Cultivated Reef

What does 10,000 gallons of water look like?

Subsea

BeardedReeferLLC

I seen these videos over on the ARC Forums before. Your facility and knowledge is rich with helpful info. I'm sure there was many hours of work done to the backyard. Also a hobbyist dream to have 10K gallons on hand.

Great videos Patrick.

Yes, I enjoy my cube of the ocean. I have been an avid hobbiest for 40+'years. It never gets boring. Between gardening, vegetable and ornamental, and reefing I am as busy as I want to be.

I noticed that you put Gulf of Mexico as your location. Your picture from below a large school of sharks brings to mind a point in time. As a subsea engineer on offshore drilling rigs with guidelines to the BOP (blowout preventer) on ocean floor, I was responsible for underwater inspections. Often during the inspection of underwater riser and wellhead, as I went deeper I would pan the camera to the surface. As technology advanced with fiber optics and multiplexing control systems, we were able to push limits into deeper water and further off the continental shelf. As a floating structure in 10K feet of water, aside from island mats of Sargassum Seaweed our drilling rig became a shelter that promoted a hatchery of fish and things. On one camera inspection underwater, I paused at 100' and again at 200'. In these GOM waters, the visibility underwater is unlimited. Silhouetted against a blue sky were several hundred barracuda and numerous schooling fish. Some things you nevèr forget. That picture will be one of those unforgettable moments.

Laissez la bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

BeardedReeferLLC

Impressive, I actually work on the oil rigs too but not in the Gulf as of yet... But I've drilled in remote areas in Northern Canada but reside in SWF.

How many years have you been on the rigs Patrick?

Myself 4 but I'm only young still. 26.

I worked on offshore drilling rigs and ships for 35 years. Considering equal on/off schedule, I have been in Blue Water for 17 years. I enjoyed the adventure.

On my first assignment offshore, Nov 1972, I was considered a trainee mechanic. While on that semi-submersible drilling rig, I was befriended by a crew of Cajuns from Delcambre, Louisiana. Because I had an engineering degree, they worked me like a dog. I was determined to prove my salt. In getting ready for a Coast Guard inspection, I satisfied sceptics that I would pull my load. That night while showering, I developed muscle cramps in both arms, preventing me from washing my hair.

During a rig move, the lower pontoons are evacuated of water and raised 30' to towing draft. Bubble gauge instrumentation used to determine depth of water in each tank required repair by going into this darkened hole under water. I assisted the Barge Engineer with this repair. As radios verified instrumentation readings we validated the repair before we left the lower pontoon. During this time, I realized the outer hull of the pontoon was crawling with urchins and brittle starfish. With gentle waves washing a deck 2' above the water level, I gathered up urchins and starfish to bring home to my 55G marine tank. If I had told those Cajuns that I was going to eat those things, they would have more likely believed me. Instead of putting them in a tank to watch, they would have a pot of water to cook them in.

Patrick

In considering sustainable mariculture, I have selected six macros for production, 3 green and 3 red.

Green: Caulerpa Prolifera, Caulerpa Paspoides, Ulva

Red: Gracilaria Parvispora, Gracilaria Cervicornis are in production and available. Dragons Breath and

Red Grapes are presently in mono culture to be available for sustainable sales in December.

Patrick

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thats some ingenuity right there!!!

I will take that as a compliment. If ingenuity means adapting to circumstances, I will claim it. Thank you for the kind words.

Durings the months of sept and oct, Bear Creek watershed received more than 30" of rain in five events. Each event was the equivalent of a 100 year flood with 6"-18" above cement slab in workshop during each rain event. With a muddy bog around the greenhouse, it deferred my idea to close in and automatic greenhouse operations. Also during this time, I expanded AquacultureRanch operations to develoe production of hi end decorative macros under more controlled enviromental conditions inside my house. When my apprentice and I finish manicuring 500G of lagoon displays, we will post pictures. During this same time, I am conducting macro algae testing with LED manufacture on specific spectrum and macro response of two red macro and two green macro. Independent of LED manufacture testing, I am conducting specific LED spectrum testing on two deep water red macros, dragons breath and red grapes.

As things have evolved, I am juggling quite a few projects. It's my new profile.

Laissez a bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

Archived