inTank Media Baskets

Can you fit a Radion XR30w inside a 29G Biocube hood ?

TheNorthernLight

TheNorthernLight

Hey guys,

Exactly as the topic states,

Does anybody know if the Radion XR30w will fit inside the 29G Biocube, and if so, Should I plan to drill the top for extra venting ?

Barring someone who's tried it....I just measured by Biocube hood.

It should fit based on the listed 11.8" x 7" x 1.5". The 1.5" depth will make the fixture closer to the water than the stock light

Are you trying to fit the Radion within the current Biocube light enclosure? If so, it might fit but it'd be real tight. You'd have to modify the back, black area of the light enclosure I'm sure. Fun project.

Can't help with the heat though.

Yep you'll over heat the Radion and your tank. I ended up putting a Radion over my RSM but I made a cheap and easy open top which allows for air circulation and no fish jumping. I'm really happy with that set up.

• 5 years later...
Coloradosalt420

I'm about to try the same but maybe cut a hole in the lid and put a piece of acrylic over the stock light enclosure and see how that works. Can we bring this old ass thread back to life ??

image.png.738af5e19d89789da873e329bc778344.png

If you can fit that many clowns in a Volkswagen, then I'm sure you can fit an xr30 into a BioCube hood.  😉

I think it's probably one of those things where "if you have to ask, then it's too much"....or too complicated in this case.

It's worth (re)considering that the xr30 is meant for deep tanks, not something like the BioCube. 

While I'm still positive that, with the right mods, you could install the xr30 in your hood, it seems like you might be better served by selling the xr30 and replacing it with a "right-sized" light.  An xr15, or similar would still be overkill, but a better fit.  Something on the scale of an AI Prime would be more ideal.  There are also LED retrofits designed especially for the BioCube that may be worth considering.

Not a radion, but this is mine. It is a black box light. I run radions on my big reef and personally don’t think this is a good idea. I used the black box light because it was cheap and I needed a light that would support clams due to needing to remove them from my 90. The fans on the radions will pull humidity from the water, as well as salt into the light. I think if you tried this you would seriously lower the life expectancy of the light. 

EF310D46-9EF7-4261-8DC9-3EDAF4EE856A.jpeg

A15F7391-73D2-40B2-BFF2-36004FB9B20A.jpeg