SaltCritters.com

DT's ADA 60F Shallow Reef

daletu

Prolly a cat eye morph, I got mine called Pink Angels, like Cat Eye zoas (Yours are Cat Eye Palys I think) but purpler.

I actually posted this in the ID forum and most people believe this indeed is what the website stated... which is Pink Panthers Zoas. It looks different from what I thought zoas should look like because this has longer tentacles and bases, so I was confused as well.

• Like 1

Haha... not familiar with Herp but as for just Crystal Shrimps, there are many different breeders worldwide. The most popular ones are from Japan, Taiwan and German. There are also worldwide competitions about Crystal Shrimps. Crystal Shrimps has many different categories... black, red, sonw white, golden... etc and grades of A, S, SS, SSS, PRL...etc, also different patterns like crown, flower, mosura, no-entry, hinomaru, v-band... etc. Kind of complicated... :D A truly high grade one with best colors and patterns can go up to thousands of dollars. omgomgomg

Yep, just like herps. Those guys take their breeding very seriously and end up with some really neat color morphs. Kinda like designer clowns. It's cool that people get so into that stuff :happy:

• Like 1

I actually posted this in the ID forum and most people believe this indeed is what the website stated... which is Pink Panthers Zoas. It looks different from what I thought zoas should look like because this has longer tentacles and bases, so I was confused as well.

It's definitely palys....not zoas.....zoas are smaller..

• Like 2

It's definitely palys....not zoas.....zoas are smaller..

Size is not an appropriate way to determine Palythoa from Zoanthid. It can be a little deceiving. This article at Salty Underground is one of the best I've seen for telling them all apart.

Keep in mind, though, unless you are a marine biologist and have some expensive equipment we're all just making a best guess. Determining Palys and Zoas apart without examining cells under microscope is very difficult.

• Like 3

Size is not an appropriate way to determine Palythoa from Zoanthid. It can be a little deceiving. This article at Salty Underground is one of the best I've seen for telling them all apart.

Keep in mind, though, unless you are a marine biologist and have some expensive equipment we're all just making a best guess. Determining Palys and Zoas apart without examining cells under microscope is very difficult.

Thanks for the link! :)

Have you decided to get a Hydra or you change your mind? Maybe you should wait for the Hydra 52.

First time seeing this tank. This is how a ADA setup should be... clean and inspiring. Will be tagging along from now on!

Thanks for the kind words! :)

• Like 1

Very true, most people notive that palys will eat larger foods and have sand/similar sediment on their stalks and mats :)

• Like 2

Tested Alkalinity and Calcium today and found out that I did not even dose enough alk and cal for the past three days!

Three days ago...

Alkalinity 8 dKH

Calcium 402 ppm

and I've been dosing 4ml/day for both calcium and alkalinity, which should raise 1.2 dKH ALK and 4 ppm CAL per day.

Today's test results

Alkalinity 5.8

Calcium 364

Based on calculation... it means my tank consume 2 dKH alkalinity and 17 ppm calcium per day, which is insane?!?! Is this even possible?

If my tank really consume 2 dKH alkalinity per day, then the alk swing might be too much for coral to handle. Should I invest on a dosing pump? Or 2 dKH per day swing is ok? If I should buy a dosing pump, which one would you recommend?

I used thrive dosing and my tank used:

12 ML Calcium Daily

2.5 ML Alk Daily
.5 ML Bio Fuel (similar to BP's)
This was when I had a good number of large LPS colonies and a few growing SPS frags, I think in your tank you probably have more SPS than me though, I'm not too good with the dosing numbers but those amounts kept me where "thrive" recommended my tank to be at.
  • Like 1

I used thrive dosing and my tank used:

12 ML Calcium Daily

2.5 ML Alk Daily
.5 ML Bio Fuel (similar to BP's)
This was when I had a good number of large LPS colonies and a few growing SPS frags, I think in your tank you probably have more SPS than me though, I'm not too good with the dosing numbers but those amounts kept me where "thrive" recommended my tank to be at.

I see, so my numbers are possible then. Sounds like I should start dosing more and test again 3 days later to see how it goes. Thanks! :)

ouch...this reminded me I need to test too. Last I tested, i was at 450 for calcium and 8.4 for alk. Which test kit are you using again? I am using Red Sea Foundation Pro.

I use Hanna Checkers for both alk and cal.

Very true, most people notive that palys will eat larger foods and have sand/similar sediment on their stalks and mats :)

Yea, I forgot about that. Paly's and Protopaly's will generally pull up substrate into their stalks and mats to make them stronger. Good point!

Have you decided to get a Hydra or you change your mind? Maybe you should wait for the Hydra 52.

I've decided to keep my lights a little longer and spend money on things I don't already have, like a skimmer and more coral :D ! When I do upgrade my lights though I'll probably get the Hydra or 52.

• Like 1

Yea, I forgot about that. Paly's and Protopaly's will generally pull up substrate into their stalks and mats to make them stronger. Good point!

I've decided to keep my lights a little longer and spend money on things I don't already have, like a skimmer and more coral :D ! When I do upgrade my lights though I'll probably get the Hydra or 52.

More coral sounds good! Haha... :D

Hydra 52 will be great! I will probably upgrade to 52 when the upgrade kit comes out.

Do you have any closer up pics of your tunze ato and how you have the water line going to the tank?

Sure. I will take pictures when I get home later tonight.

I read through the article and took a close look at the coral... and I think it is Zoanthus. The mouth seems to be round, and I don't see sediment in the tissue. :)

• Like 1

Since this thread is filled with ADA junkies, figure I'd post this question here. Any one used or know how big the SOFTENIZER-300 is and if it is watertight for use outside of the aquarium? Thinking it would be a nice looking substitute to the tlf reactors for the baller setups.

Also, consider pompom crabs and the other cleaner shirmps. Lots of colors. Thats what I had in my nano tank in taiwan, just random different shrimps.

• Like 1

Since this thread is filled with ADA junkies, figure I'd post this question here. Any one used or know how big the SOFTENIZER-300 is and if it is watertight for use outside of the aquarium? Thinking it would be a nice looking substitute to the tlf reactors for the baller setups.

Also, consider pompom crabs and the other cleaner shirmps. Lots of colors. Thats what I had in my nano tank in taiwan, just random different shrimps.

It is pretty big, I've seen it in person. It is just a little less than half length of my tank and my tank is 60cm, so it would be about 20 inches from top to bottom.

It should be water or air tight, otherwise, it won't have enough pressure to push the air out. That's just my guess though.