SaltCritters.com

Elos System 100 or Cadlights Artisan II 70

Jay Wee

Thanks for checking marquiseo. I think I might take the plunge and get the 65. Its a perfect measurement and my maxspect razor will look awesome with it. The Tank looks really well built! And how's the stand? Is it sturdy? Obviously it comes with assembling instructions right? I've seem a lot of cadlights owner pissed about not getting instructions with their tank. And does it come with plumbing and everything? It'll be my first full system setup with a sump and plumbing.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are your plans for the Nuvo when you upgrade? I haven't owned either of the tanks you're looking at, but here's how I usually make decisions when trying to decide between a premium brand and something slightly cheaper: I remind myself that I've never regretted spending extra to buy a premium brand. Whether it's a $2k macbook over a $1k PC or a $200 Cordura Camelbak over a cheapo pack for camping, I have never regretted spending the extra cash for the premium brand and the quality that comes with it.

So, yea, I vote for the Elos.

I have had bad experiences with CADlights. It seems like recently they have tried to turn it around but its a rinky-dink operation so everything takes forever and gets lost in the shuffle 99 percent of the time from what I have witnessed in my dealings with them.

Thanks for checking marquiseo. I think I might take the plunge and get the 65. Its a perfect measurement and my maxspect razor will look awesome with it. The Tank looks really well built! And how's the stand? Is it sturdy? Obviously it comes with assembling instructions right? I've seem a lot of cadlights owner pissed about not getting instructions with their tank. And does it come with plumbing and everything? It'll be my first full system setup with a sump and plumbing.

The stand is really sturdy. It comes with plumbing, sump, return pump, skimmer, and INSTRUCTIONS. I use all the equipment except the return pump because I had already bought one and forgot that the tank had came with one so to make myself not feel foolish for buying one, i used the bought one. The skimmer is nice. You can see lots of reviews everywhere with success. Here is one of the youtube videos:

but you can type "SCA 302 skimmer" and find lots more.

Man! Shippings almost $200.

Yeah that sounds about right. I've heard of shipping cost more than that. It would have been higher with cadlights because of the cost. I hate that you missed out on the free shipping. I think it ended a month ago at one of the retailers.

What are your plans for the Nuvo when you upgrade? I haven't owned either of the tanks you're looking at, but here's how I usually make decisions when trying to decide between a premium brand and something slightly cheaper: I remind myself that I've never regretted spending extra to buy a premium brand. Whether it's a $2k macbook over a $1k PC or a $200 Cordura Camelbak over a cheapo pack for camping, I have never regretted spending the extra cash for the premium brand and the quality that comes with it.

So, yea, I vote for the Elos.

I might sell the nuvo24 but I haven't decided yet. Maybe set it up as a full zoa tank. No rocks. Just sand bed full of zoas. Nothing else. Just Zoas.

Like this. Sick.

_MG_9466.jpg

I have had bad experiences with CADlights. It seems like recently they have tried to turn it around but its a rinky-dink operation so everything takes forever and gets lost in the shuffle 99 percent of the time from what I have witnessed in my dealings with them.

Good to know. They've been really quick responding to my email about purchasing. But who knows, everything might go downhill after that. Do you still own any cadlights?

Yes I own the old style 8 gallon tank...currently in the process of upgrading. IMO the glass is very nice but the finish is lacking and in the case of this tank the rear AIO portion is so poorly designed that it barely functions correctly with heavy modification...

I guess they hired a PR guy a year or so ago (had some dealings with him...) so maybe thats who handles back and forth. When I ordered there was two guys and it took me multiple tries to even get someone to answer the phone.

I just wouldn't spend my money with a company that would put its name on such an epic failure. They had to know from the minute they put those together it was never going to work but they sold it anyway.

Deleted User 4

The stand is really sturdy. It comes with plumbing, sump, return pump, skimmer, and INSTRUCTIONS. I use all the equipment except the return pump because I had already bought one and forgot that the tank had came with one so to make myself not feel foolish for buying one, i used the bought one. The skimmer is nice. You can see lots of reviews everywhere with success. Here is one of the youtube videos:

but you can type "SCA 302 skimmer" and find lots more.

Yeah that sounds about right. I've heard of shipping cost more than that. It would have been higher with cadlights because of the cost. I hate that you missed out on the free shipping. I think it ended a month ago at one of the retailers.

We'd love to see pictures of your sca tank!!

I might sell the nuvo24 but I haven't decided yet. Maybe set it up as a full zoa tank. No rocks. Just sand bed full of zoas. Nothing else. Just Zoas.

Like this. Sick.

