Pod Your Reef

Unhappy Anemone

Reef_Obsessed

If the anemone looked worse after the phosguard addition then I'm going to guess too rapid a fall in phosphate. Phosguard is string stuff, I like to use it as well, but any rapid drop can stress things out.

It's also possible that not doing water changes and then suddenly changing your routine caused too quick a swing in parameters, typically DOCs (disolved organic compounds) that caused some stress.

I might take out the Phosguard and see if conditions improve for the anemone.

Reef_Obsessed

So water changes killed the shrimp? I added phosguard and uped water changes as a result of unhappy anemone. Phosguard doesn't really show ANY change in my water-either by test kit or by show of cyano algae. Wondering if I should add a GFO tumbler in chamber 2 and eliminate rock rubble in that chamber all together. Really regretting not drilling tank and adding sump!!! Feeling like nano tank isn't for me at all.....HELP

Don't add GFO when you are using phosguard. You probably took PO4 down too quickly which is why the nem looks like hell right now. Adding GFO will just make it worse. If you know anyone with a Hanna PO4 meter have them check it with that. If you take PO4 to zero, the bacteria in the tank cannot remove any nitrate, which is another reason not to get too aggressive with PO4 removal media.

It's most likely the rapid change in conditions that's causing the problems. Most inhabitants are better in a stable tank with less than perfect params, and an unstable one with varying but "better" parameters.

Just need to make a plan to get the tank stable. May also want to remove some of the phosguard, not all of it though. You have roughly 25 gallons of water. I would aim for 10% water change per week instead of 20%. Feed 2 - 3 times per week max. Get rid of the rubble in the back. Setup a routine schedule for replacing media and stick to the water change schedule religiously. Assuming you don't have a bad rock problem, you should be able to turn everything around. Getting the tank stable should be the biggest priority.

Reef_Obsessed

I wouldnt run both phosguard and gfo just curious what would be better to improve algae problem. How would I know if I have a bad rock problem or not? Willing to do anything to stop any more fatalities. I had a feeling that 5 gal water changes seemed like too much. I will remove the rock in the back but what would be a suggested routine for the media replacement? Chemi clean elite replacement I mean. And should I add cheato and a submersible light in the back chamber instead of a gfo reactor?

Chaeto would be a great idea. Also chemipure elite does have gfo in it. Chemipure elite and chaeto in the rear would be a good combo without needing additional PO4 removal media.

Reef_Obsessed

Well yesterday I took out the rock rubble in the back and added chaeto and light. Changed 5 gals of water (which I will decrease to 2.5 gals weekly). Cleaned glass and turkey based all rocks thoroughly and siphoned some sand. Sucked out 5 gals of almost black sewage. Cleaned skimmer cup and neck. Now, 27 hrs later, glass, sand and rock are covered in red/brown algae. Ugh!! Is it cycling? Is it cyano? Should I use the chemi clean? I am really wanting to call it quits. Sorry to be such a winey new comer but frustrated. I wanted this nano to add to my life, not take away. Please help

Hi Reef_Obsessed. Well that is true. You probably drop phosphate levels way too fast shocking some of the inhabitants of your tank. Lesson learned. It happens to many people in the hobby. Please, do us a favor, check your ph and post results. Best if done at a Local Fish Store (LFS). Don't trust those strips at all. Use drops. Red Sea, Salifert and if can afford, Hanna meters. Ph may be the cause in my opinion since you say you have a biocube and those tanks are prone to suffer of drop in ph and Alk due to poor gas exchange.

BTW, it seems to me that either you are feeding too much or your nutrient export is inefficient. That may be causing your cyano problem/algae. Frank.

Just hang in there. I promise you most of us have been where you're at right now and most would agree that whether figuring it out the easy or hard way, it's still worth it.

Tanks don't go downhill in a day and you can't fix them in one either. One of the biggest reasons I recommend getting on a schedule is so you aren't messing with the tank 24/7, just once a week'ish and when feeding.

As far as the algae, most likely vacuuming the sand and blasting the rocks freed up a bunch on nutrients and the algae is a result. Very unlikely that the tank is cycling again.

Forgot to ask, do you run floss in the first chamber of your overflow. Definitely do that and replace it weekly at the least.

Well, there is something in there that may be annoying your nemo. Just make changes little by little. Try too feed a bit less (the cyano did no appear just for the fun of it). Do not start moving things around the tank. If the nemo don't like the spot, believe me, it will detach from the rock. So, apparently it is more like something in your water. But, remember, as jestep said, don't change things too fast. BTW, I dissagree in the fact of vacuuming sand. I would increase the flow. Probably start by aiming your water in a different direction and see what works best for you.

Remeber this piece of information: What works for others may not work for you and viceversa.
Frank.

If the sand grain is big an it's a shallow sandbed then vaccing is a good thing, in my opinion. If it's a deep sandbed then don't touch it. Black worries me ... was it really black?

Stupid question....how do you go about cleaning the sand? Won't doing that stir up ammonia and stuff? I thought that disturbing sand was bad. Siphoning it would seem to suck it up

I clean my sand once a week since day one so debris never has a chance to pile up :o Honestly, when it comes to nano's I feel cleaning the sand is better than not. The fact that your sand grain is larger and shallow also means it should be cleaned routinely.

To clean it.. just siphon very small patch every couple days and monitor to make sure you're not releasing too much crud.

Reef_Obsessed

Yeah dropped phosphates way too fast. Will make changes much less slower from now on!! And yes my lighting is not efficient for this tank. Had my eye on Steve's led retrofit system. Been saving up for it. Am happy to report that due to the decreased feeding and water changes the cyano is going away and the anemone is out and starting to look happy once again!!! Gotta remember that these things take time and as most of you have said its a young tank. Thank you for all of your feedback and help!!! Nano on....

Archived