ReefCleaners.org

Bioballs

mokick3

Hmmmm.. I just read another thread that recommended the removal of bioballs. My seacube came with filtration built in. One of the chambers in back of the tank is filled with bioballs. Is it beneficial to remove these?

I have about 20 lbs of live rock in a 15 gallon tank.

In a berlin style or Monaco style reef tank, yep. Bio balls are efficient beds for nitrosomonas and nitrobactir bacteria to breed in, which is great for fish only systems where you don't care about nitrates.

Since high nitrate levels are toxic to reef life, it's best to remove any areas where high levels of nitrification can outstrip the live rock's ability to dentrify nitrates. In other words, most bio-media becomes a nitrate trap.

It's best to let the LR do all of the nitrification/denitrification for you naturally, eventually reaching it's own balance.

Thanks my brother has a 40g and is running the bio wheel filter on his tank and battling nitrates. I've been telling he doesn't need it from what I've read hear. He has 3-4" of LS and 50# of LR. I'm emailing this threAD TO HIM.

Archived