Top Shelf Aquatics

Modders New 150 Gallon Reef

Modder man

Back in middle school I had a 75 gallon FOWLR, I loved that tank but at the time there was no way I could fit it into the budget and had to sell it. Fast forward 9 years and I decided it was time to get back into the hobby. I figured I would start small to keep the cost down. I bought a Mr aqua 11.4 gallon rimless to get started. I had fun and learned a lot, when I had this tank setup I was reading different forums all the time. Somehow I always ended up in the large reef sections just marveling at all of the amazing setups you guys have.

DSC_0231_zpsddd35abc.jpg

It was then I knew I wanted to make a change I wanted to go bigger. A whole 3 months after just dipping my feet into the water I wanted to build something bigger. I decided to build a chambered fish rack with a 100 gallon Rubbermaid underneath. The story is the same here that I learned a lot but this setup had some big downfalls that I was not a fan of. Because the rack was chambered I could not really keep any big fish. My total volume was 250 gallons but no chamber was over 40 gallons, no places for tangs or big angels. This setup badly needed more automation, for a period of 3 months this summer I was working over 70 hours a week. This took a huge toll on all of my corals, I did not dedicate any time to keep things in check and things slowly got away from me. Corals were bleaching out and dying and I didn't know what was going on. Tested "everything" and everything seemed to be in check. One day I randomly checked the salinity, 1.040!!! 14.gif Lesson learned the hard way, sometimes the simplest of things can get us. I hadn't really worried about it because top off was the one thing I was somewhat keepinh up with top off. Well...my math was off. The last big problem with this whole system was that there was no good way to service much of the equipment. The way I designed it there wasn't really and service access to the skimmer at all. Time for a new build out with that rack in with a new system 10.gif

photo2_zps4c4a7fdf.jpg

photo3_zps1ff8c240.jpg

photo4_zpsf36f47d5.jpg

Since I had to move the whole rack out to get a new 150 to even fit into the room I picked up this 75 gallon to hold all my livestock in the interim.

DSC_0363_zps95840259.jpg

With a new setup I wanted to gain floor space but keep the total volume very similar. I also needed the main display to be no longer than 5ft. I settled on a 150 I found locally needing a reseal for $200. The displays in this setup will consist of that 150 and 2 45 cubes that I have left over from my old rack. The total system volume should be ~300 gallons. The sketch below is a very rough drawing of how the system may be laid out.

Fishtanklayout_zpse9f342a6.png

Now that we have some background out the the way and actual build log can begin. First things first I had to get the 150 unloaded and on blocks to do a leak test. The store could not tell me where it was leaking from so I wanted to check before resealing the whole tank.

DSC_0336_zpsf6a5ad9c.jpg

DSC_0334_zps5dd05301.jpg

Found the leak!!! Unfortunately it was leaking in the bottom of the overflow :mad2:

DSC_0340_zpsd7683747.jpg

Time to drain the tank and let the real fun begin.

DSC_0344_zpsa358df73.jpg

After hours of scrapping and cutting I finally got the overflow to break loose. Oddly this overflow is glass with a plastic shell, I have never seen one quite like this.

DSC_0345_zps0b39b019.jpg

DSC_0346_zpsb5e1bcee.jpg

Now that the overflow is out time to remove the rest of the seams and get the tank all cleaned up.

DSC_0347_zps0930e563.jpg

All cleaned up! When the awesome employees at the LFS loaded the tank they broke a piece of the trim off. According to them it doesn't matter...they did not just pay for it. twak.gif It will be fixed...not by them, once its paid for I guess customers are on their own

DSC_0349_zps6488c45f.jpg

Overflows are often made with glass on the inside and shelled with plastic. It helps prevent warping.

This looks like a really cool system you are setting up.

Oh I guess I have only worked on smaller tanks, perhaps they just use glass on the bigger ones due to increased pressure.

Maybe. I'm not really sure TBH. I had a 60g cube that had glass on the inside of the overflow.

Sucks to hear about the trim breaking. Where did it break exactly and how much? All the trim really does it help make sure the tank is sitting as flush as possible. It doesn't add much to the structure.

I am not worried about it I will glue it back in, I was just frustrated that the store just acted like it didnt even matter...Whether I can fix it or not they did still break it. It is a section about 4 inches long you can see it in the last pic

• 3 weeks later...

Archived