Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

40 breeder AIO?

Karcus

setting up a new tank and contemplating turning a 40 b into an AIO style tank much like the popular 10g aio versions.

Any reason to not do this? Anyone got any examples?

What type of material should I use for the partition? I had some bowing when I used cheap stuff on a 10 gallon a couple years back.

Basically, I'm thinking one like this http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/9074-10-gallon-all-in-one/

I'm thinkin Barebottom, run with a skimmer, and live rock from gulfliverock.com

Gotta drive 2 hours to petco for the sale this week and then I can get started.

Only negative is less room in display and tougher if you wish to mod in the future. I had a biocube before and while it wasn't bad...never again. LOL That is personal preference though.

+1 on the above. I have had several AIO tanks, never again. Personal preference of course, but ugh, so many advantages to display and sump. Most people use acrylic and segment a portion or the tank similar to a biocube.....people usually plan based on what equipment etc will be in the aio chambers.

kriskristofferzen

I thought long and hard about making my 40b into an AIO. Personally, it messes up the dimensions/asthetics of the tank. I would either sump it, or paint the back black and have your equipment hang off the back. Good luck :)

• 1 month later...

If you don't have the place or desire to sump it - maybe because of where you're putting it - then I'd suggest painting the back and hanging a skimmer and perhaps an AC110 for mechanical and chemical filtration rather than cutting into the size of your display with an AIO.

I have the badfish aio in the middle of the back and I really like how it looks. Only one area with little flow is on the right side and I'm going to fix this with an ac70

post-80649-0-62037300-1382634623_thumb.jpg

This is exactly what I posted about before.If was to go aio again after owning a bc14 Id go this route.

Visually its not much different than having a drilled tank.

Archived