Top Shelf Aquatics

Ninja's 12g PicO S III ~ Tank Leaking Taking it Down ~

ninjamyst

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick update.

Diatom started just as my CUC arrived from ReefCleaners. Got a hermit crab hitchhiker =). Also ordered some Red Gracilaria. It wasn't bunched up and it kind of flew EVERYWHERE. As for snails, John gave me WAY too much. I dumped most of it in but have a feeling there wont be enough algae for them to eat.

Luckily for them, my firefish is a pansy and never comes out. I try to drop a few pellets of food for him and most end up on the sandbed. He will come out for a few mins when the pump is off. Been almost a week. He needs to man up.

I discovered bryopsis on my zoa frag and dipped it in 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and tank water for 3 mins. The zoa looks pretty pissed off right now. Hopefully it will make it. The bryopsis is still there. It better be completely gone in 2 days or I am throwing that frag out.

Water parameter is good. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 10-15 Nitrate. Zoa (before the dip) looks very happy with great color. Going to do a water change tomorrow. Planning to pick up a frogspawn and a hammer frag on Sunday.

The spoiler/show thing is really neat.

Glad you can keep firefish; first my blue ribbon eel would eat them, and now they jump out of my reef pool.

My new Red Gracilaria is turning green. What the heck. It's off to the side of the tank so it's not under intense light.

I changed the return to a Hydor Flo in hopes of firefish coming out. And he did =). WOOHOO. He still hides as soon as I get near the tank, but I have seen him out from afar twice already today. That spoiled brat.

Diatom bloom is spreading to the sandbed. CUC on strike or something.

Also did a water change. Need to find a better way to pour water back into the tank without stirring everything up. Everything is made harder with my tank on the fireplace mantle.

Deleted User 4

Firefish finally came out of hiding after I turned off the pump. Dropped in a few Spectrum pellet. They were floating on top. He looked interested but didn't bite. The pellets finally sunk when I turned back on the pump and are now behind the rocks. CUC not coming in till Thursday so I hope these 3 days of light feeding wont skyrocket my nitrate. Here's a quick pic of the little guy. I named him Torch =P.

9601345789_7ffcba5184_z.jpg

Wow!! Nice photo shot.

Firefish finally came out of hiding after I turned off the pump. Dropped in a few Spectrum pellet. They were floating on top. He looked interested but didn't bite. The pellets finally sunk when I turned back on the pump and are now behind the rocks. CUC not coming in till Thursday so I hope these 3 days of light feeding wont skyrocket my nitrate. Here's a quick pic of the little guy. I named him Torch =P.

9601345789_7ffcba5184_z.jpg

That picture is so beautiful I almost wanna buy a Firefish.

And I'm pumped about your tank. That scape...

I do always recommend against GSP unless its on an island. Do not put it on display rock.

I do always recommend against GSP unless its on an island. Do not put it on display rock.

I was thinking about putting the GSP at the very top ledge that's about 1 inch from top of the water. I was hoping it wont creep down the "tree branch". I need to find something that's very low and likes very very intense light because that ledge is right below the LEDs.

I was thinking about putting the GSP at the very top ledge that's about 1 inch from top of the water. I was hoping it wont creep down the "tree branch". I need to find something that's very low and likes very very intense light because that ledge is right below the LEDs.

Now that might be interesting. Not sure how easily it grows downwards. I'd be interested.

Mines currently on an island.

Picked up two frogspawn today. A normal green frogspawn and a neon yellow/green one. It's pretty awesome looking. It also has a red base which is kind of weird. Problem is finding a low flow spot for these guys. Since my scape is open, there's flow everywhere. At the LFS, the flow is very low.

