Reef_Obsessed

Unhappy Anemone

Reef_Obsessed

We have a 29 biocube running for 6 months and the last few weeks anemone is not happy. I have uped water changes to 5 gals a week (from 5 a month). And he's still not quite the same. All test kit results are perfect Any suggestions? The pic attached is him happy

Sorry I guess pic file too big. I will reduce and try again

jadedanime

Seems like your tank is a little young for a nem.

• Like 2

Reef_Obsessed

Happy anemone

post-81095-0-01241300-1376415564_thumb.jpg

sparky45

How long have you had the anemone

Reef_Obsessed

Unhappy anemone

post-81095-0-79559200-1376416162_thumb.jpg

pgrVII

What do you mean when you say its unhappy? What's it doing different than before? Any changes in your husbandry techniques (minus water changing)?

Paandemonium

Check your salinity.

Have you made any recent livestock additions?

pgrVII

Ah gotcha,you put the pic up when I posted. What kind of lighting do you have on your bio cube? Feeding schedule?

markalot

Some faults with the information you provided.

1. Your pictures stink!

2. Perfect parameters don't cut it, you MUST list them

3. How much light do you have? Anemones need light

4. What KIND of anemone is this?

5. What research did you do before purchasing the anemone

The tank does not look 6 months old, it looks much younger. Anemones need bright light, stability, and usually an aged tank unless you really know what you're doing.

• Like 1

pgrVII

If it's an LTA they usually prefer a deep sand bed although some may prefer rocks.

Tamberav

By looking at the pics, I would say your water perimeters are off. The 1st pic the rock looks clean but in the unhappy pic... it is covered with cyano or dino and it shouldn't be.

Once a month water changes are not enough, I know you upped it to once a week but do you vac the sand? What is your cleaning routine like?

Do you have anything in the back chambers that could be trapping debris (rock rubble, bioballs, ect)?

What type of filtration do you use?

We have a 29 biocube running for 6 months and the last few weeks anemone is not happy. I have uped water changes to 5 gals a week (from 5 a month). And he's still not quite the same. All test kit results are perfect Any suggestions? The pic attached is him happy

Sorry I guess pic file too big. I will reduce and try again

ward827

Your tank is definitely too young, IMO.

From the second pic it looks like your going through a cyano/dino bloom, as mentioned.

Part of a young tank. Probably why it's not happy. W-

• Like 1

Reef_Obsessed

Had the anemone for 3 months

jadedanime

Your not helping much. Post params and equipment stats please.

gulfsurfer101

Yesh your chemistry is off by the looks og the cyano algae everywhere. Here's what I'd do to beat thst crap. Remove your nem into a 5g bucket with powerhead empty tank into a large bin, scrub off all your rocks with a clean, brand new wire brush, then if possible, take your tank and wash out your sand with a water hose, yes a plain jane water hose. Then fill your tank with brand new freshly mixed water and replace your rock and bamm, you got a fresh tank.

Reef_Obsessed

My apologies all.

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Phosphate 0 (maybe false negative due to the algae bloom)

Calcium 450

Salinity 1.025

Temp 80 degrees

Stock return pump

Mini hydor coralia

Live rock rubble in middle chamber in back with bag of chemi pure elite and not seachem phosguard both in nylon

Oceanic skimmer in chamber 1 along with heater

Last chamber stock return pump and temp probe with esopps float for auto top off with ro/di water

Lights I changed 5 months ago both compact fluorescents

One bulb 454 actinic and the other 50/50

Lighting cycle is 7 hrs actinics 5 hrs all on

Feeding once daily rods food alternated with cyclopeez

And I will try to post better pics little hard to do from my phone

Acielot

If it's an LTA they usually prefer a deep sand bed although some may prefer rocks.

Initially it looked like an LTA to me but I think that it is actually a BTA since there are some slight bubble tips on this one in the first picture.

Reef_Obsessed

Oh yeah bubble tip....

Reef_Obsessed

My husbandry routine is

Cleaning skimmer cup and neck daily-produces tea color skimmite and neck is mucked quite a bit.

Turkey based all rocks every other day.

Clean glass every other day.

Replace filter pad over second chamber weekly.

Mix 5 gal water with heater and larger hydor coralia for mixing a day or two before changing.

Now weekly turn off all pumps turkey based all rocks thoroughly then suck out 5 gals and swap out with fresh water.

markalot

Have you used Phosguard before? Did you rinse it well first? It could be un-rinsed Phosguard or it could be rapid decline in Phosphates. I'm not familiar with more than basic anemone care so I'm just not sure if they are sensitive to phosphate swings.

Last thing I can think of is KH, which you did not provide. It would be good to test it to make sure.

Reef_Obsessed

No I have never used phosguard before. Only been running it in there since sunday. No significant change either way. The only carbonate hardness test I have are the strips. Are those really accurate?

Reef_Obsessed

Stupid question....how do you go about cleaning the sand? Won't doing that stir up ammonia and stuff? I thought that disturbing sand was bad. Siphoning it would seem to suck it up

Snow_Phoenix

Hmm, I gently basted my sand the other day. It did kick up a mini cloud of detritus, but I turned my filter dial to max. capacity and put my skimmer up to 80%, so I managed to get the mess cleared up pretty quick. Be prepared for a hunk of organic gunk though.

Reef_Obsessed

Ugh the saga continues......cleaner shrimp that molted six times in the last 4 months is now dead. Ugh. What is happening????

markalot

Did you happen to use peroxide in the tank or on a rock that was placed back in the tank?