Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fluval Spec V

BigDookie

Got mine today. Fits perfect. Great design. Really appreciate the Swedish fish as well :)

I can't believe how well the surface skimmer works. I literally ran my pump dry because I had it positioned too high on the overflow.

I may have to actually get a fish for my spec now...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Stevie! I got my media basket and it is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I'm so happy with it!

however, I'm having problems with the surface skimmer. It doesn't seem to cover/block the slots that the tabs go into, so its no longer skimming the surface. Do you have any suggestions or tips?

Hey Stevie! I got my media basket and it is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I'm so happy with it!

however, I'm having problems with the surface skimmer. It doesn't seem to cover/block the slots that the tabs go into, so its no longer skimming the surface. Do you have any suggestions or tips?

Mine doesn't fully block the 2 end slots but still skims like crazy.

Yeah, mines not doing that. Mine is set as high as possible and the water line is below the lip of the surface skimmer, instead all the water is going thru those 2 holes

Water will always take the path of least resistance, you can't have the surface skimmer above the water level. It needs to be just below it and adjust fine tuning it to your tank. The water needs to flow just above the to of the surface skimmer which forces surface film onto the rear chamber.

The tabs go into the end slots, they are flexible so you can bend the out wards but water will fully enter most of that area, yet 98% of the other grates are blocked so water will skim above it.

got mine a couple of days ago and finally my tank arrived today too. Just got it all nice and wet and slid it right in. ;)

Tease! Of course, you are so close to the snowy tundra and I am all the way down here in the Wild West. JEALOUS! Will post some pics in my thread when I get it all in. Bought my test kit from inTank as well so I can monitor my cycle.

Location Date Local Time Activity Elm Grove, WI, United States 12/05/2013 8:40 P.M. Origin Scan United States 12/05/2013 4:30 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS
PS This is the tracking info as of tonight...whiskey tango foxtrot?

Water will always take the path of least resistance, you can't have the surface skimmer above the water level. It needs to be just below it and adjust fine tuning it to your tank. The water needs to flow just above the to of the surface skimmer which forces surface film onto the rear chamber.

The tabs go into the end slots, they are flexible so you can bend the out wards but water will fully enter most of that area, yet 98% of the other grates are blocked so water will skim above it.

Yeah, I used to have a piece of plastic glued behind the overlow to not only give better surface skimming, but also to raise the water level in the tank. But when I try and raise the surface skimmer, all the water flows into those 2 side slots. I think I'm going to have to go back to the plastic.

Yeah, I used to have a piece of plastic glued behind the overlow to not only give better surface skimming, but also to raise the water level in the tank. But when I try and raise the surface skimmer, all the water flows into those 2 side slots. I think I'm going to have to go back to the plastic.

Are you using the stock return pump? I'm wondering if the stock pump has a hard time keeping the level up high enough. I'm using a 606 and the hole isn't plugged and it has no problem overflowing mainly above the surface skimmer.

quick question for StevieT, should I silicone off the bottom slit or leave it?

We recommend it. It's a safety hole to keep the pump from running dry, no other AIO does this. If your not too much of a tard it wont' happen, problem from a filtration standpoint is it allows a lot of detritus to get in the rear chamber and screws with surface skimming.

PS This is the tracking info as of tonight...whiskey tango foxtrot?

The thermal missed it's departure scan. You will have it Wednesday, NV is a 4 day zone from inTank global HQ

It missed it's outbound scan. You will have it Wednesday, NV is a 4 day zone from inTank global HQ

Thanks Dude! Looking forward to receiving it. Thought my package was stuck in purgatory.

Am I missing anything important to the 606 installation?

To install in Fluval Spec:

1. Simply pull off snap fit front and rear covers.

1%283%29.jpg

2. Cut about 7/8" off the stock 1/2" ID hose. This will bring the hose height down as the stock hose setup is too tall for pump. Dry fit first with stock hose before cutting.

3%283%29.jpg

3. Drop into aquarium, we found best fit is hose closer to rear wall. Reinstall output nozzle.

2%284%29.jpg4%282%29.jpg

5%281%29.jpg6%281%29.jpg

Thanks for posting the minijet 606 install instructions. Went right in, no fuss, 2 minutes tops. :bowdown:

My media basket, media, and test kit scheduled to arrive tomorrow!

<evil chuckle> :haha:

Worth noting on Minijet 606 installation.

My unit did NOT come with the cover on the bottom of the pump. When I installed without it, it made a small but annoying vibration sound. I put this cover back on with the four suction cups, which required that I trim the tubing another ~1/4".

I used a long chopstick to make sure the pump was not touching the walls at the bottom of the return chamber, and then used the chopstick to press down on the pump to engage the suction cups.

Still very minor but acceptable pump noise...and the flow is great.

Also, it may be easier to fit a heater if you turn the pump 180 degrees so the outlet nozzle is close to the tank. The way shown the pump outlet sort of blocks the heater, or at least my heater.

Well I didn't get as much flow over the skimmer as I would have liked and plugging the bottom hole would be a pain now that I have the tank cycled, so I went ahead and ordered the 606. ;)

Archived