ReefCleaners.org

DO NOT GET AN EHEIM JAGER HEATER

dtitus1

Wow so just tried this thing out a few days ago and let me say how disappointed I am. First I set the dial to 79 degrees, actual tank temp 86 degrees. Then I lowered it to 75 AND THE TANK TEMP IS NOW 93 DEGREES!

Hope I didn't just fry my tank with this piece of garbage, just wanted to share my experience so you can avoid making the same mistake I did and get a heater that won't put your tank in jeopardy. I hope I caught it in time because everything just looks stressed it isn't dying quite yet.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah they suck I used one in a 55 barrel that I mix my water in and temps were always crazy. I got 4 Fluval E (1 for DT, 1 for sump since its winter now, 1 for mixing, 1 for topoff) and they are all at 76 degrees no problem. Nice lcd display screen and my apex's thermometer always matches what the Fluval displays.

Yeah I understand but right out of the box theres no way it should be this bad come on.

Good looks on the Fluval E kongor, I'll have to research that a bit more although I researched this and I thought it was supposed to be ok. Shows what I know.

Ugh finding a reliable heater is a nightmare. I may just have to go neotherm even though I don't want to drop that much on a heater it looks like it might be necessary.

Maybe you got a dud? Try getting a replacement wherever you bought it from... Mine stays +/- 2 deg consistently and they have great reviews

I wouldn't want to risk it again I'm actually seeing a ton of people complaining about the same issue so I'm guessing their quality control isn't that great which I would be ok with, except for the fact that this is literally the one piece of equipment that CANT go wrong.

Generally they are one of the best, I think you got a bad one man.

+1 on what Chad said

I've got two of them that are 9 years old and still work properly.

Older stuff is always better lol. I am seeing a ton of people complaining about this problem on the newer ones so I still stand by my statement 100% for people to stay away if you want something without a controller. There are a ton of people claiming to have this problem now that I'm looking it up, so dud it may very well be, there seems to be a ton of duds being shipped out which I feel is unacceptable and incredibly risky to buy one.

as an example here's the reviews on Marine Depot where I bought it sort by lowest first and theres like 20 people all saying the same thing

http://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_Jager_TruTemp_Fully_Submersible_UL_Approved_Heater_Glass_Tube_Aquarium_Heaters-Jager-EJ1111-FIHTGH-vi.html

everywhere I go I'm seeing similar numbers of these reviews which like I said makes me think their quality control isn't exactly on point.

I would just recommend anyone reading this who's thinking about them to not let anyone talk you into taking the risk like I did.

Ugh finding a reliable heater is a nightmare. I may just have to go neotherm even though I don't want to drop that much on a heater it looks like it might be necessary.
Neotherm is the best heater I have ever used. I just sold one in the classifieds pretty cheap. ;)
Maybe you got a dud? Try getting a replacement wherever you bought it from... Mine stays +/- 2 deg consistently and they have great reviews

I don't think I'd call +/- 2 degrees consistent.

I was talking to a member of our local reefing club a few days ago and he was raving about his, I said I only use mine for mixing water because it's not consistent enough for a tank. He said he had the same problem with the first three that he had and keeps a spare one because they go out every six to eight months. That's evidently his idea of a good heater.

Wow so just tried this thing out a few days ago and let me say how disappointed I am. First I set the dial to 79 degrees, actual tank temp 86 degrees. Then I lowered it to 75 AND THE TANK TEMP IS NOW 93 DEGREES!

Hope I didn't just fry my tank with this piece of garbage, just wanted to share my experience so you can avoid making the same mistake I did and get a heater that won't put your tank in jeopardy. I hope I caught it in time because everything just looks stressed it isn't dying quite yet.

Therebis a you tube video that shows you how to calibrate the heater.

Send it to me. :)

yeah they suck I used one in a 55 barrel that I mix my water in and temps were always crazy. I got 4 Fluval E (1 for DT, 1 for sump since its winter now, 1 for mixing, 1 for topoff) and they are all at 76 degrees no problem. Nice lcd display screen and my apex's thermometer always matches what the Fluval displays.
that's what I've been using for a while. Really reliable and pretty slim..

Therebis a you tube video that shows you how to calibrate the heater. Send it to me.

Lol I don't think calibrating it is an issue considering the complete unpredictability of it I would think calibrating it would require this to have at least some kind of semi-logical pattern to go by. This thing is all over the place.

As a control I put it in a bucket of water and set it to 65 and after three or so hours the temp is 34 so this thing just makes absolutely no damn sense.

Lol I don't think calibrating it is an issue considering the complete unpredictability of it I would think calibrating it would require this to have at least some kind of semi-logical pattern to go by. This thing is all over the place.As a control I put it in a bucket of water and set it to 65 and after three or so hours the temp is 34 so this thing just makes absolutely no damn sense.

:) send it to me

......funny thing I just found this thread. Mixing ro in 5gal on back porch. Dropped pump and eheim jagger in and went shopping. Temp was 68, set eheim at 79, almost 85. Can't turn the calibration ring that far. It was supposed to go in my 29 bc this winter. Thinking I'm dropping the $60 for the cobalt.

My Eheim Jager works perfectly, and better still connected to my Apex.

I went through 4 or 5 heaters on the way to this one, and they all sucked, and 90% of heaters can't be calibrated at all.

Where is the bucket? 34 degrees?

What this guy said! How did the temp decrease to that low... the ambient temp. in the room had to have been extremely low :blink:

Archived