SaltCritters.com

DT's ADA 60F Shallow Reef

daletu

Picky eater finally started eating frozen mysis shrimps! Anemone crab got a piece too. :D

Ahhh; excellent news. B) As far as him hiding away, give it time, I'm sure it'll be out and about when it's ready. :)

• Like 2

Treatment

The best way of controlling flatworms is by prevention. Maintaining low nutrient levels in the aquarium with the use of carbon and aggressive protein skimming, along with increased water flow will help to reduce the populations of these pests. Proper quarantine of new specimens, and all aquatic life before they are placed in the display aquarium will keep the initial introduction of flatworms to a minimum.a_et_parasites_nudi.jpg

• Natural means of control include: Wrasse of the genus Pseudocheilinus, such as theSix Line Wrasse (P. hexataenia), Halichoeres Wrasse, such as Yellow Wrasse (H. chrysus), Macropharyngodon Wrasse such as the numerous Leopard Wrasse(Macropharyngodon sp.), and Dragonets such as the Spotted Mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus). The Blue Velvet Nudibranch (Chelidonura varians) is very effective at consuming flatworms in the aquarium, but is very sensitive to changes in water chemistry and has a short life expectancy in the home aquarium.
  • Although the species mentioned above will consume flatworms, they may not feed on all of the different species that inhabit the aquarium, nor will they typically rid the aquarium completely. Also be sure that your aquarium is appropriate for the fish, as some of the species do have special requirements and increased care levels in the home aquarium.
  • Another method of removing flatworms from an infected colony is by performing a brief freshwater bath or dip. Flatworms are very sensitive to salinity changes; by dipping the colony in dechlorinated freshwater for 5 to 10 seconds and then shaking the colony while submerged in the bath of freshwater, will cause the worms to lose their grip and fall to the bottom of the container. Be sure the freshwater has the same temperature and pH as the aquarium's water in order to reduce the amount of stress on the colony.
  • The last method involves manual removal. Siphoning seems to work the best, as the flatworms do not keep a very strong grip on the colony. A small diameter airline tubing works very well for soft leather coral colonies and some species of mushrooms. Be careful not to damage the coral with too strong of a siphon. For the more delicate mushrooms and LPS corals, small syringes work very well. It is possible to get the syringe very close to the flatworm and gently draw the worm into the syringe without harming the coral.

With severe infestations, you may have to employ a combination of all methods mentioned above in order to eliminate or even control the populations of these pests.

Thanks for the article Kauai! I think I have limited my option to Six Line Wrasse or Spotted Mandarin now. Do you guys know which one is easier to train to take frozen food?

• Like 1

I believe the wrasse will be the easier of the two to maintain, unless the mandarin has been trained to eat properly - but the wrasse has a tendency to be aggressive (from what I've read).

• Like 1

Ahhh; excellent news. B) As far as him hiding away, give it time, I'm sure it'll be out and about when it's ready. :)

Thanks! I am still trying to train it to get used to me standing in front of the tank. I think it is getting better now. :)

Thanks for the article Kauai! I think I have limited my option to Six Line Wrasse or Spotted Mandarin now. Do you guys know which one is easier to train to take frozen food?

can't speak from much experience on my end... but I would just consider which you'd like to look at the most, and what'd be worth the trouble for you. kind of like your yasha or dracula goby you wanna get.. you're gonna get it eventually, some how or some way. I get the point of taking care of your flat-worm problem... but might as well enjoy what you have in there at the same time too.

so do what feels right man. don't stress too much about it. hope you can enjoy it all in all. :happy:

• Like 1

I believe the wrasse will be the easier of the two to maintain, unless the mandarin has been trained to eat properly - but the wrasse has a tendency to be aggressive (from what I've read).

It says semi-aggressive on liveaquaria website, which is the same as my other two fish. I think they may be fine together.

It says semi-aggressive on liveaquaria website, which is the same as my other two fishes. I think they may be fine together.

Yah, I have no experience with them, I think you should go for it. :) My only concern is that you have two rather shy fish at the moment, hopefully the sixline isn't a dick to them.

• Like 1

can't speak from much experience on my end... but I would just consider which you'd like to look at the most, and what'd be worth the trouble for you. kind of like your yasha or dracula goby you wanna get.. you're gonna get it eventually, some how or some way. I get the point of taking care of your flat-worm problem... but might as well enjoy what you have in there at the same time too.

so do what feels right man. don't stress too much about it. hope you can enjoy it all in all. :happy:

Thanks again Kauai. I think you are right about me getting a goby. Hahaha... eventually I will probably get one.

I think I like six-line a bit more because they spend more time out but both are good though, both are beautiful fish. :)

Yah, I have no experience with them, I think you should go for it. :) My only concern is that you have two rather shy fish at the moment, hopefully the sixline isn't a dick to them.

