Top Shelf Aquatics

Excel Reef keeping spreadsheet

Reefer911

I've been in Reef keeping for many years but am new to nano-feef. After searching and searching for an adequate excel spreadsheet to track my reef parameters, feedings, and coral growth, I couldn't find one. So I made my own and thought some others may find it interesting or useful.

This excel sheet will automatically graph all parameters on sheet 2 and the parameters will turn red when above or below acceptable levels. Additionally, there is a page to track coral growth using photos and descriptions.

Unfortunately, the file is too large to post on this blog. I have attached a screen shot of the spreadsheet. The units entered are for testing purposes only so don't judge me by them LOL.

If you like the spreadsheet, post your emial and I will send it out.

post-81274-0-14207900-1377115792_thumb.png

post-81274-0-95795600-1377115800_thumb.png

• Like 2

Why not just use the Aquatic Log website?

Way easier than gen'ing up a spreadsheet, AND it has apps that work with it.

Actually I had never heard of it. I'll check it out and might use it. Thanks

• 3 years later...

Tried doing this myself but not very excel savvy. Let me know what you think of aquaticlog.com and how it compares. Simplicity is key for me. It's very generous of you to share your excel sheet with everyone.

cfaye@Delaware

I went over to aquaticlog.com......it looks nice, but I think you have to pay for things. Is there anyway you can print out a log sheet for this. I would like to put the info on my tank in a notebook. aquaticlog is nice but I would like a print out of the tank info. Thanks........I signed up for aquaticlog but only have a few days of free service.  

• Like 1

Nice spreadsheet.

Very thoughtful of you to share it 

I use aquarium note app.

Very easy and free.

I used to have a spreadsheet but rarely use my computer now.

• 1 year later...

Looks good but I would  suggest moving the coral feeding date to it's own column.  This will help normalize your records and make it easier to track feedings in the future. 

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Alisonok said:

Hi

Please could you email me a parameter spreadsheet to print out.

Thank you

Alison.

Hi! Welcome to NR. 😊

I just wanted to point out that member hasn’t been active since 2014. 

• Haha 1
Chadicus Meridius
8 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Hi! Welcome to NR. 😊

I just wanted to point out that member hasn’t been active since 2014. 

I was actually thinking we , as a community, have a thread where we put are parameters once weekly like Saturday. So if a problem occurs we can compare the differences and try to figure it out. Melevsreef gave me this idea.

9 hours ago, Alisonok said:

Hi

Please could you email me a parameter spreadsheet to print out.

Thank you

Alison.

The book Marine Aquarium Handbook Beginner to Breeder has a nice log in it if you want a good example log to model after.  

It's an excellent book, easy to find new, used or even on eBook format.

If you want an app, check out Aqua Planner by Jose Weeks.   A really nice guy and he's been constantly developing it since I met him around 10 years ago so it's a very seasoned app.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I also do spreadsheet tracking but in Google Sheets, which is their online version of Excel. It's nice because I can share a link for anyone to view:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iN3Rf4lT3LPh5AbnffVxuFtZTiW67okqIgRISsXmkKk/edit?usp=sharing

I'd like how you have everything in one sheet. I don't test everything all the time so I keep separate sheets for each element. I might switch it to match your design 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

I also do spreadsheet tracking but in Google Sheets, which is their online version of Excel. It's nice because I can share a link for anyone to view:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iN3Rf4lT3LPh5AbnffVxuFtZTiW67okqIgRISsXmkKk/edit?usp=sharing

I'd like how you have everything in one sheet. I don't test everything all the time so I keep separate sheets for each element. I might switch it to match your design 🙂

Looks amazing! thanks for sharing! 🙌

I made one, earlier on this month but wasn't as complete as yours - it will definetly save me some time!

• Thanks 1

super neat idea.

I use excel to track when i add livestock, last cleaned pumps, etc.

fish coral lists are just a simple day counter

equipment cleaning is what i use it for most. as the date encroaches the clean date (whether it be 3 mos, 6 mos, or 12mos) the box slowly turns from green to yellow to orange to red.

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

super neat idea.

I use excel to track when i add livestock, last cleaned pumps, etc.

fish coral lists are just a simple day counter

equipment cleaning is what i use it for most. as the date encroaches the clean date (whether it be 3 mos, 6 mos, or 12mos) the box slowly turns from green to yellow to orange to red.

That's pretty fancy – I like it!   Whatever works for you!!!!

I started logging my tank with a notecard and pencil.

Then I installed a whole server and groupware system so I could have a decent (functional) electronic diary...something functionally akin to wikipedia, with markdown, etc.....I used Ubuntu and Tikiwiki.  An excellent one-up for my purposes, even from desktop software!  I used this solutions for several years.  Accessible remotely.  Unlimited.  Easy to program and setup.  Etc.

Stuff happened ("real life"), and then I didn't log anything for a while.

Now, for the last 3-4 years, I'm back to a notecards and a pencil.  (Upgraded to 5x8 cards tho!!!)

• Haha 1