ReefCleaners.org

Spinstreams Vs. Hydorflo

tlombardo

I recently put two spinstreams on my new 16g IM tank that is in my room and they make a decent amount of noise. This is my bedroom so maybe I am just more sensitive than the people that claim they are "silent" but these things added significantly to the noise from the buzzing stock pump that I am switching out very soon. Are yours really silent?

I understand the hydor flo does the same thing but just doesnt look as cool are these quieter? does anyone know how they compare in size?

Thanks

Harrisonbored

have both. switched out Hydor for Spinstream and never looked back.

Hydor as it aged (even with regular cleaning) would stick, not to mention would always jam with snails.

Spinstream has been flawless

As for noise... neither made any that I could hear. And my tank is in my bedroom as well.

Right now I am using the stock pump and my upgrade is only a little more powerful so that should be an issue. I will try cleaning mine out as they may have sand in them but if that doesnt work I might have to make a new post in the classified section because this noise is too much.

how long have you had the hydor? do you clean it and does it ever get stuck?

Is there anyone that has had both?

I clean it every so often (maybe once a month?), I believe both types need to be cleaned to keep it from slowing down. I have had it about a year now, works the same as the day I got it. It never jammed unless a dwarf cerith crawled inside it.

You may want to give them a little time to actually get some build up in them. The gear set in them is designed to be loose at the beginning, so that when they get packed full of gunk, the gears can still turn. Mine was noisy at first, but after some time, it got quieter.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

IM made it so only spinstream will fit on their tanks. I use spinstream and it is loud, click click click. But since I put it on, I can tell everything is happier than when just using stock noz. But I'm going to take it off and put back on stock nozzle and add an koralia 240 for the extra flow.

That's not entirely true about the fitment. Sure, they made it fit their tanks by default, but it does come with a few adapters to have it fit on other setups. The stock fitting on the Spinstream fits nice and tightly into 1/2" CPVC fittings if you need to go that way. That's what I used on my PicOAquarium tank, as it has a 1/2" NPT Loc-Line bulkhead there by default. One 1/2" NPT to 1/2" slip CPVC fitting and I was good to go.

Have both, both are silent. I kept the spin stream on for maybe 12 hrs and decided it cut too much flow.

Is this on your red sea max? Do you know if it would fit?

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...