Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Aiptasia Infested Tank

disaster999

If no one else has posted it, aqueous sodium hydroxide, NaOH, will take care of aiptasia. You use just a tiny bit, take a syringe and squirt them and the crevice where their foot is. It's far better than the commercial aiptasia killers because its stronger and doesn't require the aim. I've used it in my tanks for years with no ill effects. With that many I would only kill a dozen or so a day with it just to be safe. If I remember right, it reacts with the salt water to create incredibly high temps where it first is squirted, then it's pretty much neutral. I've never had a aptasia come back or move after using this, they just disenigrate. Never any issues with water params or other critters dying. Of course, anything you squirt with it would die, so be careful of your coral.

In my opinion either concentrated kalk solution or boiling hot water will be the fastest solution, just shoot some in the mouth of each one, it will be a lot faster than shrimps or nudibranchs.

If no one else has posted it, aqueous sodium hydroxide, NaOH, will take care of aiptasia. You use just a tiny bit, take a syringe and squirt them and the crevice where their foot is. It's far better than the commercial aiptasia killers because its stronger and doesn't require the aim. I've used it in my tanks for years with no ill effects. With that many I would only kill a dozen or so a day with it just to be safe. If I remember right, it reacts with the salt water to create incredibly high temps where it first is squirted, then it's pretty much neutral. I've never had a aptasia come back or move after using this, they just disenigrate. Never any issues with water params or other critters dying. Of course, anything you squirt with it would die, so be careful of your coral.

this is interesting. I havent tried this before...if my peps arent eating the rest of the aips in my tank ill give this a try. right now only the giant aips are left in my tank. they might be too big for my shrimp to nom on.

In my opinion either concentrated kalk solution or boiling hot water will be the fastest solution, just shoot some in the mouth of each one, it will be a lot faster than shrimps or nudibranchs.

I tried that, they just seem to bounce back. Also, boiling water doesnt really work. The temps drops down too fast for it to do anything once it hits the aip...at least in my case.

Every peppermint shrimp eats aiptasia. I think they just don't like it much and only go for it if they are starving. Here's an article with the different peppermint shrimp species if you want to know what you got

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/umrsmas/bullmar/2006/00000079/00000001/art00009

thanks, that was a good read

Berghia nudibranches. Filefish. Peppermints. CBB. Aiptasia be gone!

I cant get the nudi here, i dont like filefish and it would be impossible to fish out, CBB can never stay alive for more than a week in my tank. Not sure if its how they were caught or just starve to death in my tank. They are too skittish

lol keeping them over a year lolzzzz you could get a CBB also dpending on tank size

CBB wont stay alive in my tank. =( Ive tried 4-5 times and they all end up dead

Partly I think its the way they are caught, partly because of eating issue.

I tried multiple methods:

1. putting the fish in a quarantine tank, with copper, feeding pellets - that didnt work

2. putting the fish inside a 5 gal bucket, slow drip acclimation, feeding with pellets - that didnt work

3. breeder box inside the tank, feeding frozen foods - that didnt work

4. releasing it into my tank after temp acclimation, feeding the tank normally with pellets and frozen food - that didnt work

5. releasing it into my sump with no other fish to scare it, feeding it rocks with aiptasia and pellets and frozen foods - that didnt work

did any of these eat at the LFS or were these online purchases?

didnt see any of them eat....im in hong kong so LFS practices here are different unfortunately

i gotcha i have no idea how it works there, although i plan to travel there to check out LFSs one day. that said will they feed specimens if you ask before purchase?

im sure they will if asked.

but since these are the "commom" low price range fish, they really wouldnt bother feeding them. the turn over rate is so high with them they usually are sold out within 2-3 days.

other "high end" fish they will keep it in proper tanks and fill feed occasionally.

• 1 month later...

so after 4 months or so, my display tank is finally free of aiptasia...cept for one, but its on the sand bed and its not bothering anyone.

Pretty pleased to see the 4 pep shrimp doing their job.

• 1 month later...
disaster999

I guess the peppermint shrimp is getting hungry, I see them in the open more and more lately. I have some frags in the sump that have these massive aiptasia growing on them, i took one out and out it in front of the peppermint shrimp and they instantly attacked it. Pretty satisfying to see them destroy the shit out of the aiptasia

Archived