Innovative Marine Aquariums

DT's ADA 60F Shallow Reef

daletu

Looks like the ai hydra is a perfect match for this tank. Considering those great colors your sps is showing. But I just don't like that wire in the back middle.

• Like 1

Your mushrooms should be fine. It takes a couple of day for them to really open up. It would be good to put them in shades in the beginning and slowly acclimate them to your light.

Get some Sunset Montipora or Rainbow Montipora for even more color =).

Also, it's kind of weird that you put your mushrooms closest to your mp10 and your SPS furthest =P

Maybe I should put all the mushrooms in the shape, I thought they should be fine placing at the farthest from the light.

I like montipora, probably will get some colorful ones like you said to fill the left rock cliff.

MP10 is actually at back corner, mushrooms are in the front corner, so they are not very close to the MP10 actually. Where the mushrooms sit has lowest water flow I think.

Awesome! JMO normally with an 8.5g with clowns i'd be like hmmmm, nope lol but the tank has such a huge footprint! IMO keep up with params and dosing and this will be a great reef, possibly TOTM worthy :)

:D You guys are giving me too much confidence. Now I can't fail! So much pressure. LOL!

• Like 2

I can't stop looking at your latest FTS. This is my dream tank. I love my PicO but this is another level of awesomeness. I have lots of research to do now to figure out filtration for this tank, but you have inspired me to get this for my second tank.

• Like 3

Looks like the ai hydra is a perfect match for this tank. Considering those great colors your sps is showing. But I just don't like that wire in the back middle.

I don't like it either. Gotta find a way to hide that wire!

I can't stop looking at your latest FTS. This is my dream tank. I love my PicO but this is another level of awesomeness. I have lots of research to do now to figure out filtration for this tank, but you have inspired me to get this for my second tank.

I think this is it for now. Not going to add any more corals until making sure these are doing fine. I am now also need to do a lot of water change to make sure water is in the right condition. I will be interested to know how you want to do filtration too.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to do this but with a built in fuge (White wall instead of black) different lighting, something cheap, and simple corals

Thank you Daletu, thank you

• Like 1

Lolol, I'm already getting ada 60f for my 2nd tank. But I'm going with black sand, no sump and filtration. Just a mp10 with 70% weekly water changes. And using buildmyled custom fixture for that sleek look. Also scolys only lol.

Like this. That is a buildmyled fixture.

10374528756_0befe5cc7e.jpg

Example by iscolymia, on Flickr

• Like 3

No fitration? That's hardcode. Ok, I am going to wait and watch how you guys do it first =P. But when I get it, I am getting another Nanobox for sure =P. I think Dave said the Duobox can handle 24 across.

You would have to hang it high for such a coverage. How long is the duobox fixture anyways?

Yupp, no filtration, my current tank actually is close to no filtration. I have an eheim 2213 running but I don't clean the filters....so it's there practically for the water flow lol. I do 70% water changes on my tank weekly though so it works great. I stop by at the lfs every week to get new saltwater, so that's like $3 for 6g a week not including $5 gas money (round trip). Lol

No filtration is easy, little tank, WC's, lots of flow, smaller bioload, LR and LS with lots of bacteria, close enough lol

I'm not going to use live rocks either. I'm going rockless for the 2nd build. Just the black sand bed and the tiny flat rocks that come with the attached scolys.

• Like 2

I don't like it either. Gotta find a way to hide that wire!

I think this is it for now. Not going to add any more corals until making sure these are doing fine. I am now also need to do a lot of water change to make sure water is in the right condition. I will be interested to know how you want to do filtration too.

Yeah. I think there is a way to hide it. I've seen people use those plastic wire hiders that you're suppose to attach it to the wall. You will need a white one since your wall is white lol.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to do this but with a built in fuge (White wall instead of black) different lighting, something cheap, and simple corals

Thank you Daletu, thank you

Why simple corals? Why not SPS?

No filtration is easy, little tank, WC's, lots of flow, smaller bioload, LR and LS with lots of bacteria, close enough lol

Crossed fingers! That's what I hope. If WC doesn't work out well. I may consider doing a sump too.

• Like 2

Why simple corals? Why not SPS?

Crossed fingers! That's what I hope. If WC doesn't work out well. I may consider doing a sump too.

He's a 13 yr old kid with a low budget. Right 1.0? :)

• Like 2

No fitration? That's hardcode. Ok, I am going to wait and watch how you guys do it first =P. But when I get it, I am getting another Nanobox for sure =P. I think Dave said the Duobox can handle 24 across.

I saw someone mention Nanobox earlier! I've also looked at their website but why? What's the advantage of Nanobox over for example the Hydra I am using right now?

• Like 1

Are you going to drill this ada for the sump? Or you can go with a mame overflow...but it's a pia to clean it...lol. I already have algae growing on my poppy pipes...this is why I plan to go mp10 and no filtration. Very simple.

I saw someone mention Nanobox earlier! I've also looked at their website but why? What's the advantage of Nanobox over for example the Hydra I am using right now?

Well, ai lighting has more control-ability. I think Nanobox is hand-made, full spectrum and considered custom lighting, people buy it because of aesthetic looks.

• Like 1

Are you going to drill this ada for the sump? Or you can go with a mame overflow...but it's a pia to clean it...lol. I already have algae growing on my poppy pipes...this is why I plan to go mp10 and no filtration. Very simple.

Well, ai lighting has more control-ability. I think Nanobox is hand-made, full spectrum and considered custom lighting, people buy it because of aesthetic looks.

I was thinking using Lily Pipe like yours... maybe a pair of those pipes? Switch out each week, so another one can be soaked in bleach. That's what I am doing with my planted tank now.

• Like 1

awesome tank

red planet does good under the hydra

although mine turned more green

You have the hydra as well?? Dude, you need to start a thread. I remember you said you have an ada running....

• Like 3

awesome tank

red planet does good under the hydra

although mine turned more green

What color spectrum produce more red color in coral? Maybe I should tune that color up a little now.

• Like 1

I was thinking using Lily Pipe like yours... maybe a pair of those pipes? Switch out each week, so another one can be soaked in bleach. That's what I am doing with my planted tank now.

Oh, yeah you can do that. But I don't know, I mean I feel like it's still a hassle. Lol. Mp10 and 70% weekly water changes, then done. Lol. No more scrubbing pipes and lifting it to scrub the tank glass beside its spot...

• Like 1

They are both great, full spectrum LEDs. Nanobox uses different brand of LEDs though. AI has better controls.

• Like 2

What color spectrum produce more red color in coral? Maybe I should tune that color spectrum up a little now.

cyan, blue, royal blue, and violet help with red.

• Like 3

Oh, yeah you can do that. But I don't know, I mean I feel like it's still a hassle. Lol. Mp10 and 70% weekly water changes, then done. Lol. No more scrubbing pipes and lifting it to scrub the tank glass beside its spot...

I hope I don't need a sump either. If I can't maintain low nitrate, then probably will get rid of clowns before building a sump.

• Like 1

cyan, blue, royal blue, and violet help with red.

Crap really? Because I just ordered a custom Buildmyled fixture with a led combination of 2 warm whites, 2 ultra violets, 4 royal blues, 6 blues, and 1 red... I could of added a cyan or two to replace 2 of the either blues....Lol.

I hope I don't need a sump either. If I can't maintain low nitrate, then probably will get rid of clowns before building a sump.

Yeah clowns eat alot man. And drilling is what scares me...lol.

But you're a sps guy so it may be worth it if you can find a pro to drill your tank, etc. Or for the simplest alternative, go with a mame in tank skimmer. No sump needed.

• Like 2