Pod Your Reef

MicMol Aqua Mini LED upgrade

matt1977

Hello - I thought I'd share my recent lighting upgrade to the MicMol Aqua Mini LED.

The light I had was the stock light that came with the Aquarium kit. It was a good light, however, I've noticed the LEDs have progressively lost their intensity. Then a few LEDs on the stock light are no longer working.

The original light.

post-81033-0-05239800-1375919049_thumb.jpg

After a bit of research I've opted for the MicMol Aqua Mini. I got the Basic Unit for $70 AUD

Here is the write-up from their website:

"The new Aqua mini features a 1.8 inch thin uni-body enclosure, carved from a single solid block of aluminium. Created by computer controlled CNC for numerical engineering precision. Inside and out we make use of environmentally friendly materials to minimize the environmental footprint. You have never seen an aquarium light like quite like this one, built to make any aquarium owner proud. A removable panel at the bottom makes cleaning inside completely painless. Once you're inside you will see how clean and organized the new Aqua mini is. It also features a ultra silent cooling fan that you will barely hear when running."

post-81033-0-37484400-1375919560_thumb.jpg

Technical Specs

Maximum continuous power: 30W

Line voltage: 100-240V AC
Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
Operating temperature: 50° to 113° F (10° to 45° C)
Storage temperature: -40° to 140° F (-40° to 60° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 90% noncondensing
Application: 10 to 25 Gallon Tanks

"We use a combination of 80 and 100 degree reflectors to penetrate the deepest tanks and to also provide greater coverage. Our independent refraction optic design provides full light coverage for your tank."

post-81033-0-52677000-1375919459_thumb.jpg

Unboxing

post-81033-0-59482000-1375919645_thumb.jpg

post-81033-0-87662000-1375919658_thumb.jpg

What's inside:

- The main Unit

- Arm Bracket

- Allen key and screws for mounting

- Power cord

- Instruction pamphlet

post-81033-0-70706900-1375919669_thumb.jpg

Initial thoughts: The packaging is very good. It reminds me of an Apple product (including the aroma).. The quality of the main unit and the accessories that comes along with it seems like a well thought out product.

post-81033-0-19920000-1375920258_thumb.jpg

There are spacers included to cater for thicker glass/mount. The instruction pamphlet needs too be a bit more detailed.

Installation

The main LED unit is attached to the Arm bracket via a screw. It's actually very time consuming as the allen key can't be rotated completely to tighten the screw. But we got there at the end.

The arm bracket was simple to attach to the tank. 2 screws and it's firmly held in place.

My first concern was the weight of the main LED unit and the arm. It felt heavy - I became paranoid that it was too heavy for the glass - nightmares of cracking glass and a tsunami of water flooding the kitchen!

post-81033-0-11364400-1375920288_thumb.jpg

However, it on and looks like it will be fine.

It's installed. The annoying green light on the font of the unit is constantly on when the unit is plugged in.

post-81033-0-53239700-1375920751_thumb.jpg

The unit fans turns on once it's plugged in to a power source. The fans are quiet and I can 'feel' air coming out of the vents. There are two touch button to turn on the blue or white LED lights. You can turn both on as well. The down side - the unit LEDs won't turn on from the switch - you have to physically touch the buttons for it to turn on. This means it won't work with a timer - this is not good. I will have to find a way to by pass the buttons and turn the unit on from the switch - a weekend project - out comes the soldering iron again.

It's Damn Bright - It's ON!

This is certainly a huge change from the stock light I had. The light from the aqua mini is intense! Crisp, beautiful light. I had to mask 2 of the white LED's to bring the intensity down so I don't shock the inhabitants... I will slowly bring it to full intensity within the next month..

post-81033-0-09532500-1375921834_thumb.jpgpost-81033-0-03475200-1375921850_thumb.jpgpost-81033-0-12815800-1375921873_thumb.jpg

Overall, feeling is that quality of the unit and the light it produces are excellent. The unit looks like a mac mini - very cool. Downside? Timer issue. Out of ten, I give this light a 7. And for $70 AUD it's worth it.

Hi MeepNand!

The only info there is on the LEDs in the unit are:

3X Cool white white led channel
Cree: XP-G - Temperature (CCT): 8,000~10,000K
3X Royal blue blue led channel
1X Warm white special led channel
Cree: XP-G - Temperature (CCT): 3,000~3,500K
Cree: XP-E - Wavelength: 440~460nm
2X Blue special led channel
Cree: XP-E - Wavelength: 460~490nm
  • 6 months later...

Not sure if OP is still following, but anyone know the coverage of this unit?

It say 20gal max, but i think it would be perfect for <10gal. It's a nice little unit i have to say, but their customer service is 1 star if i have to rate.

There is also a larger version, that i was looking at over a frag tank, but have not seen too many reviews on this product.

You buy it! Then we can know if it's junk or not...... :)

patrickbruno91

You buy it! Then we can know if it's junk or not...... :)

lol. Maybe i just might. But i can't find the pro one anywhere for sale.

• 5 months later...
MisturrTinnie

Any updates on this? Is it strong enough to grow SPS? Looks like it from the par readings but never could trust their graphs.

MisturrTinnie

I have it and its grows sps perfect in a aqueon evolve 8 lights are at 60%

Good to know, I got one coming for my Spec V, guess I'll start at 40% and move up if my corals need it.

I just want to know how he got it for 70aud, thats something like $60 usd.

Im looking at one on ebay for $179.

Also the O.P said that you cant hook up a timer. I just checked the website and it has a timer built in. You just need to program it.

MisturrTinnie

I just want to know how he got it for 70aud, thats something like $60 usd.

Im looking at one on ebay for $179.

Also the O.P said that you cant hook up a timer. I just checked the website and it has a timer built in. You just need to program it.

Reason why he does't have a timer is probably because he has the first version. The one you are looking at is the 2nd version. I have one coming tomorrow, hopefully it all works perfectly.

Reason why he does't have a timer is probably because he has the first version. The one you are looking at is the 2nd version. I have one coming tomorrow, hopefully it all works perfectly.

did you get it on ebay?

MisturrTinnie

did you get it on ebay?

Nope, got it from a reefer secondhand. But I will post a review over my fluval spec v once i get it and have everything dialed in.

Archived