ReefCleaners.org

Smallest Lion Fish for Small Tanks? & other questions?

duganderson

What is the smallest type of lion fish that can be housed in a Nano Frag tank (macros, leathers, and maybe some other softies)?

What is the smallest tank you would put a lionfish in if you were willing to re-home it after a year or two if it got too big?

Woud the lion be likely to eat any of the macros or softies (mostly leathers but likely some shrooms and palys) I plan to keep?

How hard it is it to get them eating non-live food? What is realistic for them to eat after trained? (frozen fish, pellets, etc.)

Is there another fish like a Lion that you may recommend that may be better for a nano tank?

If you're not willing to do the basic research on poisonous fish on your own, then you probably shouldn't be keeping poisonous fish.

/ $0.02

I do significant research about anything before I buy it but asking questions here is a part of the research. I love to get feedback from reefers in addition to web pages, magazines, etc.

This sort of comment is the reason people leave forums.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fu manchu lionfish, 30 gallons but I would not put it in a frag tank. They need lots of hiding spots to feel comfortable. You would end up with a DT and not really a frag tank. Also depending on what frags you are using it for.. you don't really want a lionfish dirtying up the water. It sorts of messes up the purpose of a frag tank.

Can be difficult to feed frozen, prepare to feed it quality live shrimp for food for its life.

Won't bother corals/macro.

Other small scorpion fish but again they need lots of hiding spots.

If I was going to put a fish in a frag tank. I would just add 1 sixline wrasse since they are actually beneficial to have in there due to eating pests. Nothing too small though, they need some swimming room. 20g Long min imo. Still give it some hiding spots but shouldn't need too much.

• Like 2
Rollermonkey

I do significant research about anything before I buy it but asking questions here is a part of the research. I love to get feedback from reefers in addition to web pages, magazines, etc.

This sort of comment is the reason people leave forums.

If you've done the research, perhaps the way you phrase it could be better, such as:

"I was considering putting a Fu Manchu Lionfish in a 30B frag tank, I believe the tank is big enough, but I'm worried that the environment might not be adequate. Does anyone here have personal experience with lionfish in this kind of setup, and would you feel confident recommending it or not?"

Then you sound like you have a plan, and aren't just "fishing around" to get other people to do the hard work for you. Is that fair?

Besides, if a comment like that is enough to make you want to leave a forum, I highly recommend staying out of 'The Lounge', or about 99% of online interactions, because I'm pretty polite compared to most of the trolls out there.

• Like 2
  • 5 years later...
On 8/23/2013 at 11:03 PM, Rollermonkey said:

If you're not willing to do the basic research on poisonous fish on your own, then you probably shouldn't be keeping poisonous fish.

/ $0.02

its actually venomous not poisonous. some research would have told you that. just sayin. /$0.02

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, acura287 said:

its actually venomous not poisonous. some research would have told you that. just sayin. /$0.02

Constructive first post on a ~6 year old post. Good job 🙂

• Haha 1

I kept a tiny one... less than an inch in a 14 gal bio cube till it was 2 inches long . It ate flakes like a  champ from day 1! Typical venustis lion fish.

• Like 1