SaltCritters.com

Holy Crap! I got crabs!

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

Well one to be exact. Don't know where he came from or how long he's been in there as I haven't added anything new to my tank in quite a while. I seen him right out in the open during daylight hours. When he saw me he hhid underneath this rock. Any ideas!

post-30503-0-14433100-1380590314_thumb.jpg

post-30503-0-44619000-1380590337_thumb.jpg

I'd say that spots almost look like a type of porcelain crab I've seen, but IDK about the claws from the picture. Any mouth feeder thingies you can see?

Ooooh wait nvm I saw the eyes. Looks like a xanthid of some type for sure.

I put some tunicates in my tank a bit ago and saw a tiny tiny crab. It could have sat on a pencil eraser and had room to move. I saw it gain the other night and it is now the size of an eraser plus the metal piece holding it in. I thought for sure it would have been picked off immediately by the friedmani.

gulfsurfer101

Ok, I've decided that I need to get a closer look at this guy so tomorrow I go crabing. I'll try the food in the jar trick and see if that works. If not then I'll just pull the whole rock out and see if I can force him out with a fw dip.

gulfsurfer101

Meh-b but I has no mantis. Might be cool to feed him to my giant carpet anemone. Idk if the hard shell will f*kksimmup doe!

gulfsurfer101

Doesn't look emerald to me. I put in a trap last nite and this is what I found I'm the morning, wtf! They are in a dish till I get home from work and decide thier fate. Maybe this pic will get a better ID

post-30503-0-43669100-1380732344_thumb.jpg

Snow_Phoenix

Doesn't look emerald to me. I put in a trap last nite and this is what I found I'm the morning, wtf! They are in a dish till I get home from work and decide thier fate. Maybe this pic will get a better ID

Darn sneaky buggers are smart enough to hide their claws under their belly. They knew we were trying to identify them!

Make sure you get a better opinion than mine. I'm just guessing from a photo I saw of.

http://tbsaltwater.com/thepackage/watchout.html

"To determine if a crab is "reef safe", take a look at the size and shape of the claws, as they are usually good indicators. If the claws are large and pointed, it's most likely a predator. If the claws are smaller and have blunt tips, then it's usually a herbivore and reef safe."

One of the most surefire ways to determine if they are evil is to check the pincers if they are sharp it's likely carnivorous (Coral/fish). If you look at an emerald's claws they actually have flat disks for grabbing all da plants

Sunar beat me to it.

gulfsurfer101

Idk, maybe they rode in on some caulerpa I got from a local reefer. It grows like weeds in my other tank but the tank I caught these in I always notice it trimmed back. The only rock it's attached to was the one they were under. I'll have to get a closer look once I get home.

gulfsurfer101

So here's a better pic of what the pinchers look like. Hopefully these pics should help to identify if these guys are bad news or just algae eaters in which case I wouldn't mind riding them in my macro tank to cut down on gha.

post-30503-0-84049100-1380765858_thumb.jpg

post-30503-0-48635600-1380765872_thumb.jpg

Archived