Pod Your Reef

Ant's 3 Gallon- June Update

antsypants

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great news, ant! hope it continues to heal

and get rid of that yuck!!

Thank you! I'm crossing my fingers but it looks good right now :)

Been having a bit of zoa problems also but I think it's because my temp has been swinging a bit. Time for a new heater <_<

Btw, do you still have those super saiyan zoas? Been keeping an eye out for some but no luck lol

Thank you! I'm crossing my fingers but it looks good right now :)

Been having a bit of zoa problems also but I think it's because my temp has been swinging a bit. Time for a new heater <_<

Btw, do you still have those super saiyan zoas? Been keeping an eye out for some but no luck lol

i do have them. they are still alive, amazingly.

i stuck them in the back of the tank so i didn't have

to see them for awhile. ha! they haven't grown more heads,

but they are still bright and seem mostly happy. i bought them

from legendary corals. you can see them at the front in my #1367

post a page back in my thread. :) (it is the evening shot.)

i do have them. they are still alive, amazingly.

i stuck them in the back of the tank so i didn't have

to see them for awhile. ha! they haven't grown more heads,

but they are still bright and seem mostly happy. i bought them

from legendary corals. you can see them at the front in my #1367

post a page back in my thread. :) (it is the evening shot.)

Oh nice, they look good! Did you hear about LC's live sale next saturday?

Oh nice, they look good! Did you hear about LC's live sale next saturday?

nope!! but i honestly don't have much more room in

my tank. the saiyans are the only zoas in my tank now! ha!

i'm also so spoiled, i have to really want something to pay

for shipping, since ASD is local!

nope!! but i honestly don't have much more room in

my tank. the saiyans are the only zoas in my tank now! ha!

i'm also so spoiled, i have to really want something to pay

for shipping, since ASD is local!

Ahhhh but it's only $20 shipping for CA residents! ;)

• 5 months later...
antsypants

Haven't updated this thread in forever :o

Reason being was my light half died on me and I wasn't able to replace it so the tank had to subsist on whatever light the fixture could still put out. Zoas started looking bad and the SPS bleached so it was a discouraging to say the least. Anyways, a couple weeks ago, I transferred some of the remaining coral over to the 7 gallon, got a par bulb from Partially Submerged (thanks again!) and replaced the rockwork. The change has motivated me to keep this tank running but it's definitely going down a different direction than what it used to be. Anyways here's the FTS with the new rockwork:

IMG_6680_zpsylgsbpz7.jpg

And some closeups of the new inhabitants,

IMG_6683_zps82dcldly.jpg

IMG_6684_zpsmmgkyzhk.jpg

Top down :)

IMG_6685_zpsjidfvxzn.jpg

I would have preferred the main rock to be a little taller and wider at the base, but I think it'll do. The scape's a little sparse but I'm hoping the age of the tank, filtration, and sandbed will keep it stable. The pistol shrimp has been missing ever since I rescaped though I know he's in the tank, so I'm worried that it was hiding in one of the rocks and died because of an ammonia spike or something as I was moving everything around :/ If he doesn't show up, I guess a new goby/pistol pair will be on my stocking list along with a small BTA. I'm not too worried about it moving around since I'm keeping coral stocking at a minimum and will have larger tanks to transfer it too once it gets too large. Anyways, let me know what you think :)

• 1 month later...

Soo it's the little tank's 3rd birthday right around now (I don't know the actual date but I started this tank up sometime around the summer so we'll just go with mid-June...) but I'm not sure if it really counts seeing as I've replaced most of the old rock and coral and whatnot. The only thing still in the tank from before the transition is a nano conch and a nassarius snail. It's kind of like I broke the tank down and started it back up without an in between period where the tank was dry and out of commission. Anyways, questions about numerical identity are weird and confusing so I'll just go ahead and say it's the same tank as it was before.

Not much has changed since last update, just added more macros and some more rock. Can't take too many pics of different things until I get new inhabitants in so just some updated photos for now.

FTS

IMG_7190_zps6vztlyld.jpg

Zoas, planning on adding a couple more from the 7 gallon once they're able to be fragged.

IMG_7191_zpskpd9l5ym.jpg

GSP creepin up the glass

IMG_7193_zpsgtxgtp6n.jpg

The pistol shrimp is definitely gone, no idea what happened, didn't leave a trace. Will try to find a new pair, but in the meantime I'm probably going to try to find some coral I want to stock because I can't seem to figure out what I want in my head (I usually never have this issue :lol: ) I'm also officially on summer break but I have summer classes starting up back at UCSB in a week so I'll try to do the most I can with my time off.

Ant good to see your back :D I love the look of the tank, still my favorite :D:P

Thanks! Was nervous about changing it up since some might have liked it better before but glad to see you're still on board!

It's nice to see this tank is still going :) I really like the open sand space

Thank you :) I always try to go for open scapes, the contrast between coral and sand is always nice.

Yeah I love the look, I have always liked the look of a few rocks and a lot of sand.

Golden ratio ;)

On another note, decided to visit age of aquariums today. Great place, they had some adorable barnacle blennies

received_1147563101932499_zps1fsocvnm.jp

Sorely tempted to buy em all for this tank but stayed strong :(

Barnacle blennies are super cute! They can jump out though, so you'd still need to get a cover anyway

Are you looking for a new fish?

Barnacle blennies are super cute! They can jump out though, so you'd still need to get a cover anyway

Are you looking for a new fish?

I do have a DIY lid over the tank, I just take it off for pics :) The mesh is 1/4" though, dunno if that's small enough to keep these guys from jumping.

I am looking around, currently there's nothing in here in terms of fish/inverts aside from coral so the macros aren't getting too much nutrients. I want to try another shrimp/goby pair along with a small swimming/perching fish like a neon or trimma goby but haven't had much luck finding either. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks! And yeah, for awhile haha :) Coral shopping feels so good..

I've also been messing around with the camera in hopes of reducing the glare from the barebottom. Took an FTS today, tips appreciated!

IMG_3980_zpsk7z5eynj.jpg

I'm also looking to find a coral to top the left rock since the birdsnest unfortunately doesn't look like it's going to pull through. I really like the way millepora look and a small branching colony would look nice right there, I think. I'm not too sure about care so if anybody with experience can chime in... :lol:

Nice!

Archived