I will probably wait till these two fish are comfortable with my tank first then introduce another fish if it's a sixline. :) If it's a spotted mandarin, it might be ok to just add it right now. I will see what's available in my LFS and talk to my friend who has two spotted mandarin then decide what to get. ;)

• Like 1

Kauai, how long have you lived in Hawaii? Me and my fiancé have only been to Hawaii twice and only two islands but we have already fallen in love with it. We even thought about moving there! Haha... but we plan to go again next year for sure. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place. :D

• Like 1

It says semi-aggressive on liveaquaria website, which is the same as my other two fish. I think they may be fine together.

I know the spotted mandarin is chill no one will mess with it because it has some sort of venom or slime that is poisonous. and he won't mess with anyone either kinda just hovers around lol. At night mine hits the sand bed and covers himself with sand and sits and waits lol

• Like 2

Kauai, how long have you lived in Hawaii? Me and my fiancé have only been to Hawaii twice and only two islands but we have already fallen in love with it. We even thought about moving there! Haha... but we plan to go again next year for sure. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place. :D

I was born and raised here mate. What islands did you get to visit? Put Kauai on your list sometime and look me up if you ever do, we've got some cool places to check out. A bit slower and country though. Moving here would lose the magic for you . Wait til you retire and you have nothing else planned lol. The cost of living,

A mortgage for a nice home in the mainland is a lot cheaper than a house here. It's a trade off though. Definitely fortunate. I couldn't live in the mainland for too long... The Tank and coral allowances would be a nice perk though.

• Like 1

I've really enjoyed looking at your photos and getting caught up on your build. I love the open scape and the background that the wall creates behind the tank. Well done.

• Like 2

After talking to my friend and LFS, I have decided on a Spotted Mandarin. My friend is willing to give me her cultured pods if my tank is running low on them and LFS also recommended that I get the Spotted Mandarine because Six Line Wrasse tend to be very agressive toward other fish especially in a small tank or when they grow bigger. LFS is also offered me to take the fish back if my pods and flatworms problem solved. :)

So... here it is! It's a male and has already having a big feast in my tank! He is a little skinny so LFS is also very happy that I decided to take him home. :) (sorry for the rolling shutter that causes the horizontal banding)

Hawaii is great! I was born and raised there. I still order the Hawaiian sun juices as there so freaking good.

I miss the breath of salty air and ocean the most! And lots of great Japanese food as well!

I know the spotted mandarin is chill no one will mess with it because it has some sort of venom or slime that is poisonous. and he won't mess with anyone either kinda just hovers around lol. At night mine hits the sand bed and covers himself with sand and sits and waits lol

I've decided to get spotted mandarin! Very cool fish, not as shy as I think. It's swimming around my tank eating right away! :D

Very nice setup. I skimmed thru and couldn't find if it said, are you using a heater? If not what temp does it run?

Thank you! Yes. I have heater behind the right side rock. My tank temperature is between 25-26 degree C (~77-79 degree F)

I vote for a spotted mandarin just because it's so much prettier than a six-line lol. And it eats flatworms?!?! That's a freaking greatass advantage lol.

Yep! Spotted mandarin is the final decision! :)

• Like 6

I was born and raised here mate. What islands did you get to visit? Put Kauai on your list sometime and look me up if you ever do, we've got some cool places to check out. A bit slower and country though. Moving here would lose the magic for you . Wait til you retire and you have nothing else planned lol. The cost of living, A mortgage for a nice home in the mainland is a lot cheaper than a house here. It's a trade off though. Definitely fortunate. I couldn't live in the mainland for too long... The Tank and coral allowances would be a nice perk though.

We have been to Big Island and Oahu Island. We are planning to go Oahu and Maui this coming Summer but we will see if we can have a side trip to Kauai! :D

Haha... living in Seattle is like retiring, raining most of time and people are very laid back here as well. I've lived here almost 17 years now, kind of sick of the weather already. Haha

I've really enjoyed looking at your photos and getting caught up on your build. I love the open scape and the background that the wall creates behind the tank. Well done.

Thank you very much! :)

You need to fix that screen! ;) Smexy fish though.

There is no way to fix it unless getting another camera or change to another light. :(

• Like 1

awesome fish man. best of luck.

I hear a lot of good things about seattle, believe it or not. and it looks like you've already planned to make a nice dent in visiting majority of the islands already!

• Like 2

Bra! Plate lunches we it

Oh yea! That's super delicious! I thought it's for tourist but for you local people also think its good? What do you guys eat most of time? I bet its probably very different than most of tourist attraction restaurants.

• Like 1