Top Shelf Aquatics

Lumia 5.1 build.

Haelstrom

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Couple questions.

What is the middle shield between the Arduino and the TFT?

And could you have used a single 7A power supply instead of two?

I really like the purple coloration in your last pics, would you say 5his is accurate to what you see or is this a camera white balance correction?

Sorry I haven't replied. Work has had me on the road a bit lately.

The middle shield is just a interface between the Arduino and the TFT. All three pieces come as a kit from Amazon. Since the TFT has a SD slot it has to use multiple different connections from the Arduino and that is what the extra shield does.

You could probably run 2 Lumia's off of one power supply. I liked the idea of not taxing my power supply to max so I went with 2. And most cheaper power supply's (like mine) have a tendency to coil whine the harder you push them. And these have a fair amount of whine just pushing one Lumia.

With the amount of ultra violet and true violet that the Lumia has you can get a nice purple look. All depends on how you adjust the channels. If you turn up all the channels you get a very white look.

• 3 weeks later...
very clean looking fixture!

How do you like the lumia? Anything you would change about the color?

Thanks. The only issue I've had with the Lumia is with the whites. They are very easy excite. My controller has a resolution of 0-255. At about 10-20 the whites start to glow. Makes it harder to get that real actinic look. Which for me is fine since I prefer the more natural looks and not quite so blue. Other than that I love them. Easy to work with and put a lot of light. They are bright. I'm planning on getting the optics at some point to concentrate the light more for more PAR on the bottom of the tank.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Hi Haelstrom, great work!

The cable cat5e support a current and voltage transmission a power supply to a lumia? in my project i think in only 1 cat5e for two lumia, but i no know if cat5e support a 1.4 AMP each wire.

2 meters, so you're probably outside of the US, I take it, so Mcmaster isn't a good option for you. You should be able to find in your country, though, multi-conductor cables in the right gauges, so I'd poke around a bit :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Themaddhatter

This looks great! I'm planning a similar build using 6" makersleds. I'm Leaning towards the lumia 5.1, though I'm considering Reef led labs economy chip as well. I like the lumia 5.1 since it's a lot more powerful. How are you finding your setup?

• 2 weeks later...

This looks great! I'm planning a similar build using 6" makersleds. I'm Leaning towards the lumia 5.1, though I'm considering Reef led labs economy chip as well. I like the lumia 5.1 since it's a lot more powerful. How are you finding your setup?

I like the Lumia 5.1. They have worked well in my 75. My only complaint is that with the 5.1 The Whites are easlily excited when powering up the Blues. So if you turn on just the Royal Blue the White will power up as well. No way to stop it. So you can't get that real Blue look to your tank. I've debated adding a couple of royal blue individual leds around the Lumia and use them for moon lights as well as additional blue color for the tank.

• 4 months later...
marcosasjr

Hi Haelstrom, in channel 4 of lumia 5.1 is 32V, you use resitor or stepdown dc-dc to down voltage 36V to 32V for this channel or use 36V in channel 4?

Thx

jedimasterben

Hi Haelstrom, in channel 4 of lumia 5.1 is 32V, you use resitor or stepdown dc-dc to down voltage 36V to 32V for this channel or use 36V in channel 4?

Thx

Resistors are not needed. The voltage is regulated by the driver.

• 3 weeks later...
jedimasterben

Lumia 5.1 spec has the word "plant "

Does this mean this LED is meant for plant use?

If there are any left of the 5.1 version, yes, they are for planted tanks. The Lumia 5.2 'grow' is for terrestrial plants.

Archived