy fish I have right now. :(

I am starting to see more of these worms on my glass. They look like flatworm I believe. I read an article about them saying that they are fine and they eat pods. I am guessing their population increases because of my pods population exploded recently but I still want to double check with you guys to make sure they are ok to be left alone.

whitby06.jpg

• Like 1

Ehh, I don't like flatworms. Too many can actually prevent your corals from receiving light...they do this by leeching on top of your corals. A wrasse will take good care of them (eat them).

• Like 1

I think I need to take closer look to my tank's flatworms, they look similar the photo I showed above but may not be the same. That type of flatworms will consume pods according to the article I read. Let me see if I can take a photo of the flatworm in my tank for you to identify.

• Like 1

Probably going to have to add a six-line wrasse. That means 3 fishes in the tank, no more yasha goby for you! Muahahaha jkjk.

Or if you want a more sexy rare nano wrasse, consider getting a pink streaked wrasse. ;)

• Like 1

I was just looking at live aquaria website that they have yasha for sale for only $29.99 but looks like I will have to get a wrasse to control pods and flatworms. :(

What other choices do I have other than six-line and pink streaked wrasse. Six-line will be too big for my tank and pink streaked looks like freshwater fish! Haha.

• Like 1

Lol, well I think those are the nano wrasses that eats flatworms, or you can add a possum wrasse, which I think looks ugly in colors...lol.

If I'm correct, pink streaked wrasses are prettier in person....and some can be ugly, some pretty.

Don't get adult size six-line wrasse.....they can kill your other two fishes lol. Make sure you go baby size lol.

• Like 1

Lol, well I think those are the nano wrasses that eats flatworms, or you can add a possum wrasse, which I think looks ugly in colors...lol.

If I'm correct, pink streaked wrasses are prettier in person....and some can be ugly, some pretty.

Don't get adult size six-line wrasse.....they can kill your other two fishes lol. Make sure you go baby size lol.

I may try to find a pink streaked wrasse then, looks like no place sells it now.

• Like 1