ReefCleaners.org

Moving into a house and considering a big upgrade

robpardee

Hey everyone, it's been a while but what started almost 7 years ago as an aquapod 12g reef has since evolved into my current 110 reef setup with sump. We are now putting a bid on a house that has the absolutely perfect place for me to install our dream tank with plumbing down to the basement to run everything. I'm looking for a guide for a reef tank of this caliber. Is there anything out there that is a good rundown on what's recommended to be included in a setup like this? Ideally I'd like something that can go longer than needing weekly water changes and still be healty. If that means dosing then so be it. I have a Reefkeeper lite that I am considering upgrading to the elite or possibly switching to another system.

Here are the topics I think I need the most asistance with:

Sump (how big and what to use? (rubbermaid container vs aquarium)

What to put in the sump? (Miracle mud/sand and rock/lots of cheato or all of the above)

Protein skimmer suggestions looking around 200 gallons

Easy way to get water changes done from the basement

Light recommendation for over the sump cheato area

How many tanks in the basement, 1 sump for rock/mud/cheato and 1 for the skimmer and sponges/socks?

Thanks for any help guys!

What size tank are you talking?

As for rubbermaid tubs, they work fine, but you might want to brace the sides since they weren't exactly meant to hold that much water weight and will flex.

And try RC, they've got more people with experience with large tanks.

Definitely head over to RC and Ultimate Reef and start reading up on the Large Tank builds.. there is a plethora of threads for them.

Take your time and research everything you. Depending how large you are going will play a factor in the build as well.

Archived