Pod Your Reef

DO NOT GET AN EHEIM JAGER HEATER

dtitus1

+1, I have 6 of the eheim jager heaters and they are all calibrated wrong. 4 of them were like this straight out of the box and and 2 seemed to happen over time.

Fortunately for me, I run a controller on my tanks so I have been ok. With that said I don't trust any companies heaters and will always use a controller.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's a heater? I've always used my home A/C to control my temperature for my tank. The Most reliable thing ever.

You must live in a low humidity climate! Lol. Everything feels sticky if you don't keep the a/c at 73 or below down here in Louisiana.

Did you contact Eheim? Or did you just run to the Internet? You will find that everything you want to find sucks on the Internet. People run here to bitch when they can't figure it out. This heater is able to be calibrated, unlike others. Did you see this in the instructions? It also is a top selling heater with very good quality.

Could you have a bad one? Sure but since you didn't contact Eheim for warranty there is no way to know.

You must live in a low humidity climate! Lol. Everything feels sticky if you don't keep the a/c at 73 or below down here in Louisiana.

Lol. I stay next door, in Mississippi, the most humid state ever. Well I have dehumidifiers and air purifiers in my home, so that's why I don't have a humidity issue indoors.

Did you contact Eheim? Or did you just run to the Internet? You will find that everything you want to find sucks on the Internet. People run here to bitch when they can't figure it out. This heater is able to be calibrated, unlike others. Did you see this in the instructions? It also is a top selling heater with very good quality.

Could you have a bad one? Sure but since you didn't contact Eheim for warranty there is no way to know.

They're over seas and the only contact infomation is in german so I don't think I'm gonna have much luck dude I did send them an email (I think?). And there were no "calibration instructions" in order to calibrate something there has to be a pattern for you to go off of. IF there was such instructions and/or warranty information it wasn't included in the package at all.

Also the water for the bucket test was just from my fridge, and the point was that when the heater is set low enough it doesn't even seem to work at all.

lol no marinedepot. I'm honestly wondering if maybe the other people complaining about this problem just never got instructions with theirs, I mean your first thought when you get a heater is to put it in the tank, dial it, and plug it in so if there isn't anything to tell you otherwise thats what you're going to do. I wonder though if the issue is that they're missing the little slips of paper or whatever. Also feel like you shouldn't have to calibrate it period though that seems kind of weird.... temperatures aren't relative thats kind of the whole point of using a temperature scale....

I think it's Eheim's way of acknowledging that putting a temperature-controlled heater inside the same glass tube as the thermometer controlling it is a recipe for failure.

It may also have to do with variability in the electrical supply, but I'm not an expert in electrical matters. I just know these heaters are used in countries with 220v, 110v, 50hz, 60hz, etc.

I'm not a fan of jager heaters either. I've had decent luck with finnex titaniums. 2 out of 3 work properly. One shocked the crap out of me when I put it in the tank.

^That's a fantastic track record. Two worked, one tried to kill you. :lol:

I think every aquarist, fresh, brackish or salt probably has a horror story about heaters.

^That's a fantastic track record. :lol:

I think every aquarist, fresh, brackish or salt probably has a horror story about heaters.

That's pretty much my point. All heaters for the most part suck, or will suck at some point.

They're over seas and the only contact infomation is in german so I don't think I'm gonna have much luck dude I did send them an email (I think?). And there were no "calibration instructions" in order to calibrate something there has to be a pattern for you to go off of. IF there was such instructions and/or warranty information it wasn't included in the package at all. Also the water for the bucket test was just from my fridge, and the point was that when the heater is set low enough it doesn't even seem to work at all.
They have USA biased support. I can post this for you tomorrow when I get to the office. If you contact their Germany office it will be forwarded to the North America support. The folded piece of paper included in the heater supplies calibration instructions.

Instructions are also available from their website

Or contact marine depot as they have direct contact info as a vendor.

