Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

2.5 Gallon Alley Oop - Retired 1/10/2015

Roshan8768

Damn, I noticed that too. Maybe the LR hit the glass or something? Bummer.

Just saw what y'll are talking about. It is not a crack!! Just the plastic cording that petco used to hold their price tag on. The piece is sitting securely on the bottom, and not leaning on the back glass as evident from the side shot.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah what is that string in your pics?

nice rock but you may want to break it up into smaller pieces so you can scape better.

also alley oop is a great thread name haha!

I might break it up, but I kinda like the look. It will look better once I have the second smaller piece of live rock that I'm looking for in there.

its good to have larger and smaller pieces for dynamics in scape but i do think that one rock is too big :P

its taking up a lot of room that way that you could be using for coral placement. with more rocks you will have more surface area and more crevices to place coral frags!

its good to have larger and smaller pieces for dynamics in scape but i do think that one rock is too big :P

its taking up a lot of room that way that you could be using for coral placement. with more rocks you will have more surface area and more crevices to place coral frags!

True, but I'm not sure where I should start with breaking this piece. Don't want to chisel it apart and make it look like a rock that I cracked in half, that would look worse than what I have right now! Any ideas for where to crack it?

Also, it seems that it might take a while for me to source that HOB filter. In the mean time, I have a K1 that could be thrown in there. What do you guys think, is that a good temporary solution? I think it pushes 400 GPH

idk about 400 gph but you can try it. you dont want to splash water or make sandstorms.

also yes i do have an idea on where to crack the rock - just hit it with a hammer anywhere lmao. it will likely break randomly. give it a shot.

idk about 400 gph but you can try it. you dont want to splash water or make sandstorms.

also yes i do have an idea on where to crack the rock - just hit it with a hammer anywhere lmao. it will likely break randomly. give it a shot.

It'll be bare bottom while the power head is in there, so sandstorms won't be an issue.

I don't want to have it randomly crack into tiny pieces that I would have to epoxy together to get a usable structure. We'll see, maybe it'll look better once I have the additional piece in there.

i have always just struck rocks with a hammer and then pile the pieces one on top of another to make scapes. you're bound to get medium and small pieces of rock off of that one, i'd try smacking it.

So brought out the hammer and it got me this. Got what I was looking for in the smaller piece, but not really thrilled with the larger piece. Looks alright though, probably better than what I had before.

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/IMAG0363_zps5b2e688c.jpg.html'>IMAG0363_zps5b2e688c.jpg

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/IMAG0366_zps62a46403.jpg.html'>IMAG0366_zps62a46403.jpg

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/IMAG0367_zps173904d1.jpg.html'>IMAG0367_zps173904d1.jpg

I think it looks good the way you have it now. A single pillar in picos tends to make the tank look bigger and leave space to glue frags on it too. Another idea I got from someone else's thread was to hammer in some holes in the rock for the frag plugs

if you were to make a 3D scape in this tank that would also look cool. in that case place the bigger rom next to a tank wall and just make a slope like this:

I think it looks good the way you have it now. A single pillar in picos tends to make the tank look bigger and leave space to glue frags on it too. Another idea I got from someone else's thread was to hammer in some holes in the rock for the frag plugs

Thanks! I usually don't use the frag plugs, I just pull them off and glue to the rock work.

Looking good!

Yeah, nothing like that tank with rock and no flow just sitting there. Also have some diatoms starting up, will add some snails later this week.

Hopefully the cycle will be completed in the next 2 weeks. Plan to add some test frags first week of November. Might also do a small frag of candy canes or some other hardy LPS

try blastomussa merletti. my favorite LPS because its small enough for picos to look good. grows to impressive colonies like el fab had.

looks cool. banded trochus are super rare where i live. all i ever see are huge turbos and astreas snails.

Yeah, here too. Never seen them before, so I jumped on the deal. I will say that they are pretty fast compared to astreas and turbos, more on the level of nassarius, also, they have stuck largely to the bottom and side glass, havn't seen them on the rocks too much

try blastomussa merletti. my favorite LPS because its small enough for picos to look good. grows to impressive colonies like el fab had.

They are pretty awesome, but honestly, I'm not really prepared to have any coral in this tank that I don't already have in my larger, better established 40 breeder. If I buy a coral, I want to maximize my chances of it doing well and growing so that I can further propagate/grow out colonies. So..... once I pick up some blastos and acans for my 40 breeder and grow them out, this tank will house some frags!

so you will grow coral in your larger reef and then feed some frags to this pico?

That's the plan :D. Will only have softies to start with as mentioned before, as that is all I have a lot of right now.

if you were to make a 3D scape in this tank that would also look cool. in that case place the bigger rom next to a tank wall and just make a slope like this:

That is an epic 10 gallon! The problem is a 2.5 gallon is so much more skinnier that it would be significantly harder to achieve the same depth without making it look like there's too much. Would need a seriously awesome collection of nano sized rock to make it happen

psst: which is why you'd want to break up that big rock :P

Haha.. will keep it in mind. I personally feel that I need another piece of live rock in there before I try breaking up the pillar piece. We'll see!! Also plan on trying for a back wall completely covered with some nice long GSP

Cut a quarter of the big rock off with a hack saw, then you get a nice flat bottom :naughtydance:

You wont have to worry about it falling over then, not that was a worry of yours but still.

Oh then you have another piece of rock!

Archived