ReefCleaners.org

How high to mount par38 over 5.5 AIO

Thunil

Hi guys,
I've been reefing for close to 10 years now but this is my first foray into pico tanks and LEDs, so I decided to ask the experts here on N-R. I've done a bit of searching around and can't seem to find the answer to my question.

How high should I have this 12x 3w par38 with 90 degree optics http://www.naqua.com.au/collections/lighting/products/coral-flare-max-ii-full-spectrum-par38-reef-lamps above my 5.5 AIO (4g display)?

I'm looking to have a go at mainly SPS, probably a few zoas as well, if that info helps.

Cheers,
Daniel

I'd start fairly high, maybe around 2 feet above the water and slowly work it down, a couple inches a week until you have it where the coral want it. I have two bulbs like that of different brands over my 40b and they're 18" above the sand, 8.5" above the water. Mine also have 90* optics.

I only have a 2.5g and also have a par 38 with 12 LED's and 90 deg. optics. I have the light about a foot above water and my candy canes and zoas seem pretty happy to me.

Another option (yeah I'm fixin to start preaching it again) is to take the optics off and run it naked. You can run it lower to the water that way and you get much much better coloration and spread. This is actually now I normally run my bulbs over my 40b and it looks so much better (I just changed them back this way today). The coral seem to really like it a lot as well and it's far easier on the eyes. Much easier to take pics as well.

Try both and see what you like.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a play around with heights and might even try pulling the optics out and seeing how they all compare.

Cheers for the help,

Daniel

I converted my EBI about 2 months ago. I have a few pieces of coral and a firefish goby. The light I decided to go with is the AI Nano Touch (black). I did purchase the handle arm that is made for it… don’t bother getting it. It made the light to close to the water lever and offset the light about 2-3 inches from being centered. I had a buddy of mine make a custom SS stand that now holds the light about 20” from the base of the tank. I hope this helps.

Don

Archived