Pod Your Reef

DT's ADA 60F Shallow Reef

daletu

Haha... not too bad. I got sexy shrimp for $12/shrimp this time. Don't know the Yasha price yet but I know it's not going to be cheap.

The dosing pump I ordered on eBay is very affordable and seems to be a good product based on the reviews I have read online.

• Like 1

Can you guys recommend just one LPS or Soft Coral for my tank? I would like to have some nice movement in my tank to have a little bit of soft feel, not just stone cold SPS. The location I have in mind is pointed out in the image below. It is high flow area (but not directly in front of pump) and medium light. I would like something colorful but not too close to the stone/purple color. Any recommendation?

post-82095-0-07866500-1385353396_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

How fast do they spread?

Lol not fast....it grows pretty steady imo.

be careful of flow...most LPS do not like high direct flow. Hammer/Torch/Frogspawn dont really "spread". They grow new heads. I have read 1 head can turn into 10 in one year. My 1 head frogspawn is splitting right now after 1 month.

Lol but I don't think this applies to gold torch or hammer....gold torch or hammer is more pricey and slow growing.

• Like 1

be careful of flow...most LPS do not like high direct flow. Hammer/Torch/Frogspawn dont really "spread". They grow new heads. I have read 1 head can turn into 10 in one year. My 1 head frogspawn is splitting right now after 1 month.

Lol not fast....it grows pretty steady imo.

Lol but I don't think this applies to gold torch or hammer....gold torch or hammer is more pricey and slow growing.

I see. That area should be fine, not in direct flow. I don't like anything that will spread to other part of tank or grow on adjacent rocks and hard to remove. Hammer/torch/frogspawn might be good candidate as long as it's easy to frag if it grows too big and have to many heads. How about there tentacles? I have montipora on the other side of the rock, will they reach there and sting the montipora?

What are you going to do with the sps corals at the back left bottom?

I am not sure yet. I was thinking to get another anemone with long tentacles that my clowns will be able to host in it but I am worry that it may move too close to my SPS. Also, most anemone grow so big besides rock flower but clowns don't host in rock flower. Any suggestion?

• Like 1

It should be fine as long as you keep an eye on the torch/hammer's expansion. I think their feeding tentacles at night is about the same length as their expansion during daytime so as long as both corals don't touch/rub each other, it should be fine.

You need a gold colored torch or hammer though...I think you already have enough green in the tank. :)

Well, clowns might be able to host gold torches or hammers. Some people have had success with their clowns hosting frogspawns, hammers and torches.

• Like 1

It should be fine as long as you keep an eye on the torch/hammer's expansion. I think their feeding tentacles at night is about the same length as their expansion during daytime so as long as both corals don't touch/rub each other, it should be fine.

You need a gold colored torch or hammer though...I think you already have enough green in the tank. :)

Well, clowns might be able to host gold torches or hammers. Some people have had success with their clowns hosting frogspawns, hammers and torches.

Yes. I don't want any green or red. Gold or bright yellow will be nice! I will take look at gold torches or hammers.

• Like 1

Yes. I don't want any green or red. Gold or bright yellow will be nice! I will take look at gold torches or hammers.

Yellow is even more expensive....ahah. I think gold torch/hammer will do. :)

And yes, they're easy to frag once there are multiple heads grown. Some people even use their hands to break the branch off. lol

• Like 1

Hmmm gold torch? Or gold hammer coral. Just buy 1-2 heads, is all you need.

What are you going to do with the sps corals at the back left bottom?

DUde, I was thinking gold torch too!!! Great minds :)

• Like 2

Yeah gold torches are pretty to glance at. :)

Green frogspawn, torches or hammers aren't so....unless they're super bright neon toxic green(more pricey..and more glowing)....

• Like 2

Yeah gold torches are pretty to glance at. :)

Green frogspawn, torches or hammers aren't so....unless they're super bright neon toxic green(more pricey..and more glowing)....

Alright! Gold Torch may be it! Any place sells it? I did a quick search, looks like most places sell only green.

• Like 2

Alright! Gold Torch may be it! Any place sells it, I did a quick search, looks like most places sell only green.

Lol yeah they're usually the dull green looking too. If you can find a toxic neon green, that would be sickk.

• Like 2

Lol yeah they're usually the dull green looking too. If you can find a toxic neon green, that would be sickk.

I have both a toxic green and gold in my 40, there amazing! Good luck finding one dude, either of those colors make great additions to reef tanks.

• Like 2

I have both a toxic green and gold in my 40, there amazing! Good luck finding one dude, either of those colors make great additions to reef tanks.

How much do they usually cost? Just want to have an idea so if I see one I know if I should pull the trigger or not.

• Like 1

How much do they usually cost? Just want to have an idea so if I see one I know if I should pull the trigger or not.

Hmmm well for online purchase I would say 1 head of gold torch/hammer is about $30-40 + shipping. So if you see one at $25, then you should probably pull the trigger ahha. Over here in Cali, I can get it $20 per head. ;)

• Like 1

Hmmm well for online purchase I would say 1 head of gold torch/hammer is about $30-40 + shipping. So if you see one at $25, then you should probably pull the trigger ahha. Over here in Cali, I can get it $20 per head. ;)

Got it! Most I find right now is about $60+shipping. I guess they are too expensive then.

• Like 1

Got it! Most I find right now is about $60+shipping. I guess they are too expensive then.

Yeah...that's pretty over priced....Best place to check everyday is ebay!! I've seen gold torches per head at $25 over there before.

• Like 1

I got my 2 head gold hammer for 75$ and my one head neon green for 45$ from a local vendor.

Cool! Thanks! So for one head it should be about $30-40 like Illuiix said. I will keep looking! :D

• Like 2

I got my 2 head gold hammer for 75$ and my one head neon green for 45$ from a local vendor.

Yeah...that's pretty over priced....Best place to check everyday is ebay!! I've seen gold torches per head at $25 over there before.

Is this neon torch? It says electric torch on the website.

post-82095-0-30846200-1385357904_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1