_MG_9466.jpg

Good to know. They've been really quick responding to my email about purchasing. But who knows, everything might go downhill after that. Do you still own any cadlights?

I was going to say elos. But elos is out of order in the U.S. Now that I've noticed sca's quality, you should definitely go with sca. Perhaps when they have free shipping lol.

Holy crap Elos got back to me. Have to get it from their NJ Aqua Studio store which is closest to me. So here's the price breakdown.

Elos System 100 75G - $3599.95 excluding tax & delivery. Probably all in all $4000?

Cadlights Artisan II 70G - $1,474.98 + shipping (about $200) = $1675

SCA Starfire 65G - $799.99 + shipping ($197) = $996.99 + $50 to prime and paint the cabinet white. Don't ask me why. I just have to. I have to. Please. haha.

Oh dang. That SCA tank is pretty nice!

My CAD Lights 47 should be completed by sometime tomorrow and then it's getting crated and freighted up north. Just going with a custom sized tank to fit the space that I need. Opted for tank only so we'll see how it looks when it arrives. I've seen plenty of eLos tanks and have a Miracles tank to compare it to once I actually see it.

Holy crap Elos got back to me. Have to get it from their NJ Aqua Studio store which is closest to me. So here's the price breakdown.

Elos System 100 75G - $3599.95 excluding tax & delivery. Probably all in all $4000?

Cadlights Artisan II 70G - $1,474.98 + shipping (about $200) = $1675

SCA Starfire 65G - $799.99 + shipping ($197) = $996.99 + $50 to prime and paint the cabinet white. Don't ask me why. I just have to. I have to. Please. haha.

Well i did my part now its your choice. I vote SCA. That way alot of money left over for nice LE corals. You have to buy circ pumps and lights etc so the money left over can go towards that.

IMO $4000 isnt worth it for a 75g tank. I would pay that for something much larger.

Well i did my part now its your choice. I vote SCA. That way alot of money left over for nice LE corals. You have to buy circ pumps and lights etc so the money left over can go towards that.

IMO $4000 isnt worth it for a 75g tank. I would pay that for something much larger.

True. Yeah agree $4000 too much for a 75g. I do have a maxspect razor 27" which I will be using probably. So MORE $$$ for corals. I agree!

masterbuilder

I was going to say get the ELOS if that's what you really wanted so that later you would'nt have the "didn't buy remorse". I like most of the higher end stuff and feel that often you get what you pay for..BUT...4 grand for a 75G is just over the top.

Like this. Sick.

_MG_9466.jpg

Who's tank is that? Build thread link?
Deleted User 4

I have an Elos Midi and I would NOT buy it again.

Why is that? Discuss.

I was thinking about getting an elos mini in the near future, but after hearing them going out of business in the U.S., I knew it was a no-no for me.

Why is that? Discuss.

I was thinking about getting an elos mini in the near future, but after hearing them going out of business in the U.S., I knew it was a no-no for me.

Here is what I like about it:

• Great quality, especially the beveled glass
  • Built in area in the sump for top off water.

Here is what I don't like about it:

• It's loud. And when I say loud, I mean LOUD. Loud enough to keep me from sleeping because I can hear the overflow gurgle through two rooms, down a hall, and in my bedroom. LOUD! I created a baffle with a credit card to reduce the noise. The overflow is completely sealed so you can't get in to it to modify it properly.
  • It's a microbubble factory. I had to rig a filter sock to stop the bubbles.
  • Oddly designed sump.
  • Terrible instructions. Elos has a hard time translating Italian to English. Most of their instructions don't make sense. And they don't get into details, like how to put the skimmer together, or what the compartments are for in the sump. Nothing is explained properly.

I suggest you Google "Elos overflow noise" and "Elos microbubbles".

Deleted User 4

• It's loud. And when I say loud, I mean LOUD. Loud enough to keep me from sleeping because I can hear the overflow gurgle through two rooms, down a hall, and in my bedroom. LOUD! I created a baffle with a credit card to reduce the noise. The overflow is completely sealed so you can't get in to it to modify it properly.
  • Oddly designed sump.
  • Terrible instructions. Elos has a hard time translating Italian to English. Most of their instructions don't make sense. And they don't get into details, like how to put the skimmer together, or what the compartments are for in the sump. Nothing is explained properly.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

• Oddly designed sump.

My elos mini was dead silent. The sump is awesome if your remove the angled piece of glass in there. Allows more room for a better skimmer. The micro bubbles come from there POS skimmer.

Be careful buying Elos products. They switched distributors and are having a hard time with the change. I bought a new door for my Midi and I've been waiting over 3 months for it. I paid for it on May 9th and I still don't have it.

Archived