9651426960_1497ecfee2_c.jpg

Nice! Looks like coralline on the skeleton hence the "red" :lol:. You definitely want to put it in the lowest flow location in your tank, and then leave it there. Give it 3-4 days to open up, and then move it only if it looks like the polyps are about to pulled off of the skeleton

Nice! Looks like coralline on the skeleton hence the "red" :lol:. You definitely want to put it in the lowest flow location in your tank, and then leave it there. Give it 3-4 days to open up, and then move it only if it looks like the polyps are about to pulled off of the skeleton

I found a temp spot for it now under a ledge. The picture is as big as it will get for now. It's a tiny frag =P. Can't wait for it grow out. With actinic on only, it's the brightest thing in my tank.

Wow, the pic w/ your firefish, it's like his tail is on fire! Awesome picture. I like your rockscape, it's not the usual. GSP would be awesome on top, nice green bed, if you end up getting a clown he will love his carpet. All I know is gsp grows faster on rock than on sand but it's still fast on sand. Mine is creeping up the right bottom wall. Fantastic looking tank so far. Can't wait to see where you put your new zoas.

New order from Saltcritters came in! One zoa frag is still closed up but the other two opened. I can't believe how big one of the frag was, especially when compared to the other two. Also got some rics but one of them seems to be injured during shipping. I would definitely recommend Saltcritters for their great service and affordable price. They are in Indiana so next day shipping is only $20 for me =P. I paid $122 SHIPPED for 3 zoa frags and 5 rics.

From left to right: Peach zoa $15, green zoa $30, reddish zoa $40.

9698264630_45d6066ee9_c.jpg

Neon green ric with blue skirt.

9698263502_d933435fb1_c.jpg

My other frogspawn from LFS.

9698264040_8e846604fb_c.jpg

New FTS. Firefish still only comes out during feeding. Such a beautiful fish that I never get to see...blah.

9695031507_6bc3809775_c.jpg

New order from Saltcritters came in! One zoa frag is still closed up but the other two opened. I can't believe how big one of the frag was, especially when compared to the other two. Also got some rics but one of them seems to be injured during shipping. I would definitely recommend Saltcritters for their great service and affordable price. They are in Indiana so next day shipping is only $20 for me =P. I paid $122 SHIPPED for 3 zoa frags and 5 rics.

From left to right: Peach zoa $15, green zoa $30, reddish zoa $40.

9698264630_45d6066ee9_c.jpg

Neon green ric with blue skirt.

9698263502_d933435fb1_c.jpg

My other frogspawn from LFS.

9698264040_8e846604fb_c.jpg

New FTS. Firefish still only comes out during feeding. Such a beautiful fish that I never get to see...blah.

9695031507_6bc3809775_c.jpg

Yeah, so my peach also, must just take longer for peach to acclimate. I did decide to dip them today for like 7 mins. I'm hoping they'll be ok- The yellow didn't want to shut all the way even to get dipped, I put it under an output so the pressure would help. That one frag is enormous and gorgeous!!! Your pictures are amazing. Being in NC my shipping was $30.

Yeah, so my peach also, must just take longer for peach to acclimate. I did decide to dip them today for like 7 mins. I'm hoping they'll be ok- The yellow didn't want to shut all the way even to get dipped, I put it under an output so the pressure would help. That one frag is enormous and gorgeous!!! Your pictures are amazing. Being in NC my shipping was $30.

I was worried but I remember yours also didn't open right away. This is gonna be a race to see whose open first =P. A few polyps on the yellow one is still closed for me. One also is very loose. Sometimes it's hard to see how big his frags are. I didn't expect the big one to be that big given it's only $10 more.

Your tank looks great. You scape is amazing and you have some really nice corals. I like your frogspawn being in the corner. The ricordia might look cool growing on the very top "rock tree." Just an idea.

Your tank looks great. You scape is amazing and you have some really nice corals. I like your frogspawn being in the corner. The ricordia might look cool growing on the very top "rock tree." Just an idea.

Thanks! That's a great idea for a ricordea tree. Will they do well under intense light?

You've got camera skills!!!!! Awesome photos!!!! I really like your rockscape. It's kinda hard to tell the clearance you have on that top rock, but I think a mix of different colored zoanthids would look really hot.

Archived