Coral Vue Hydros

What gph to set my microjet at?

spoondigity

I have a 10 gallon tank that is a FOWLR. I have a millenium 1000 on it and a Prizm skimmer both hanging off of the back of the tank and they tend to spill out toward the front on each side of the tank. I also have a Microjet MC450 which is placed in the lower rear of the tank blowing across the back behind my live rock. It can be set for 50 gph, 80 gph, and 120 gph. If I am going to go with two clowns and a cleaner shrimp, what gph should I set the Microjet at? I already have the cleaner in the tank and he likes to hang out in the back of the tank under an arch right where the Microjet is blowing across. Right now I have it set to 50 gph and I am considering increasing it. When I had done some tests with it before any life was in the tank, 120 gph seemed a bit much as it kept a big circular flow going in the tank, blowing everything in circles. At 80 it would still push thing across the back of the tank and out the other side, and at 50 it just kind of blows across the back. Am I obsessing or should I be worried about where it is set?

Thanks for your time,

Andy

I have a millenium 1000 on it and a Prizm skimmer both hanging off of the back of the tank and they tend to spill out toward the front on each side of the tank.

If you could redirect the flow from one of those, it would help. Got any photos of what the output end of the skimmer looks like?

Unfortunately I can't get a picture, but the Prizm is like an oversized HOB filter basically. It seems to really take care of water movement in the front middle to left side of the tank while the Millenium 1000 covers the right middle. There is pretty decent water flow all through the front. The only area I am really concerned about at this point is the lower back behind my live rock.

can you drop the millenium's intake into that area in the back with an extension? the negative pressure from the intake will draw the water currents there. i do the same thing with my emperor 400 in the deadest part of my display tank.

i would also suggest you try dosing your tank with a little b-ionic 2-part, the 1st part should show you the water currents exactly as they are being played out (look quick!). you can do this over a couple of days to learn all the various currents and eddys as you dose around the tank (anything that clouds is ok and good for the tank, think of a wind tunnel test).

once you figure out the dynamics you can adjust the direction, change location, or add PH's to achieve the flow dynamics you desire. good luck! ;)

can you drop the millenium's intake into that area in the back with an extension? ... i do the same thing with my emperor 400 in the deadest part of my display tank.

How the blank did you do that?? I have a couple of power filters I could use on this tank, but they'd need extensions like that and I have no idea how to set them up.

i wasn't sure if the millenium comes with an extension or not. the emperor comes with an extension and coupling.

i'm not sure what size the intake's diameter is but petwarehouse has a number of different tube sizes. you could get one and either a coupling or silicone it together. or you could go flexible hose and drop it wherever you want.

for spoondigity's tank he shouldn't need one due to the lower height, just a repositioning to get the desired water movement behind his LR.

Do you think the microjet I have behind the live rock will not do a sufficient job? Being set at 50gph right now, it seems to push current along the back. If I increase it to 80 it will push a good bit through there and actually spit stuff out the other side around the front. The 120 setting really makes a serious current and seems to high a setting. If the microjet isn't enough, then maybe I can look into directing the flow back off of the millenium.

imo the 50 gph setting's good. the whole tank is only 10g and you're directing 5x volume in that one area.

for the denitrating properties of the LR to really apply you need an anoxic mini-environment within the LR anyway. higher volume turnover would negate some of that.

i would still go with the millenium's reposition as one of the goals of directing the flow behind the rock is to eliminate detritus (i assume).

Archived