They have USA biased support. I can post this for you tomorrow when I get to the office. If you contact their Germany office it will be forwarded to the North America support. The folded piece of paper included in the heater supplies calibration instructions.

Instructions are also available from their website

Or contact marine depot as they have direct contact info as a vendor.

What this guy said. I contacted Eheim regarding several different questions over the years and have received prompt and informative replies. I even inquired about one of my Jagers recently and they sent me comparison pictures on what problem I was having! I consider that pretty darn good customer service. B)

I know how to calibrate my heater. It's set as far as it can go and 73 degrees still gives you 80 degree water. Swing the calibration the other way and 73 gets you 85 degree water. A cheap plastic calibration wheel doesn't do any good if you can't calibrate it far enough to make up for their lousy quality control.

Is that how you would treat one of your customers if they ordered something from inTank? Simply berate them on the Internet like you do everyone else on the boards? Thanks for reminding me why I never order anything from your website.

I know how to calibrate my heater. It's set as far as it can go and 73 degrees still gives you 80 degree water. Swing the calibration the other way and 73 gets you 85 degree water. A cheap plastic calibration wheel doesn't do any good if you can't calibrate it far enough to make up for their lousy quality control

Get a controller dipshit jeez

Get a controller dipshit jeez

Which controller do you recommend I purchase to control the $30 heater I used to mix water for my water change? I'll ned to be able to mount it on the side of a standard 5 gallon bucket. Perhaps one of the controllers comes with a mounting bracket that is made for such a use?

Why do so many people on this board just enjoy flaming people instead of just actually being helpful and courteous?

sorry my stomach is acting up again, puts me in a bad mood

Apex/PKL/Reef angel and other reef controllers generally can

I've heard some good reviews from a few of them made by Finnex I believe

OP got a bum heater. Everyone has gotten at least one. It sucks that these companies can't make a perfect product every time, but until he hears back from Eheim, or not AFTER A REASONABLE PERIOD OF TIME, then feel free to bash them online.

The bashing isn't one way in here, so not sure why the complaints about it.

I know how to calibrate my heater. It's set as far as it can go and 73 degrees still gives you 80 degree water. Swing the calibration the other way and 73 gets you 85 degree water. A cheap plastic calibration wheel doesn't do any good if you can't calibrate it far enough to make up for their lousy quality control.

Is that how you would treat one of your customers if they ordered something from inTank? Simply berate them on the Internet like you do everyone else on the boards? Thanks for reminding me why I never order anything from your website.

I'm sorry. Is your name dititus1? No... so go #### yourself. I didn't make this heater and I am logically helping the guy even if he bought it from a competitor. Bitch all you want on the interweb but a company like Eheim has this amazing term called warranty and not contacting them for tech support, first right to cure and bitching on the Internet makes you, not dititus1 look like a fool. Because it sounds like he wants the support.

Shitty customer service serving #1

I know saying this hobby is expensive an can't be done cheap is cliche.....t :rolleyes: Look, the amount of time and heart we put into these tanks simply warents quality control on OUR end as well. You are paying 30.00 for something that can make or break your tank. Do you buy cheap as brakes and vital parts for you car? It just isn't safe. If I can interject my opinion, any serious ree fkeeper should put a controller at the TOP of his/her mandatory equipment list. A cheap ReefKeeper Lite can be had for a 150.00 all day on this forum and online. The control and fail safe of the temperature control alone is worth 150.00, as most of use have 10X that much in livestock that could boil in Saltwater soup. Cheaping out is sketchy in this hobby, period. There are no if,ands, or buts about it. Bottom line, trusting any piece of equipment is risky, especially a 30.00 toaster coil to heat your tank,lol! I ran a controller and still checked everything every time I walked by my tank. I was attempting to recreate the most stable environment in the world in a 75 gallon box. Basically, imagine a guy rolling up in a new Ferrari, and telling you how he just paid 60.00 for breakpads to save a few bucks.....commoooooon :huh:

Easy Steve, don't let the troll get yah worked up..... he ain't worth your time! :lol:

Archived