Pod Your Reef

Snails lining up

dragonxflare

If they are nerite snails, It has been my experience that this is typical behavior. They will group together along the top edge or in a corner when they are not grazing. When they move away, they will often be a trail of eggs on the glass, a little line of white dots. They will sometimes even move so they are partially out of the water.

• Like 1

In and around Ft Lauderdale FL, a species of nerite will frequent tidal areas and cling to the rocks. When the tide goes out they stay clumped together on the rocks completely out of water and wait for the tide to return. I assume this may be a similar behavior.

• 7 years later...
On 9/24/2013 at 4:11 AM, dragonxflare said:

I am not sure why, my snails are lining up in the corner

zZSwgo5.jpg

On the outside of the screen porch,  we had 4 snails in a line, then 5, then..7 & now..9.  
Does  anyone know why they do this particular thing?  

Are they breeding, laying eggs, or, just what?   We have never  seen so many snails on our house... & in various other  places since we moved back here in 1990. 

Since 2019 - 2020, we see them just about everywhere.  We live in central Florida...not on the beach. 
Thank you! 

A lot of the bigger snails do this.  I have red banded trochus and Astrea in my tank and the astrea all group up in one corner up under a ledge together when they go to sleep, and the trochus all bunch up in the back bottom corner sort of under a big chalice I had that died.

My ceriths however give zero ####s about hanging out with each other.  They just go any which place they feel under the sand.