inTank Media Baskets

DT's ADA 60F Shallow Reef

daletu

Wow, really nice planted tank. Very clean little nano tank, too!

You've read lots of different advise on all the things you supposedly 'need' to make this nano tank work, but the reality is you can have great long-term success keeping it a simple, natural system...or going more complex with a sump, skimmer, etc.

'Different approaches for different folkses' :)

• Like 2

Tank looks fantastic, I really like your SPS pieces. Everytime I see this tank it makes me want to buy that upgrade kit for my AI Sol to convert it to a Hydra! If you don't mind me asking, would you be able to shed some light on your lighting schedule? I apologise if this has been asked before.

• Like 2
Wow, really nice planted tank. Very clean little nano tank, too!

You've read lots of different advise on all the things you supposedly 'need' to make this nano tank work, but the reality is you can have great long-term success keeping it a simple, natural system...or going more complex with a sump, skimmer, etc.

'Different approaches for different folkses' :)

Thanks!

My plan is to keep it simple but I'm not against adding sump or skimmer either. Only time will tell I guess. I'll keep routine maintenance and hope for the best! :)

• Like 1
Tank looks fantastic, I really like your SPS pieces. Everytime I see this tank it makes me want to buy that upgrade kit for my AI Sol to convert it to a Hydra! If you don't mind me asking, would you be able to shed some light on your lighting schedule? I apologise if this has been asked before.

Thanks! No problem.

I am currently running the light as below...

Sunrise 12pm

Sunset 11pm

Ramp Time 2 hours

Day Time:

White 35%

Violet 60%

Red 10%

Green 30%

DBlue 62%

Royal 64%

UV 42%

Night Time:

Violet 6%

DBlue 6%

UV 6%

Lunar & Weather both ON

I'm using controller now, my director will arrive tomorrow,. I'll have different settings ones I receive my director. My goal is to adjust each color light in different ramp time to mimic the color through out the day in natural.

• Like 3

Thank you for the information. Your blues and whites are very similar to what my Sol is currently. My tank is deeper then your though so I think I'll continue ramping up the levels slightly each week until I get things right. Some of my SPS pieces have browned out since adding them and I have a feeling it is due to not enough light. I'll be able to confirm this sometime this week when my new Red Sea test kits arrive. Thanks again :).

• Like 1

Yea. I think you need to ramp it up higher. I have contacted AI before, I told them my tank is mostly SPS. They said my setting is a good start, and also told me that I may need to ramp it higher but do it slowly, about 5% every couple months. Which means even with my shallow tank, they recommend higher settings.

Also, forgot to tell you that I mount my light about 11" above water level.

• Like 1

Yea. I think you need to ramp it up higher. I have contacted AI before, I told them my tank is mostly SPS. They said my setting is a good start, and also told me that I may need to ramp it higher but do it slowly, about 5% every couple months. Which means even with my shallow tank, they recommend higher settings.

Also, forgot to tell you that I mount my light about 11" above water level.

I will definitely continue ramping up then. I have found that bumping up the intencity 2-3% weekly doesn't cause undue stress to my corals. All my LPS and softies are flourishing, the SPS are struggling a bitand this may be the cause. I think my light is mounted roughly 10" from the water line, my tank is only 20" wide and I want to cut down on light spill.

• Like 1

Your tank looks amazing, can't wait to see that SPS take off. I'm kinda jealous of the light I need a new fixture ASAP and the Hydra is at the top of my list. Keep it up. Following along.

• Like 2
Your tank looks amazing, can't wait to see that SPS take off. I'm kinda jealous of the light I need a new fixture ASAP and the Hydra is at the top of my list. Keep it up. Following along.

Thank you JayPagi. I like your tank too! Your tank is one of the tanks that inspired me to go with shallow tank! :)

• Like 1

Thanks! My plan is to keep it simple but I'm not against adding sump or skimmer either. Only time will tell I guess. I'll keep routine maintenance and hope for the best! :)

I'm hoping for you because the way this tank looks now is perfection

• Like 3

I'm hoping for you because the way this tank looks now is perfection

Thanks! :)

Which sand did you go with for this build?

CaribSea Arig-Alive Sand Fiji Pink.

• Like 1

AI Director arrived yesterday but don't have time to play the settings yet. I'll share my light settings once I figure out how to use this thing. :) I will love to know how other people set their lighting schedule as well.

post-82095-0-98717600-1384284264_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I keep the white way down like 1/4 or 1/3 ratio to blue

or else your sps will look like poo

LOL! :D

I actually had it set at 20% before but AI suggested to raise it up to about 35%, not sure why. ;)

• Like 1