Top Shelf Aquatics

VidaRock vs Dry Rock

TaterTot24

Thanks for your input. I have a dremel and a angle grinder at work, so I will see what I can do.

I am going to mess with it some more tomorrow at work and post up some more pictures. I have to work tomorrow because I did not get anything done today (flooded my office hooking up my RO/DI unit)...

• Like 1

Can you put the smaller one on top of the other???? that would be rather interesting.

I'd try stacking it too, Looks like you have extra space up top.

Hey, I will give it a try -- no idea how I will make it work, but you never know...

• Like 1

I wasn't going to post this because it looked terrible, but I just thought I would give you another angle on the piece on the left (only other pic I have)...

IMAG0534.jpg

• Like 1

So no matter what I do, I can only find 3 ways to arrange the rocks without completely destroying them (this includes stacking B) ).

So we have 3 options...

Option #1

Front View:

IMAG0533.jpg

Top Down View:

IMAG0535.jpg

Option #2

Front View:

IMAG0538.jpg

Top Down View:

IMAG0539.jpg

Option #3

Front View:

IMAG0540.jpg

Top Down View:

IMAG0541.jpg

Break off one of the branches. Use glue and putty to put it as a bridge. After a month, growth will cover over it and look natural.

Totally agree.

I've used vida rock on several tanks now and really like it. I did find that you need to order much smaller dimension pieces to allow for adequate space. It's something tough to visualize when you're setting up a tank without the rock right in front of you. Pretty much what you're running into right now.

Did you order from http://aqua-tecture.com/, or another source?

What I would do if you want to break it up is use a hacksaw or break off individual branches. If you change your mind, some epoxy, super glue gel, and about a 20 minute wait and you'll have it back together.

#2 is nice! My vidarock been in my tank for 4 months. I am undecided if I want to take it out and hack it up. The bonsai creates lots of shadows that I dont know what to do with. But you shouldn't have the same problem since your bonsai "leaves" are smaller with more gaps.

#3 but I keep the bottom part facing forward, you can cover it w/ rics or something, it'll be beautiful. I think you have much better flow around the tank this way and nothing is near touching the sides.

Break off one of the branches. Use glue and putty to put it as a bridge. After a month, growth will cover over it and look natural.

What exactly do you mean by "bridge"? I am having a hard time visualizing it.

Also #3

But put the lowest branch thingee facing the back, not the front left corner.

#3 but I keep the bottom part facing forward, you can cover it w/ rics or something, it'll be beautiful. I think you have much better flow around the tank this way and nothing is near touching the sides.

I will try to turn the bottom one around tomorrow and see how it looks -- I like the functionality of this setup, but not so much visually....

Thanks for the replies everyone! Keep them coming...

If you break up a branch, it becomes like a wedge. Now you have an extra piece you can put anywhere.

Not easy to see but here:

The left side is a wedge piece I used between a "Grotto" and a "Bonsai"

4WPKwC7.jpg

• 5 years later...