Coral Vue Hydros

Amano Styled Coldwater Tank

AquaticEngineer

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer

So I got under the house last night and checked out the area that the tank sits on and it has 2 4x6 beams it sits on that run the length of the tank. Holding those 4x6 beams are 4x4 posts that sit on the foundation at all 4 points.

I'm still going to put some 4x4 posts in the middle of the 4x6's that span the length of the nook, but I think I'm pretty safe with the area I picked for this tank :D

Here's pics of the under side.

temporary_zpscb56d5f1.jpg

temporary_zps63286d24.jpg

temporary_zps106ed874.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Here's a video of it running so you can see the water feature and hear it, its ridiculously quiet now with the dursos dialed in. I still may get a better pump and run some sound deadening material on the inside to make it "mouse taking a pee" quiet :lol:
http://s246.photobucket.com/user/Stuwobbe/media/WP_20131111_002_zps6e32392e.mp4.html
th_WP_20131111_002_zps6e32392e.jpg

That's seriously bad ass. Its been a long time since I've seen a sizable cold water.

llama roadkill

This is awesome! What kind of cold water livestock are you going to put in there? Lythrypnus dalli?

You'd probably never even see it!

But wouldn't a group be awesome?! Like 40?!

AquaticEngineer

Sorry, what are the plans on stocking?

A little bit of everything awesome that I've either seen, collected, or sold in the past couple years :) Maybe a Sarcastic Fringehead since I have a source and always wanted one :) I have a Yellowfin Fringehead in my nano tank, but it's just not the same, lol.

This is awesome! What kind of cold water livestock are you going to put in there? Lythrypnus dalli?

I may toss a bunch in there, but I think they are small enough I would be constantly fetching them out of the overflows on this big of a tank.

You'd probably never even see it!

But wouldn't a group be awesome?! Like 40?!

Agreed :) If I can get em for a reasonable price. But I think a school of perch may be the dominating motion in the tank.

llama roadkill
A little bit of everything awesome that I've either seen, collected, or sold in the past couple years :) Maybe a Sarcastic Fringehead since I have a source and always wanted one :) I have a Yellowfin Fringehead in my nano tank, but it's just not the same, lol.

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg They are the coolest fish in existence!

Wouldn't it eat everything that could fit in it mouth like an Angler would?

Holy crap! Loving this tank. Remember when you first started thread and lost track. Damn glad to find it again. Then light mounting is seriously badass. Rock this biatch out!

Very nice build!! Cant wait to see it with some schools of fish!

Have you done a DIY thread on these? -Im very intrigued!

So here is the mock up of the DIY imitation Kessils I made to go over my tank with the articulating brackets attached.

lobstertanklights4_zps59cdfe38.jpg

I was actually at red lobster with my girlfriend a couple of months ago and while we were waiting for a table I kept talking about how awesome it would be to turn one of these tanks into a reef I love the dimensions. Glad to see someone had the same idea (kind of). Definitely can't wait to see how this turns out.

Archived