Coral Vue Hydros

Hypes Edgeless Ridge Islet-Complete

Rehype

HarryPotter

...Im very much inclined to believe it was MB7/zeobak and coral snow as that has always worked for me and Ive only dose vodka as a form of nutrient control on this tank....

I am thinking of some sort of coral food in my tank, what would you recommend? Your tank looks unbelievable- it is so different from any other reef tank I've seen. It reminds me of a cactus garden (which i LOVE, and have several of).

Currently I have mainly LPS with a few pieces of SPS, and just put in Kent A & B and Mysis every other day to feed the corals. I have a little bit of GHA, so am considering another food product such as coralsnow to help them out.

What do you think?

I am thinking of some sort of coral food in my tank, what would you recommend? Your tank looks unbelievable- it is so different from any other reef tank I've seen. It reminds me of a cactus garden (which i LOVE, and have several of).

Currently I have mainly LPS with a few pieces of SPS, and just put in Kent A & B and Mysis every other day to feed the corals. I have a little bit of GHA, so am considering another food product such as coralsnow to help them out.

What do you think?

Thanks so much Harry really appreciate the feedback!

Well let me ask what are your doing for nutrient export? (carbon dosing,refugium,water changes) The reason I ask is if your tank can handle additional feedings the best course is to just feed more often. IME Daily feedings of micro food such as baby brine shrimp/cyclops/rotifers really makes a huge difference in coral growth and polyp extension.

Then toughest part is keeping your nitrates and phosphates down with these increased feedings which is why I use vodka as its extremely efficient and easy to dose.

HarryPotter

Thanks so much Harry really appreciate the feedback!

Well let me ask what are your doing for nutrient export? (carbon dosing,refugium,water changes) The reason I ask is if your tank can handle additional feedings the best course is to just feed more often. IME Daily feedings of micro food such as baby brine shrimp/cyclops/rotifers really makes a huge difference in coral growth and polyp extension.

Then toughest part is keeping your nitrates and phosphates down with these increased feedings which is why I use vodka as its extremely efficient and easy to dose.

The tank is pretty self sufficient; I just change the media bi-weekly and top off with RO. Its been running for two years with all 0's on the parameters, Ca at 440 w. Kent A & B, etc.

I recently started doing bi-weekly 5g water changes to avoid the need of fancier dosing, but not much nutrient export honestly. I have an oversized carbon reactor- does that help? :lol:

On my upgrade (today-WOOT WOOT) to the RL-45, I will have a skimmer and hopefully refugium, so the export will increase and become more consistent.

CC9952FE-D389-4B8D-9EA8-940D5512478E_zps

The tank is pretty self sufficient; I just change the media bi-weekly and top off with RO. Its been running for two years with all 0's on the parameters, Ca at 440 w. Kent A & B, etc.

I recently started doing bi-weekly 5g water changes to avoid the need of fancier dosing, but not much nutrient export honestly. I have an oversized carbon reactor- does that help? :lol:

On my upgrade (today-WOOT WOOT) to the RL-45, I will have a skimmer and hopefully refugium, so the export will increase and become more consistent.

Your tank looks great and since your parameters are all stable I would just recommend additional feedings of microfoods(feed at night if possible). Maybe not daily but at least 2-3 times a week. Keep an eye on your nitrates and phosphates and reduce feedings if you notice they begin to rise.

HarryPotter

Your tank looks great and since your parameters are all stable I would just recommend additional feedings of microfoods(feed at night if possible). Maybe not daily but at least 2-3 times a week. Keep an eye on your nitrates and phosphates and reduce feedings if you notice they begin to rise.

My question is which microfoods? I have no experience with them, but would like to see the increased polyp extension/growth.

I see you use coralsnow, is that a micro food?

My question is which microfoods? I have no experience with them, but would like to see the increased polyp extension/growth.

I see you use coralsnow, is that a micro food?

baby brine shrimp/rotifers/cyclops/plankton

No its a water clarifier/biological facilitator

Great macro shots.

Just fuels my need for more acans.

Thanks man.. I still would like one or two more frags myself

Love your tank. I haven't been around much lately and completely missed that you'd gotten lionfish! Excited to see someone else on NR has some. I'll definitely be asking you for some advice. My new Fu Manchu is getting settled in and I have a local store ordering a fuzzy dwarf for me. I'm hoping they can find a nice red one. I love the colors on yours!

Love your tank. I haven't been around much lately and completely missed that you'd gotten lionfish! Excited to see someone else on NR has some. I'll definitely be asking you for some advice. My new Fu Manchu is getting settled in and I have a local store ordering a fuzzy dwarf for me. I'm hoping they can find a nice red one. I love the colors on yours!

Thanks so much felicia. Im happy to see someone else with these awesome animals. I wished I would have gotten them alot sooner. But Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks! it took a while to find one with her coloration but I would just say be patient because they definitely come around. Funny thing was my LFS didnt think much of her because her true coloration wasnt apparent under store lighting.

• Like 1

Thanks so much felicia. Im happy to see someone else with these awesome animals. I wished I would have gotten them alot sooner. But Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks! it took a while to find one with her coloration but I would just say be patient because they definitely come around. Funny thing was my LFS didnt think much of her because her true coloration wasnt apparent under store lighting.

Just have to get the new additions eating. How often do you feed yours? From what I read, they're only supposed to eat 2-3 times per week. The lion had no interest in eating food yesterday evening, but he'd been fed at the store so I think he may be full and still settling in. I'm going to try again today. He was eating frozen silversides at the store for over a month, so I'm not too worried.

Me too, I'm looking for green acans.

Great reefing minds think alike. Same day you mentioned green acans, I bought a green one. :)

• Like 1

Just have to get the new additions eating. How often do you feed yours? From what I read, they're only supposed to eat 2-3 times per week. The lion had no interest in eating food yesterday evening, but he'd been fed at the store so I think he may be full and still settling in. I'm going to try again today. He was eating frozen silversides at the store for over a month, so I'm not too worried.

Dont worry they sometimes wont eat the first couple of days but that wears off quickly. My fu (Qianlong) also didnt eat the first few days after I bought him home

I normally feed my lions twice a week but sometimes more... It usually depends on the size of their meals.

• Like 1

Really wow. What do you feed them?

Well Qianlong only eats crustaceans...both small and jumbo mysis as well as krill. While Penthesilea eats anything :lol:

• Like 2

Dont worry they sometimes wont eat the first couple of days but that wears off quickly. My fu (Qianlong) also didnt eat the first few days after I bought him home

I normally feed my lions twice a week but sometimes more... It usually depends on the size of their meals.

Good to know! I appreciate all the info. :)

So I was just checking the video quality on my phone and decided to make a quick test vid. Not too bad although you lose alot of detail from compression...

• Like 5